4.0 out of 5 stars Vocal purity lost…
Have recently watched the film ‘Sense & Sensibility’, I just had to buy the soundtrack, as the music made complete, the magical experience of the film.
Published on 10 May 2003 by Clare A. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Soothing music
I do like this, but like some other reviewers would have liked to hear Kate Winslet on the 2 vocal tracks. I did buy this because I loved the film and I knew that the vocal tracks were not as in the film, but nevertheless use it a lot when driving as it is very soothing.
Published 11 months ago by bridgesilver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Vocal purity lost…, 10 May 2003
Clare A. Wilson "Circe" (Cheddington, Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, the ‘dramatic soprano’, Jane Eaglen is the one jarring note in this otherwise excellent CD. The two songs she performs are, (in the film), sung by a young girl, and I strongly feel that the purity of tone, so beautifully evident in the original should have been reproduced in this soundtrack. Unfortunately, the main reason I bought the cd, was for the instrumental track ‘My Father’s Favourite’ and the two vocal tracks, ‘Weep You No More Sad Fountains’ and ‘The Dreame’ …
I have just recently realised that Patrick Doyle has contributed so much to films I have enjoyed, and I would probably be inclined to purchase the soundtracks for these films. However, I feel that in buying soundtracks, care must be taken to ensure that expectations are met, particularly with regards to artist.
That aside, the remaining 19 tracks on this cd, being mostly pensive and romantic, with the odd, rather jolly one thrown in, are most evocative of the film and the period itself. In general, I believe that this soundtrack would make an excellent choice for either someone who has watched (and loved) the film, or even just for the eternal romantic!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Doyle's best, 4 Mar 2003
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
I haven't seen the film, so I'm passing comment on this purely as stand-alone music. It's wonderful. It's one of Doyle's most classical albums, and it is full of romance, sadness and joy. The opening song is similar in style to Mahler's orchestral songs. The gorgeous melody is re-used throughout in various guises, including a very beautiful piano-orchestra version that evokes Mozart's slow movements. Later in the album the music leans to a more chamber style, with key roles for flute, clarinet and harp. There are also some jaunty, almost folk-like pieces for orchestra. The album finishes with another song for soprano and orchestra. I have enjoyed this album immensely, and strongly recommend it. It is on the same scale as the Hamlet score, but is generally "prettier" and less "modern" in it's tonality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vocal Sublimity, 6 July 2005
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
I have been compelled to write this review as a reply to those who say that Jane Eaglen's voice does not sit right on this compact disc. Miss Eaglen's voice is the icing on what is already an absolutely delightful and well produced cake. Patrick Doyle's music is stunning and is made even more stunning by the slightly ethereal voice of Jane Eaglen. In her last song 'The Dreame' she represents and older, more mature Marianne. Those who do not see this are missing the point. A brilliant disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some light listening, 26 Oct 2004
K. Hurst "Kate Hurst" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
I bought this CD about eight years ago and I always seem to come back to listen to it time and time again. I love the score - it ties in so well with the film and every time I hear the tracks from when Marianne goes out in the rain to Willioughby's house it brings everything back to me.
I agree with the person who said Jane Eaglen doesn't sound right on this. She's good but - after you've heard Marianne sing the songs in the film - it really does sound wrong, maybe because it seems so operatic when the rest of the soundtrack is so much lighter. Other than this, it's a great CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just delicious, 24 Sep 2007
K. E. Thurlow-Bishop (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
I know I am just echoing previous reviews, but this is a delicious soundtrack. Patrick Doyle is such a gifted and sensitive composer, adding depth and richness to films without detracting from the visual drama. Like other people, I found Jane Eaglen's version beautiful, but ultimately too rich for the musical genre. Such a pity that Kate Winslett's pure rendition was not captured for this recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity about Jane Eaglen...., 30 May 2001
K. L. Holt "Karenlee" (Utrecht Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
Patrick Doyle is a superb modern composer who perfectly captured the feeling of Regency England in his work for the S&S Soundtrack. The wonderful music added extra magic to what was already a beautiful film, and it's all on this CD - wonderfully touching and soothing without crossing the line into 'over-sweetness'. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the choice of Jane Eaglin as vocalist for the two tracks that Marianne sings in the film. Her dramatic soprano is very ill-suited to these lightly melodic, slightly melancholy tunes. At first hearing I was truly aghast - the effect is horrible. Thankfully, the melody of these two tunes is reprised elsewhere on the CD (without Eaglen). If you miss her out, it's a fantastic listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic soundtrack, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
I LOVE this soundtrack. Perfect for revision/ work music when you don't want to be distracted.
My Father's Favourite is such a beautiful piece. So impressed with Patrick Doyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vocal Sublimity, 6 July 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
very good condition

5.0 out of 5 stars CD-, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. (Audio CD)
I THOUGHT THIS WAS GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY, THE QUALITY WAS GREAT TOO. AND THE SERVICE WAS BRILLIANT THANK YOU.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T.
Sense & Sensibility / O.S.T. by Patrick Doyle (Audio CD - 2010)