5.0 out of 5 stars "A privilege to have available!", 16 Sept. 2000
Joseph J. Brigante "Joseph Brigante" (Norwalk, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sold (Audio CD)
This is Boy George's first solo effort and it is absolutely fantastic. Steve Levine, Culture Club producer of the first three albums of that magic group got back together with George and produced this album. It is just brilliant. The reason I say it is a privilege to be available is that this has been out of print for almost ten years in the U.S. from Virgin America. That is a crime, as many songs on this album pack a punch. "Keep Me In Mind" and "To Be Reborn" are brilliant, and our missing from all USA greatest hits albums. "Everything I Own" came from this album, and believe it or not, when this song appears on both European and US greatest hits albums, it is a slightly different version. The version on its original album, this album, is better. When you purchase the album, you'll find out why. Last, but not least, the best song on the album is the title cut, "Sold". That is a masterpiece in its own right. This song is not on any U.S. albums what so ever. Again, it's a privilege to have this available in the U.K., since Boy George proved he was even brilliant with out the best group in the world, Culture Club. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars a mighty fine return to life!!, 26 April 2008
This review is from: Sold (Audio CD)
1987, and George's troubles are behind him - he celebrates by releasing a truly remarkable solo album. First single Everything I Own, had already sat at No.1 for 2 weeks earlier on in the year only to be knocked off the top by Ferry Aid, in which George was on anyway. No worries Boy George is back on top form, after the previous year where George was hooked on substances which were front page news the world over, who would have thought that he would of come back with such a fantastic album. The second single, Keep Me In Mind, reached No.29 sporting a video filmed in Barbados showing George looking tremendously well and sporting a little of his lost weight back. Great to see, a third single, the title track peaked at No.24 - but it wasnt chart positions George was looking for this time, it was support and a fourth single,To Be Reborn, the tear jerking ballad rode up to No.11, marking George has a remarkable solo artist in the UK. The album hit No.29 - don't let this put you off as this album is full of great tracks, other tracks to check out are I Asked For Love, Freedom, Just Aint Enough,Little Ghost, Where Are You Now and We've Got The Right, hard to believe this album is about to reach it's 21st birthday, has it has been on my cd player time and time again - i will never tire of this album, it's fab!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep this Cd in mind, 21 Jun. 2005
J.Lethias (chartres France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sold (Audio CD)
In 1987, Boy George just came off drugs, skinny, fragile and lost. How surprising was this LP to me then ! Brilliant songs, gorgeous look (see CD booklet photos and the Red-peg look, you'll see!!), and a rage to overcome his own devils, George released then his first solo album. A vey good album with unforgettable songs like To Be Reborn (my favourite) and Keep me in Mind. Rock songs like Next Time or Sold will surely sound amazing. Reaggae Hit Everything I own is still great. This is a great record I highly recommend to people who'd like to hear that George is more than a Karma Chameleon. Buy it ! Play it loud ! Enjoy !

4.0 out of 5 stars First Solo Outing After Culture Club, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sold (1987) (Audio CD)
I didn't like this album when it was originally released. Apart from one or two tracks, listening again I think I wanted another Culture Club album when George was trying to get away from that. I still don't like Sold the title track to angsty. I Asked For Love is great and should have been a single. Keep Me In Mind is just total George and sticks in your head like beans to a saucepan. Everything I Own, remains Georges only solo number 1 and is a great song but shows the damage drugs and smoking did to his voice. Freedom is another reggae track and George sounds fab on this bubbly track. Just Ain't Enough is a real Mowtown stomper written with Motown Legend Lamont Dozier. Where Are You Now (When I Need You?) cheery song but just okay. Little Ghost is like George does Jim Morrison, surprisingly it works. Next time sound very jazzy, more Marc Almond than George, love it but Georges voice sounds off. We've Got The Right is cool and laid back George on form. The Album ends on "To Be Reborn" which is just classic, if it hadn't of been for the upset in his life becoming public I think this would have been number one. Why did I not like this album, it sounds better today than it did back then. Looking forward to his new album out this month 27.10.2013

Sold
Sold by Boy George (Audio CD - 1998)