5.0 out of 5 stars "It brings a tear.." even 30 years later
Published on 20 Feb. 2007 by Mark Shackelford

2.0 out of 5 stars Of its time, sometimes quite painfully so.
Published on 27 Sept. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars "It brings a tear.." even 30 years later, 20 Feb. 2007
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My friend Edward introduced me to this album back in the days when small boys (i.e. us) still wore strange shirts with separate collars. We were (I suppose, but didn't know it then) fans of "prog" music - but this defies categorisation. It was certainly a Rock band. It had drums and guitars and stuff. But also a flute. And a saxophone. And a clarinet!!! And this guy with a REALLY odd voice. Sounding like he was singing whilst grating his vocal chords with sand paper.

But delightful. And listening to it again, 30 years later "It brings a tear". The tracks are a wonderful mixture of heavy rock, pastoral delicacy and the odd bit of whimsy.

"Nothing You Do", "Raid", "Right on their Side" and "Priestess" zoom, crash, rattle and bang along, thrashing guitar, whirling sax and Mr. Werth's hacking cough (? or was it singing? still not sure...)

"Belladonna Moonshine" is just fun - and "It brings a Tear" still does.

But then the brilliant "Ebony Variations", which probably had Stravinsky tapping along... and then, the beautiful, weird and wonderful "Friends, Friends, Friend" with the glorious lyric.

Oh, yes, and the album cover. Looked great! In all sorts of light.

5.0 out of 5 stars luv it, 16 Dec. 2012
Samuel Pyke (Barcelona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends, Friends, Friend (Audio CD)
Audience were something else! Unique, although often referred to in context with early prog rock like yes or genesis. I tend to group them along with the British rock group Family, since both bands were original, very talented, and strangely underestimated or unknown to the rock-listening masses.
This album, correctly named "Friend's friend's friend" came out in 1970 and is perhaps their best, ranking alongside House on the Hill. Their first album -eponymous- is well worth buying too, if you can find it. Howard Werth and his collaborators were capable of writing and delivering well-composed, stirring, harmonious songs that really rocked, and played and sung with a high degree of professionality. The woodwind -including saxaphone and oboe- is great. The sound finally produced is special and very personal -unmistakeably Audience! The lyrics take us into their own strangely enchanted world. Thoroughly recommendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old Friend's Friend's Friend, 15 Nov. 2014
Hard to say whether it's nostalgia - I mean I was a big fan; after I had seen Audience supporting and very nearly upstaging Jon Hiseman's Coliseum at Barking Tech I used to follow them everywhere. A band that featured a nylon-strung guitar in the days of screaming Strats and Les Pauls... I was sixteen... Aah...
Anyway I bought all the albums and in the intervening years lost them (divorce, and another divorce, as well as other ups and downs), retaining only a flimsy memory of all of the songs, including the ones on this album.
So is it nostalgia that makes me like this album? Well, there is no doubt I am nostalgic, but nostalgia can be deceitful, and sometimes all those songs you thought you loved turn out to be a pile of cack when you hear them again. Not in this case however. These are great songs, well performed and recorded, and while they do stir a few wistful memories they are also good to listen to on their own merits. Definitely some prog rock here, but I always liked prog rock. It has, uh, cojones (don't think Amazon would let me use the other word). Listening to the songs now I have a different pair of ears and I hear new things, or hear in a different way. Or something. Anyway I still love this album and as well as that I like it.
Actually I am not a good judge. I find it hard to judge old friends. My guess is you will buy this album for the same reasons as I bought it, partly to try and roll back 46 or so years and partly because you recall it as being a great album. But if you are a new listener and you think you like musicianly bands who sound a bit different from the norm then buy this. Being an old so and so I can't tell if it's dated or not, but it's good music and that is timeless. Isn't it?

2.0 out of 5 stars Of its time, sometimes quite painfully so., 27 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
I approached rediscovering "Friends, friends friend" with eager anticipation, it once having been my alltime favorite album for nearly a year and not having listened to it for nearly twenty years. The first track, "Nothing You Do" still held its freshness and will always hold its place as one of the world's great hate songs. (Too many love songs if you ask me.)Then into "Jeremiah's Home Brewed Moonshine", hmm.. a touch twee, and then... Oh dear. A great shame, but it has not worn well. The first impression is that the band haven't yet made up their mind to become Black Sabbath or Caravan. Bouncing between sub-Tolkien hard rock involving drearily predictable vikings and sorceresses, and some nifty jazz-rock melodies, the album is stylistically incoherent and fragmented. However, it belongs to an era when neither style was cliched, and experiment was encouraged. It is, after all very much of its time, and when taken in that light, it can still be enjoyed. Sadly, the bonus (mono) track adds nothing. Never mind, the title track contains one of popular musics greatest lyrics..."I had a friend, who had a friend who knew a man, who didn't look unlike Tolouse Lautrec..." Eat your hearts out, Gallagher brothers.

5.0 out of 5 stars drummer with strong hands, 9 Sept. 2011
Saw this band supporting many prog bands in the early 70s in Newcastle (City Hall and Mayfair). My favourite tune was Jackdaw and their amazing guitarist and vocalist Howard Werth created a captivating performance with his very powerful classical guitar playing.

However, the thing I remember most was the drummer, who used to do a drum solo (as all other bands used to do at the time). Other band members left the stage and Tony Connor pummelled and biffed. He then dropped his sticks and played on with his bare hands. I've never seen any other percussion player do this stunt. Needless to say he got a very big clap. Tony's solos were never boring. Tony later joined Hot Chocolate in 1974 and did big top ten things with Errol Brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raided by Audience!, 1 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Friends, Friends, Friend (Audio CD)
I had the vinyl of this and lost it somewhere on my way through life. It is great to have it again and enjoy the unique blend of the vocals with the instrumentation of reeds and acoustic guitar plus rock rhythm group! And though the range of styles and topics from "Belladonna Moonshine" to "Raid" nmay be a bit eclectic it is nevertheless an enteraining and meaningful contribution to good musical entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars its an excellent album I never get tied of audience and I ..., 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Friends, Friends, Friend (Audio CD)
I'm replacing this as I sold the original vinyl copy recently, its an excellent album I never get tied of audience and I find this album equal to house on the hill. A great band this is what made the prog rock scene, not the the Yeses or ELP's always ignored when programme's like on BBC4 always mention the same old tied bands never the constant gigging one's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Acoustic Rock, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Friends, Friends, Friend (Audio CD)
Love this album. Still have the original vinyl. Great vocals. See also House on the Hill. Think we all need some Belladonna Moonshine occaisionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most original bands of all time!!!, 1 Oct. 2012
Ivan rubinic (Island Hvar,Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friends, Friends, Friend (Audio CD)
Glazba grupe Audience je neponovljiva u svakom obliku!Jedinstvena,orginalna i nadasve vrlo emotivna!Grupa koja je spojila rok,soul,jazz,pomalo latino i progresiju u komercijalnost.Ovaj kao i sva 4 org.albuma zasluzuju najvecu ocjenu!Nasiroko su poznati po tome sto se niti jedna skladba na svim albumima ne ponavlja u niti najmanjoj sekvenci-dakle potpuno orginalno autorstvo i interpretacija!Kad ih cujete ne mozete ih zaobici jer vam danima u glavi i dusi svira njihova glazba!HVALA BENDU ZA SVE STO SU DALI!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 70s rock, 18 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Friends, Friends, Friend (Audio CD)
Took a chance after reading the reviews and am pleasantly pleased. I will now purchase other albums by this band.

Friends, Friends, Friend
Friends, Friends, Friend by Audience (Audio CD - 1992)