5.0 out of 5 stars Beggars belief - a great collection
Published on 5 Dec 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate White Suits.
The old hits like Sugar Baby love,We can do it and Jukebox jive,all brought back memories of my teenage year and I really enjoyed the first 10 tracks.
Published 4 months ago by paul mcdonough

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beggars belief - a great collection, 5 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
I initially bought this mid price CD for a blast of nostalgia; Juke Box Drive, Little Darling and the wonderful Baby I Know. What I was not expecting were some truly outstanding self-penned songs. Apart from Baby I Know, there's Kid Runaway and the magnificent Beggarman. The CD is worth buying for Beggarman alone. The Rubettes are from an era of harmonies, musicianship and great arrangements. This is a good pop CD with some solid gold nuggets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Session musicians, 14 April 2011
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
The fact is the Rubettes singles were made by session musicians.
That's because the group who became the Rubettes really WERE in their previous life.
It started when they backed a singer called Paul da Vinci who was on the Penny Fathing label-he's the one with the high voice and is on the first 2 Rubettes singles.
When the single began to move a group called the Rubettes had to be assembled and he didn't want to be involved as he had a 9 to 5 job as a session singer.
The ones chosen to be the Rubettes came from a pool of session men and its why the Rubettes were superior to any of these other so called Glam Rockers.
Though they were lumped in with this 70s craze the Rubettes were a throwback to the 50s and after the run of hits had ended they became big stars on the Continent cutting records which have never been available in the U K.
With no profile in the States to speak of their My Buddy Holly Days has ended up on many Holly associated comps
Though Under One Roof may have been ahead of its time I rate Fo Dee O Dee their finest hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.., 17 May 2012
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
Only purchased this for a couple of the tracks, but was pleasantly suprised to find that I enjoyed just about all of them,
Unlike multiple recordings, they don't sound all the same. Very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars "BABY I KNOW", 10 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
This is fantastic!..the great Rubettes,..this is a must have CD for your collection,..whether you are like me and you can remember the Rubettes (just!..i'm not that old yet..lol)..or you've never heard of them before,.i urge you to buy this,.and just relax with 70s unsung heroes,..never got the great recognition they deserved,..just wish i had some white flares to wear out tonight(hmm maybe not..lol),..this is top 70s music,..at bargain basement prices,..don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best of The Rubettes, 24 April 2013
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
their music is a pleasure to listern if at home or driving the harmony ext,is fantastic its another to find a very special place in my collection i really do recomend to all who like good music

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing out loud!!, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
This cd is great. I do alot of driving so I do alot of singing as well!! So many memories and a good choice

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 30 Mar 2012
R. C. Barber (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
This brings back memories of the 70's, "surfing sounds" from a British group. I purchased this because i love the songs "tonight" and "sugar baby love".
This is a superb album plus the usual 'hypa-speed' delivery from Amazon, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the hits and more., 13 Sep 2010
I'm a huge fan of 70s pop music and The Rubettes have always been one of my favourites. Seen as just a pop group, they were very talented. Excellent musicians with top quality song writing.

This CD contains all of their hits, as well as some that didn't quite make it. Obviously there's the classic (and possibly best pop tune ever) Sugar Baby Love, Juke Box Jive, Baby I Know, I Can Do It, Don't Do It Baby, etc, etc. It also includes the superb Under One Roof. This has been a favourite of mine since it was released. It was unusual at the time being not only sung by the drummer but also about homophobia. The only song that stands out as a bit duff is Ooh La La. Clearly sung tongue in cheek but still a bit 'naff'. This is a quality CD and well worth the money. If you love the 70s then this is a 'must buy' album. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of step, 17 Mar 2010
Mrs. M. Walsh "Maw." (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
I was looking at this cd on the "Rubettes" page and noticed that the majority of the reviewers had given this item great reviews, and one reviewer had rated it a two star item, a Marie Brice, Aka "riacatacus" I was intrigued by the difference of opinion and how one reviewer was out of step with the majority view, I went back and had a look at the track listing on this cd, and I was amazed at the tracks on offer, on this cd. "riacatacus" states it has very few hit songs, I would be interested to hear which hits are not on this cd. In my humble opinion, this is a great release, and for a mid price cd is a terrific purchase, it has all the hit songs that I was aware of, "Sugar baby love" "Tonight" "Under one roof" "Jukebox Jive" And "Baby I know" plus a few other little gems. I already have a decent "Rubettes" collection on record and cassette, but I will be buying this cd as soon as I can, for not only is it a great little release, but at a very reasonable price to boot. Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".A budget

5.0 out of 5 stars RUBETTES-YEAH, THEY CAN DO IT!, 18 Sep 2009
John P. Pripusich "Jack P." (Glen Ellyn, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of The Rubettes (Audio CD)
Don't let the low price fool you! This is a perfect party cd! It's SUGAR BABY LOVE, BABY! Chock full of great harmony and A+ production! Get this CD and crank it up to 11! Ten times worth the price!...the genuine article, fun, and GREAT!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Very Best of The Rubettes
The Very Best of The Rubettes by The Rubettes (Audio CD - 1998)