5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem of an album
I bought this album for two reasons
1. Strawberry letter 23 which I had heard on Groove Armadas Another late night collection (though it was the Shuggie Otis version)
2. Its so cheap
Published on 6 Jan 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not my cup of tea
Published 16 months ago by Andy Mooring

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem of an album, 6 Jan 2004
I bought this album for two reasons
2. Its so cheap
Thanks to this purchase I have been introduced to a genius duo who prodcued some really funky numbers. I now class some of the other tracks as some of my all time favourites - 'Land of ladies' being one of them.
If you are pondering buying this album and you like funky music - BUY IT!!
This is a true gem of an album

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky as hell!, 17 April 2010
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
I had never heard of the Brothers Johnson before so I thought buying their best of album would give me a good feel for the band. I have to say, I have really enjoyed listening to this album. There are some really good songs on here that I cant stop listening to.

Although classed as Soul and R&B, I Would say this album is 80's funk. This is because of the funky slap bass parts, the general groove of most of their songs, and the fusion of 80's synths.

I have also found some elements that make me think of Jamiroquai. Think their best song is 'Q', check it out on youtube to get a feel for the band.

Would give this album 5 stars. Got into it straight away which doesn't always happen, and still listen to this album after 2 months of buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of the brothers johnson review by john clarke, 29 Jun 2003
Mr. J. F. K. Clarke "john clarke" (lichfield uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
well with coca cola using the track strawberry letter 23 on their new advert,it brought my interest back to the music i listened to in the seventies and eighties.there are some great tracks on this album and with amazon s price being so good ,put on those tweed pegs & pull on check shirts ,get down with your bad self,oh and dont forget the loose perm and hair gel .brilliant album very talented band produced by quincy jones ( the man himself!).im thrilled to get a copy of this at such a great price. so light up the night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pimped-Up Funk!, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
I saw the price...I read the track listing...No, not possible!
I read the reviews...Can it be true? A REAL Best of The Brothers Johnson for this price?!
OK, thinks I, let's go ahead - It's gonna be worth it for "I'll Be Good to You" and "Strawberry Letter 23".
What I got was the whole damn pimped-up funky thang from those cool Afroed white-suited medallioned 1970s dudes.
Funk that just keeps comin' atcha! And atcha! And atcha!
Yeah, I'm more than satisfied with this CD. And for those of you who aren't familiar with this music, "I'll Be Good To You" is a thing of true beauty.
Buy it. You can't...you just can't go wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not my cup of tea, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
I am never too keen to give a less than perfect review on an album as I normally get some Troll that wants to give me a hard time about it. But, here goes anyway. In short I was really disappointed by this album. I was expecting to hear some great tracks never before heard by my ears and instead I got what is in my opinion a CD of fairly middle of the road Philly sounding tracks that didn't inspire me. Before all the fans jump on me I would like to add that I only bought the album for "Stomp" as my other copy had been played to destruction, so no disappointment there, but I was let down by no additional stand out, blow me away tracks. Sorry to the fans but The Brothers didn't surprise me with any unknown gems.

However, from the other reviews it appears that the real fans love this CD which proves we can't all like the same things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funk at it best!, 18 Mar 2008
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
Absolutely brilliant, this sort of music will never fade and die. Not only that I ordered it Sunday night and it was delivered on Tuesday morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Funky Album Now!, 15 Aug 2003
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
When I first heard track 19 on the Pulp Fiction album I knew I had to track down these bad boys and once I owned this album I was glad I did! A mixture of funky dance style tunes and chilled out vibes this album is a must for a rainy day or a journey anywhere. Singing along to the Brothers just makes you wish you were around in their day! I thoroughly recommend this album as a good introduction to Funk, and at £6.99 a must have addition to any CD collection! Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stomping All Over the World, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
Showcases the groups music from the 70's to the 80's, personally I prefer their earlier tunes, which shows their hard hitting funky rifts. The stand-out tracks being I'll be good for you, Get the funk out Ma face, Strawberry Letter 23, Right on time, Ain't we funky now and of course their biggest hit Stomp. Don't get me wrong the other tracks are good, but not quite at the same level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
This is Great stuff!! Nothing more to say about this.
This is Great stuff!! Nothing more to say about this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brothers Johnson, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: THE BEST OF... (Audio CD)
Very good Cd, better than i orignaly thought, one or two songs maybe, but no it was more than that...sounds better now than in the day !

THE BEST OF...
THE BEST OF... by Brothers Johnson (Audio CD - 1998)