4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated album from Yes
To be frank I'm sick to death of arguments on what is required for a Yes album to be considered any good.

If you only listen to 70s Yes, thats great.

Personally I listen to some 70s Yes but prefer the later material from Drama onwards.

Published on 2 Jan 2007 by A Horror Fan

1.0 out of 5 stars NO!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
Published 22 months ago by TQ2Boyz

1.0 out of 5 stars NO!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
My favourite band of all time, and they release this awful piece of Americana which is wetter than a haddock's underwear and more unfocused than the New York Home for the Blind. I hate that Jon is even involved in what sounds like a record company's wet dream: "We can make you BIG in AMERICA! Just do as we say!" This isn't music, it's muzak for a bar that shows ESPN on big screens. It is ambient only in that it is just totally UNLISTENABLE! Even Chris (as a band leader he is marginally more violent than a Tasmanian Devil mated with a power station turbine) dropped a wotsit by allowing this to be released. If you want Yes music then buy "Going for The One", or "Topographic Oceans", "Relayer", "Close to the Edge". If you want YesWest then maybe "Talk" or (ggnnnrrrrr) "90120", but this (**sigh**) is just such a black hole in the Yes canon that nothing can redeem it. And I am so sorry for being so negative, OK???

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak and limp., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I can completely contest to the variety of reviews sporting this album as a complete washout, but I don't feel upon deconstruction that it's all quite as simple as that. This is however, probably one of the worst CD's from yes in terms of overall quality alongside "Tormato " and "Union", as the songwriting is unpredictable and haywire. In my opinion the only really good/compelling song on this album is 'Man on the moon' and that is worthy of the extra star.

The bulk of this album is mostly filled with disjointed wanna-be (appeal to everyone) rock songs. 'New state of mind' is a total disaster and the title track is a wet blanket:- the rest are skimmed b-rate pop songs derived from uninspiration. There does seem to be a safe playing formula to most of these songs as well, and it does seem to point towards corporate interfearence for the band. Wether or not that is true:- is on the face of it; irrelevant. Open your eyes is ultimately a forgettable and tortuous excursion of a band on a formulaic and obvious flight of cruise control.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that good - but it gains with time!, 5 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
After the two amazing »Keys To Ascension« double CD's, it was really an anticlimax to put »Open Your Eyes« into the CD player.
But honestly, this album gains a lot once you've listened to it about ten times. Just don't take it for more than it is. It's just Yes from the band's more simplistic and semi-commercial side. A rock album.
One of the best tracks on »Open Your Eyes« is the ballad »From The Balcony« which touches the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe album's style. Another good ballad is the halfway symphonic »Universal Garden« which is close to Yes'ish.
The catchy title song and the opener are quite good rock songs - they're just more simple than we Yes fans are used to from the band.
»Open Your Eyes« closes off with a kind of sound collage. Different. But pretty good, in fact, once you get used to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated album from Yes, 2 Jan 2007
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)

If you only listen to 70s Yes, thats great.

Most Yes fans would totally disagree with me but I've always found some aspects of their earlier non-commercial prog material to be rather hard going without taking anything away from the superb musicianship and vocals.

However, I would never criticise anyone for preferring this earlier material.

Basically, fans (like myself) who like later-period, upbeat, overproduced ?, commercial Yes with Trevor Rabin or otherwise also recognise great music.

Simple as that.

Oh, and Open Your Eyes does'nt sound as if it has been thrown together quickly or haphazardly.

The writing, muscianship, vocals and production are, as always, superb.

A great album, not perfect, what is ?. Similar to 90125 & Big Generator, many later period Yes fans could be missing out if they overlook it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Yes, 20 July 2004
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
Not really a Yes album, both Jon Anderson & Steve Howe have washed their hands of it as being too rushed and that they didn't get a chance to put enough input into it.
The record company wanted them out on the road with some product to sell so Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood had material ready for another Conspiracy album. This material was shoehorned into the Yes format and put out as this album.
It's not that bad - it's just not really Yes-like enough

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not a 'classic' Yes album, 18 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I must confess to being slightly disappointed with this album, which followed the 2 excellent 'Keys to Ascension' (vols 1 + 2) double albums, which included a wealth of excitibng new studio material (subsequently re-released on 1 CD as "KeyStudio"), as well as the welcome return of Rick Wakeman. Not only is Rick not featured on "Open your eyes", but the songs are somewhat MOR, & there is a somewhat tortuous instrumental / reprise at the end. I'm pleased to have another album by Yes, but this is not one I would recommend to anyone unfamiliar with thire work, & is probably their least inspiring offering to date. (I would add that the band subsequently compensated for it with the excellent "The Ladder" & the brilliant "Magnification", & can't wait for their next album, now Rick is back on board).

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Yes, Get Used to It, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I hardly want to write a review of any Yes album. Yes fans are a funny bunch, who tie themselves to eras and compare everything to their favorite. So fans of their 70's works hate 90125 and onward for the most part - they're hoping one day Yes will churn out another Close to the Edge. Fans of the era after 90125 wonder what all the fuss is about with their early stuff. And then - bizarrely - you get only positive things about The Ladder (which I'll comment on in the proper place later) despite some serious flaws in that one. It's a minefield commenting on Yes. Especially as I happen to be one of those who sit somewhere in the middle - I like it all.

But to this album. Some (most?) say it's their worse. I don't know about that. It's certainly one of their rock efforts. It has some flaws, and you don't need to be a Yes expert to figure them out. The production is dense. Yes music likes to breath, but there's no space here that isn't full of some sound or other - usually a crashing drum or guitar. Some of the lyrics are toe-curlingly awful (There you were...Like a dream to me...WONDERLOVE...Could this really be...WONDERLOVE). Then we have the utterly pointless time filler on the end - The Solution which is more than ten minutes of birds tweeting punctuated by the odd bit of acapella vocal with plenty of reverb. It's a real torment.

But looking beyond all that, there are good songs too. The opening couple of tracks and great - they're born from the Rabin version of Yes for sure, but none the worse for that. In fact, much of this album sounds okay as long as you don't over-analyze it. So it's not great, but it's not totally awful either. And I'm not buying into the argument that Howe and Anderson were simply grafted on - do they not have a say in anything? Did they lose their voice or backbone or what? Every time a Yes album is criticized they seem to have a ready excuse of why they didn't act - take it on the chin chaps!

The final thing I'll note is the packaging. Talk about lazy. Look at that cover. Black with the Yes logo. Ouch. It's a long was from Roger Dean ain't it! The b9ooklet includes the full lyrics, but no pictures at all. I'm not sure what they're trying to tell me here, other than they couldn't be bothered with packaging this one.

Having said that - after four or five listens it DOES begin to make sense. Whether Yes fans will be bothered to do that I don't know. But given their apparent love of The Ladder, I don't know what to expect any more. --lol-- Either way, Open Your Eyes certainly isn't vintage Yes, but it's not complete rubbish either. It's cruising. It fills in an hour or so. I can think of worse ways to spend my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing change of sound., 4 July 2014
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I was just thinking today how much I'd like to listen to this over again over the weekend - haven't heard it for a while, but for my three pence worth I feel it was a refreshing change. Stunning opening track with New State of Mind and the rest are just as good. Lovely arrangements in all departments and just exceptionally good music and I am going to listen to it all this week :-).

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst Yes album by far., 5 Aug 2010
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
In fact, I would say this is one of the worst albums ever released by a major band. I have been an avid yes fan since the early 70s, and a progressive-rock fan too, and there are only two albums (that I can recall) that I haven't been able to listen from the beginning to the end in one shot: one is "...and Then There Were Three" from Genesis, and the other is this one.

I totally agree with some previous reviews in that all the songs sound almost the same: there are no interest, emotion or surprises here. The sound is mudded and dull, and the albunm as a whole is boring at the very least, and simply bad in the end.

This is not a good introduction to yes music, and is not a good sample of the work of the band either. Better let it alone and spend your money in the "Keystudio" album, which is the last real gem from this once-great band.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO, NOT YES, 2 April 2010
Andy (UK Wickwar) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I just remembered why this Album was not in my collection. I actually bought it on it's original release. I remember that it was so bad i took it back to the shop and got my money back. This album has no imagination, the songs sound almost the same and i got nothing from it. There are some many great Yes albums, many of which were realeased around this time but i would not recommened this to anyone.

Open Your Eyes
Open Your Eyes by Yes (Audio CD - 2008)