5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Resonance, 14 Jan 2007
Savan "Savan" (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is one of the most emotive and eloquent singers of his generation. For anyone who is interested in hearing pure qawalli in its most fundamental form, then this is the album to buy. While I feel that modern mixes probably resonate with his newest fans, to truly appreciate his talent and to observe his connection with god, then this is definitely the album to enlighten and to enrich all of his fans. The first song, Shamas Ud Doha, is easily the most powerful qawalli I have ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best NFAK Qawwali Selection I have heard absolutely brilliant!, 24 Dec 2008
Matloub Husayn-Ali-Khan "Matloub" (South Yorkshire, Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
"Shahen Shah" was my seventh purchase by early 1999 and it was absolutely brilliant! The opening track: 'Shams-Ud-Doha, Badrid-Ud-Duja' is a Nasheed (song) in style of 'Naat' (meaning in praise of The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). To translate: "You are the true picture of God (Allah)...I am lucky just to be your follower. Even God (Allah) hold in such respect that he invited you to heaven..."

These lines are from the opening track were recited by a listener as part of his prayer: 'Darood Taj' that was broadcast live on Radio Ramadhan Sheffield in 2002: "...Jismuhu Muqaddam-Muattarum-Muthharum-Munawwarun fil-baite-wal-haram. SHAMSID-DUHA, BADRID-DUJA, Sadril-ula, Nooril-huda, Kahfil - Wara..." A prayer dedicated to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). The second track is dedicated to God & Muhammad (PBUH) & the Four 12th /13th century Sufi Saints: Haji Baba, Khawaja Moinuddin Chisty, Khawaja Qutub, Baba Fareed Gung Shakar: "Allah, Muhammad, Char Yaar" (four friends - saints). Track three: 'Kali Kali Zulfon Ke Phande Nah Dalo' translates as: "Oh beautiful, long black hair - don't ensnare me in your bewitching net" & Track four: "Meri Ankhon Ko Bakhshe Hain Aansoon" meaning: "You have brought tears to my eyes ...we are separated by great distances" are either 'Ghazals' or romantic songs about love' beauty & tears of separation! Track five: 'Nit Khair Mansan Sohnia Main Teri' I have already mentioned in my other reviews and which is a Punjabi song by Badar. This is a very popular Qawwali and is one of my favourites. The final track (six): 'Kehna Ghalat Ghalat To Chhupana Sahi Sahi' is about hypocrisy in love & simply means: "revealing what is untrue & hiding the truth!" Or, "She has taken my heart in her hand. Tell me the truth - what is the price of my heart? The word "Dil" meaning heart is repeated continuously to a great crescendo!

This is one of the best NFAK Qawwali selections I have heard. "Shahbaz" is currently missing from my own collection. Although Shahbaz has received rave reviews and it is said to be on par with Shahen Shah in that it is excellent. To compliment this selection - you must buy: A Sufi Supreme, Shahbaz & Devotional Songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, 28 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
I bought this record on the sole recommendation of a record shop clerck. It's one of the most amazing pieces of music I own, and introduced me to qawali. Whichever your approach to divinity might be, this record takes you closer to the source. And you can dance to it as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shining Star, 22 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
I bought this album several years ago and I still regularly listen to it. I first came across Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan on Trent Reznor's 'Natural Born Killers' soundtrack. I decided to investigate and ever since I have been hooked. It is one of the best CDs I have ever bought.
I would say that this is the best of all his albums. It's qawali in its purest classical form. There's nothing wrong with the other albums at all (they're all excellent) but this one is the 'Shining Star' - the 'Shahen Shah' of the title. I cannot recommend this album highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
A wonderful voice and a wonderful album.

A great loss when he died

What more can I say - buy it!

Beautiful Sufi music.

5.0 out of 5 stars First in its class, 28 Jan 2013
JDX (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was up there with the gods of performance. I was lucky enough to see and hear him on a number of occasions. This is the great tradition still in a very pure form. There are other records where he makes concessions to the contemporary world. Well worth listening to too. For me this is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan at his most magisterial, his most spiritual, and his his most exemplary performance of the ancient tradition. To my western ears brought up on the great Hindi musicians this music has very strong relations. In the Muslim tradition the great virtuosity is in the voice. Here you can experience wonderful parallels with the great sitar players of that other tradition. This music is ancient and in this performance totally alive and now. Most "World Music," is dreary second rate stuff. This is gold. This belongs with Imran Khan, Callas, Tortellier, Horovitz. Think I'm overstating it? Try singing along! The detailing has all the richness of great Muslim architecture.

There are hundreds of recordings so I can only guess at it but I doubt there is a recording that improves much on this one. This is how I remember him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov 2014
This review is from: Shahen Shah (Audio CD)
As always, an incredible album from an unmatched Qawal

Shahen Shah
Shahen Shah by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (Audio CD - 1989)