Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 March 2015
I have this on vinyl, but no longer have a deck to play it on. Terrific early "prog rock", Emmerson's keyboard work is fast, furious, and the arrangements of classical works to incorporate his playing are great.
on 1 February 2015
I actually missed getting this on vynal. I really rate this. The forerunner of the establishment of ELP.
on 13 November 2011
I have not heard Five Bridges for many years and I have to say that I really enjoyed it - Typical Keith Emerson, the orchestra added an extra element. In its time it was a landmark Album and spent quite a while in the charts

I like the Karelia Suite but am not sure about the attempts to recreate the traffic and other noises which could be heard in Newcastle across the bridges, still given the technology available at the time it was a brave attempt.

The singing is not really up to much but they were mainly an instrumental group so it was not much of an issue

There are some bonus tracks which complement the album quite well.

If you like keyboard based rock music fused with classical themes then you wont go too far wrong with this one
on 4 January 2015
Remastered sounds fantastic. Thanks Mark Powell
on 25 September 2010
............. i really enjoy this album, i bought it from my local record shop ( not around any more, it,s all large companies and "shop assistants" )I remember this being the first time I ever listened to an album in a lounge room set up ,( most were small booths which made me feel uncomfortable and so avoided ), a great system sold me on Five Bridges at once , it sounded incredible !.....................It was purchased and I still have it , but with the advent of cd's a change was required . I know there are those who prefer vinyl steadfastly , and while I agree aesthetically , cd reproduction offers a surface noise free quality. There is nothing that makes me remove an LP from the turntable , than a constant repetitive tick !
....back to Five Bridges , sort of.... the whole concept of the album, and exquisite work of Keith Emerson is what does it, and mix of the classical composer's he employs , an added touch of class ! So five stars it is........................ but I sought it's cd equivalent . from a torrent site and it was not a success , so I implore you people out there , to go out (or stay at your computer console ) and buy the CD , ( as I have done)
mp3's by their very nature , split the music into files , and any LP that has a flowing order leading from one section to the next is split into sections with a gap between. So, any ambiance is destroyed at the first change you come to. I could not countenance this affront to my hearing , so I, and I urge you to as well , seek out the real thing ! From "Dark Side Of The Moon" , to Spirit's "Future Games" , to "Five Bridges" , do yourself a big favour ** , and hear them as they were meant to be ! I do download stuff from the internet and I understand the arguments against it , but I own 3500+ cd's and 2000+ LP's , so I support the artists , but I ain't rich enough to buy all the things I like.....and I like this album very much indeed !!!! I have three versions of it now........ guess which two I shall hang on to !

** addendum : why do these damned computers insist on telling us the correct spelling is the US version............... we wrote the dictionary before america was even known to exist dammit !
on 24 November 2015
used to have on vinyl, still sounds good.
on 15 September 2009
This is an album I bought when it first appeared many decades ago. It was my first intro to anything classical and it broadened my musical taste. This latest version comes over as fresh as the first time listen on vinyl. This is one of the best examples of prog rock-classical blends. Listen and enjoy.
on 18 October 2014
An excellent CD. I was very pleased that it was supplied in a Jewel case and not one of those flimsy cardboard abominations!.
on 10 October 2014
Just another addition to the collection. A reminder of a lost youth or maybe music I enjoy and decided to replace from vynil.
on 9 April 2013
A superb piece of Classic Rock Music. The right length to listen to complete. Keeps the listener captivated and wanting more