5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just the singles!
Published on 2 Aug 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars It's version 2.0, no special edition
This is a single cd not 2 cds.I only give one star.
Published 3 months ago by Víctor Blanca García

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just the singles!, 2 Aug 2000
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
Although when I first bought this album I was almost disappointed when it seemed like Shirl and the boys had failed to live upto the quality of their first album, my attitude quickly changed once I had played the CD a few times. Although the opening two singles 'Push It' and 'I Think I'm Paranoid', were the pick of the first half of the album, it is with brilliant tracks 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing' and 'You Look So Fine', among others, that the band truly come into their own. Unfortunately because these songs would not recieve radio airplay Garbage are viewed by most as "A rock band with a Scottish woman who likes to shout a lot and are only capable of writing songs like that", whereas those who have listened to the whole album know otherwise.
Looking forward to version 3.0!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtracked exciting times, 15 Feb 2004
Mr. Aj Des Forges (Bristol, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
This album became an absolute favourate of mine in summer 1998, when I realised that it was an absolutely incredibly heartfelt record, that just captures feelings of hope, dispair and love and enjoyment. 'The Trick is to Keep Breathing' is so beautiful its a wander it wasn't released as a single. It was a move on from the previous record, but many reviews of Version 2.0 made out like it was some 70's disco record, which it isn't. There maybe some Blondie Influence there but really this is a purely unique sounding record that few people I know have truly appreciated. Tracks like 'Sleep Togethor' have an excitement about them that is hard to describe, and 'you look so fine' is a soaring beauty that captures feelings of desperation like no other. If you like any ecclectic mixtures of electronic beats and sounds, with quality guitars topped by pure female vocal, with melancholic yet uplifting tunes, this one has to be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal electro-rock, an underrated classic, 18 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Garbage's second album from 1998 is their best without a question. This is a truly amazing album. Garbage are unfairly thrown in with other Britpop and Britrock bands but the difference is that Garbage actually write good songs and the combination of Butch Vig (he produced Nirvana's "Nevermind") and Shirley Manson is about as holy as Lucifer.
The good thing about this album is that the album tracks are just as good as the singles, which are excellent anyway. There are one or two fillers ("Dumb", "Sleep Together" and "Wicked Ways" are a bit MOR but they're OK) but the rest of the album is killer. The singles (5 of which were released between April '98 and May '99) all charted in the Top 20 and it's easy to see why. The three best tracks are the most serene: the despondent "Medication", the lovely strings melody of "The Trick Is To Keep Breathing" and the failed love of "You Look So Fine".
I wasn't expecting much from this when I heard it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Buy this, it truly is one of the best albums of the 1990s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vow - Wow!, 15 April 2001
By A Customer
Many moons ago I was watching the first series of 'Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married'. In the scene where the girls visit The Velvet Room there played a song with the chorus "I think I'm paranoid". No doubt about it - I had to have that song in my collection. A quick Internet search later and Amazon very kindly offered me this 'special edition' album (at no extra cost to the standard version at that time). Once the CD arrived I played track 2 a few times, then disc 1 from start to finish. Where had Garbage been all my life? Sure, 'Milk' (NOW35) and 'Stupid Girl' (New Hits 96 / The Greatest Hits Of 96) were good, but I never felt compelled to buy a Garbage album.
On the whole this album is brilliant. 'Hammering in my head' is a little bit cheesy, but this soon grows on you just as long as you can get past the intro. The slower tracks are much better: 'Medication', 'The trick is to keep breathing' and the hauntingly beautiful 'You look so fine' ("...let's pretend - happy end"). Goosebumps guaranteed.
After a week or so of continuous play, it was time to put in disc 2. I'd put this off because when I first saw the album I felt that just 4 extra live tracks on a separate disc was a bit cheap. Was I mistaken! 19 minutes of live excellence. The first three are just as good as their studio equivalents, but not 'Vow'. This one's so much better. A bass-laden track that never lets up. "I nearly died"? More like "I've never felt more alive"! Turn the volume up and lose yourself. This track alone is worth the asking price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 1 July 2001
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
Absolutly brilliant! The album has heavier rock feel to it than the fisrt ablum, which is not bad just a little different. The lyrics on the album really capture the emotion of the song and all the songs have something special about them. At first i only listened to the released songs like 'Special', 'Paranoid' and 'Push It' but i soon discovered that all 12 tracks were fantastic. It is very rarely that you find an addictive album, but once you play 'Version 2.0' you will want to play it again and again. Overall this album is brilliant, and equals and possibly suppases the first album's quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars GARBAGE,DEFINATELY NOT!, 13 Oct 2001
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
This a crafty and timeless album which is years ahead,musically than when it was released.The album has a very realistic and poetic feel to it,and doesn't dissapoint.It's my favourite album because of it's powerful lyrics,edge,rock and punk vibe and it's loud factor.All the songs on this album are equally great.The slower songs 'medication','the trick is to keep breathing'and 'you look so fine' are carefully written and deal with real issues which play on your mind after you've listened.It's ironic they chose the name garbage as they are clearly not and this album is a definate must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and addictive, 8 Aug 2001
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
I'd award this six stars if I could. I'm glad so many people are quoting the word 'addictive' in respect of this album because I've had it 2 years and practically every working day it's the first thing I put on Winamp - those first five tracks are the strongest I've heard in 20-odd years of buying music - pace, power and presence ! Perfect for throwing off early morning cobwebs. It's absurdly cheap at the price - you have no excuse not to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garbage gets better and better, 2 Nov 2003
This review is from: Version 2.0 (Audio CD)
This is Garbage at their best.
After the first album, this one shows a fantastic development and growth in the band's style. Old Garbage fans will agree that this album is great, and it should attract many new fans to an already huge Garbage fan base.
Introducing Version 2.0 is 'Temptation Awaits', which is a lively, catchy, typically Garbage tune. As with all the songs on this and other Garbage albums, the music is excellent, the guitar work is fantastic, and the lyrics resonate deeply with all.
The classics, 'I think I'm Paranoid', 'Special' and 'Push It', which all, incidentally, have really brilliant music videos, definitely push this album into the 'superb' category.
If you are new to Garbage, then it may take a few listenings before you get into the album, not because it is deficient in any way, but because there are so many depths, layers and nuances to their songs. There are so many sounds and rhythms to identify, everytime I listen to this album I find something new and exciting.
Garbage always seem to end their albums on a slightly more mellow note After the attitude, in-your-face-ness of the whole album, the final song is poignant, touching and almost painful in it's beauty. 'You Look So Fine' defies description, as with the entire album. It has to be heard to be believed.
Buy this album. You'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow-up to their fab debut (4.5 stars), 12 April 2005
L. Omelasz "brekkie_tiffs" (Dundee, UK) - See all my reviews
This follow up to their stunning 1995 debut fails to disappoint (well except for...hold on i'll get back to you on this). Without stating the obvious as to how great the singles released from this album are, I'll compliment an album track which will be The Trick is to Keep Breathing. This is song is the most breathtaking out of the lot and one of the album's best tracks. Another standout track is the luscious Sleep Together. I don't know what it is about this track that is so great. It's just Shirley Manson's fab vocals that make this one of the album's strongest moments (excluding the singles). Not forgetting album closer You Look So Fine which is this album's 'Milk' except less tortured. Now for the downpoints: Hammering in My Head is overall annoying and considering it was the most praised in several reviews, I found myself somewhat let down by it. While there's nothing really wrong with Dumb, compared to other tracks, it's a stinker. Although this album might not be as great as the last, it's still a pretty great album.
How many good tracks? Ten out of 12
Best track: Special
Worst track: Hammering in My Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Jun 2008
I came across Garbage about 4 years ago when i was 17. They are now one of my favourite bands.
This is a great album. I personally had to listen to it a few times before i got into it because their sound was so different. So if you don't find yourself instantly grabbed give it a chance :) 5 shiny stars!

Version 2.0
Version 2.0 by Garbage (Audio CD - 2005)