on 8 January 2004
Mention to me a couple of years ago about acoustic solo guitar, and I would have passed it off without a listen. Nowaday's I cannot get enough of Gordon's work.
Having been fortunate enough to meet and know the man himself, my appreciation for music on a whole has widened. I first heard Gordon perform live 2 years ago and was instantly hooked on works such as "Rainbow Kites, Down the River, and The Picnic". On the strenghts of live performances alone, I felt obliged to purchase his albums without sampling them first.
Troubadour really is a must own for any discerning music fan as this album explores so many different avenues of taste. "Rainbow Kites" is a happy-go-lucky performance which has you listening to every note played where as "Down the River" is a relaxing, romantic composition which will have you listening too over-and-over again. Each song has it's own unique voice and identity due to Gordon's musical ability. Each composition there is Gordon's trademark sound. On a few songs, Gordon likes to use a delay which may sound repetative to some, but I feel that because each song is played in a different style, the listener may not notice.
All-in-all, if you like relaxing acoustic guitar music, please purchase Troubadour as you will not be disappointed, this is album is always in my CD player.
on 30 June 2013
Gordon Giltrap is a truly masterful guitarist and this may be his best album with some truly magnificent tracks. There are so many stand-out tunes that it is difficult to name highlights, but there are some real classics: On Camber Sands, Isabella's Wedding, The Lords Seat, The Picnic, Daisy Chain, Nursery Chimes and Dublin Day. The bonus CD includes solo acoustic versions of all the songs, which showcases Gordon Giltrap's talent at its best.
A good piece of old style guitar music
Unfortunately this copy as lost in the post but after dealing with this supplier I have been promised a full replacement.
I am very satisfied with their service
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2015
Excellent Cd from Gordon giltrap
on 16 November 2007
Although I have enjoyed a lot of Giltrap's pieces on sampler folk Lp's etc this was my first buy of a cd of his, unfortunately I found it a complete bore, this sort of music would be fine in the background in a nice lounge or bar. As a guitarist myself I have come across Giltrap's lessons and examples of his playing in guitar mags, I know he is a great guitarist - but this is not a good example of his skill, IMO.