Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 December 2006
For the benefit of the unitiated, John Fahey recorded most of this either in the field or on his immediate return to civilisation in 1959-60!

Most of it was based on tunes he'd heard in his youth and the same sort of music he heard in America's deep South. Some traditional tunes are here, though the majority is his own work.

Steel, acoustic and 12-string guitars join banjo in the instruments John Fahey uses here. Everything sounds the same-and that's a good thing for once.

Why? Simply because everything sounds as good as the rest of it. Top quality playing throughout and an amazing variety of land, sound and folk scapes are drifted past you.

I first chanced on it with that green Transatlantic LP cover in 1968. It's never left my personal top 20 all-time best albums & doubtless never will.

It's time you either renewed acquaitance with an old friend, or find out just how good this is. Believe me, it's indispenable!
on 20 December 2008
this LP has been with me since the late 60s,and its beautful, pastoral blend of trad/folk/blues even almost classical at times is never anything less than magnificent.i think its the best john fahey LP and i love most all of them.it was background music at my wedding and when i finally turn up my toes,i want it played at my funeral.sometimes i think its my favourite album of all time,and believe me thats some claim from a music obsessive like me.
on 17 March 2001
I've been listening to this since I was 6 years old. And it's easy to learn! I have a copy of a vinyl recording which is close to crumbling away so I am chuffed to be able to hear it clearly! This is so relaxing and rates as one of my favourite albums.
on 17 February 2014
I first bought this record in the 60s and it is as fresh, imaginative and evocative as it was then. I consider it to be John Fahey's personal masterpiece. Oh, if only I could play like this
on 19 June 2015
I bought this album from my memories of listening to it over 40 yrs ago. Some of the early tracks are not so good but others are just unique
on 7 February 2016
Most of his early records are faultless.
on 19 December 2014
This disc came in my mouth bro
on 20 December 2013
There was nothing to dislike about this order.
The delivery was prompt and the packaging appropriate.
The item appears to be in good order.
The CD was bought as a gift and hence has not been played - therefore blind to the eventual outcome of the "proof of the pudding…"
on 10 July 2014
this is a fantastic album