5.0 out of 5 stars Well...
Published on 18 May 2004 by over_dramatic_1

1.0 out of 5 stars Huh.
This recording is far too polished (much like the film soundtrack) to be any good. It's lacking in that 'garage-y', amateurish feel of the original broadway cast (which I personally feel is the only one worth recommending).
Published on 28 Dec 2006 by S. Avery

5.0 out of 5 stars Well..., 18 May 2004
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
I brought the 'Grease Soundtrack' about 2 months ago, and I have listened to it countless times now! I originally brought it because I am currently rehearsing for my school production of it and needed to learn some songs for a few reasons. I had also seen the stage version in March, and thought it was amazing, and thought it was well worth the money! I would recommend this product to ANYONE because it really captures the magic and rock 'n' roll that is formally known as Grease!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grease - The way it should be., 17 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
I bought this CD as a tape back in 1994 while I was visiting London. It is the cast recording for the performance of Grease that was running on the West End. When I saw it there, the play made so much more sense than the movie. The songs fit perfectly. It is a definate must have for musical lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like The Original Grease Soundtrack....Only Better!, 16 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
I usually steer well clear of those soundtrack CDs with the words on the sleeve: "Original Stage Recording". Most of the performers sound too theatrical for my liking, so I usually opt for the movie soundtrack. This "Grease" album was different though.
For those of you who've just seen the movie version -- and LOVED it -- let me assure you the stage musical is far superior than the John Travolta/Olivia Newton-John effort. And this soundtrack knocks the pants off the movie's version!
When the (London's) West End version of the "Grease" musical hit the stage in the early 90s, instead of using those (IMHO) 'dreaded stage performers', the producers decided to enlist the services of tv actor cum singer Craig McLachlan and former teen pop idol Debbie Gibson to play the lead roles. And it's their contribution to the soundtrack that make it so enjoyable.
A few of the tracks from the movie don't appear on this CD, which is only natural I guess since it's not exactly the same production. Still, all the BIG hits from "Grease" are present, and with 1990s technology, sound far better than the originals.
Highlights include the cast recording of the song "Grease (Is The Word)" -- you'll need to purchase the CD single to hear Craig's brilliant version though -- "You're The One That I Want" (which is slightly different from the Travolta/Newton-John recording), the 'rock' version of "Greased Lightning" with it's fantastic guitar solo, Debbie's beautiful vocals on "Hopelessly Devoted To You" and Craig's equally beautiful ballad "Sandy".
Alas, there a couple of naff tracks too unfortunately. "We Go Together" is terrible as is the closing number "Grease Medley" (not to be confused with the "Grease Megamix" found on Craig McLachlan's "Grease" CD single). Overall though, this is a soundtrack CD you won't tire of playing.
If you liked "Grease", you really need to see the stage musical version too. If you can't, this CD is the next best thing.
Jon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Really Nice Memento of the Stage Show, 28 May 2010
L. M. Horne (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD after seeing the stage show in March, the same CD was rediculously priced in London so this is a truly value for money momento.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like Grease, 4 Mar 2010
L. MEADER - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
I liked the sound track of Grease. Going to see it in may and taking my 8 year old son. I bought it for him to get familerised with the songs and now it's non stop grease is the word

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be seen to be believed!, 2 Jun 2007
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
OK... seen to be believed? Is this girl on drugs, does she not know she's talking about a CD? I can assure you, I do. I have been a huge, huge fan of the Grease movie since I was 4 (possibly even 3) years old (I'm now 18!) and I know that will sound strange, because there's very little a three year old could have understood of the story. But it's the music of Grease that charms the audiences!

As soon as I actually sat through the credits of the film and realised Grease was in fact primarily a Broadway show (yes, I *really* didn't know) it became a dream to see it on stage. My mum made this come true of the 2nd July 2001, when I was 12. It was the best night of my life. I recommend this musical to anyone! I would recommend this recording to anyone also, BUT only after they've *seen* Grease on stage.

I own the movie soundtrack also and considered this superior until I went to see Grease the second time in October 2005, aged 16. I no longer made comparisons to the film, instead thinking back to the show I had seen 4 years previously. The music blew me away and I knew I had to have this OCR. Unwilling to pay 16 for it on the night, I went home and bought it online for little more than a fiver, and boy am I glad I did.

It really captures the energy of the show I have come to love more than the film, (and saw on stage a third time in September 2006, another great night with a friend who says she'll accompany me every time I return!) and I can't listen without singing along with a grin on my face remembering all my favourite scenes. So yes, I recommend it, it is the original and the best! (I'm almost sorry that I didn't get to see this cast, but hey, I was 4, what's a girl to do besides sit at home watching the movie 10 times a day? I've sinced stopped this, I haven't seen the film since New Year's Day!)

So go out and get this, and love it on its own merit. It isn't a movie soundtrack, it's a show - a show you MUST see before this effort can be appreciated for the gloriousness it holds!

Grease is the word!

5.0 out of 5 stars ..If you have seen the Theatre Production..Grab this!, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
Love the Theatre Production, excellent CD and great to listen to if you are feeling low. I want to see the Theatre Production again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars :), 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
I am very happy with this item, i have purchased.:) it arrived quickly and efficiently, and it is a great soundtrack. I can't stop dancing and singing along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grease CD of Stage Show, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
This product arrived in perfect condition and worked with no problems. The show CD is slightly different to the film version in that some of the songs are different and the arrangement of others differ from the film. I enjoyed it very much.
C

5.0 out of 5 stars Grease lives!, 29 July 2009
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grease: Original London Cast Recording (Audio CD)
This is a vibrant version of the Grease score and the Class of '93 rocks. Do not accept any other versions as the recordings here are really the best. Craig McLachlan the former soap star was perfectly cast as Danny and Debbie Gibson gave her best performance to date as Sandy. The vocal chemistry between these two performers works just listen to "You're the One that I Want".
Listen out too for 2 stars who you've seen and heard alot about since then, Shane Richie (Minder) and Ben Richards (The Bill). The orchestra here is huge and sells the score 100%. Superb.

Grease: Original London Cast Recording
Grease: Original London Cast Recording by Grease (Related Recordings) (Audio CD - 1993)