5.0 out of 5 stars Best single-CD Dolly compilation in the world - so far, 8 Dec 2002
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
It is not possible to fit all Dolly's important songs on two CD's, never mind one, but this is the best single-CD collection I've yet seen. Originally a full-price TV advertised album, it was later re-issued at mid-price but is now out of print.

Thirty years of Dolly music are represented here, from 1967's Dumb blonde (although as Dolly herself once quipped - she ain't dumb and she ain't blonde) to 1997's Just when I needed you most.

In between are many Dolly classics - Jolene, I will always love you (two versions), Here you come again, 9 to 5, Islands in the stream and My Tennessee mountain home among them. I've never been keen on Heartbreaker and would have preferred the brilliant Baby I'm burning from that album. Other notable omissions include Bargain store, The seeker, Two doors down and Old flames - but like I said, you can't put everything on a single CD.

As compensation, this does include Applejack (one of my favorite Dolly tracks, which does not appear on these compilations as often as I think it deserves), a duet with Porter Wagoner (a great version of Last thing on my mind), her version of In the ghetto and a little-heard duet with Willie Nelson (actually a sixties Dolly recording with Willie's voice added a few years later).

You also get some of her best Sony/Columbia recordings, including Yellow roses and Eagle when she flies, though missing out Romeo.

4.0 out of 5 stars An exellent collection with some surprising inclusions, 7 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
I am not what might be called a Dolly P fan. I have liked a few records over the years, Jolene and Islands in the stream among them. I bought this as a present for someone special and it is now on my play list as well. As usual there are one or two tracks that are not so good, but there are none I would not listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Dolly!!!, 31 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
I have just re-purchased this after my last copy wore out! The best of Dolly all on one CD! A bargain!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolly Parton cd, 10 May 2013
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
This was a great item and was a gift and they loved it. A gift for a Dolly fan and has been well played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great singer...great CD!, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
CD arrived well packed and in good condition...plays brilliantly. If you love Dolly Parton you will love this...would recommend,. Thanks so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpectedly good, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
I have never been a Dolly fan really and bought this on a whim. It came as a surprise how much I liked it. Her voice is sweet and lyrical, the songs are good and I have found myself going back to the CD time after time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive Dolly Parton, 21 Oct 2009
P. A. Copley (Northumberland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
I've always enjoyed Dolly Parton's songs and singing, but never bought an L.P., single or CD until this one and I am not disappointed. It contains a full range of songs from her early recordings to more recent all delivered with punchy tunes and meaningful lyrics. It certainly has revived a well used, eclectic but tired CD collection, enlivened long car journeys and put fresh energy into my wife's visits to the gym. And, where else would you get 25 tracks for your money? Delivered with Amazon's usual efficiency. After several weeks of listening to Dolly, I want to add one word to my review - UPLIFTING!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and even has 2 versions of I will always love you, a good complilation album, 9 July 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
It showcases Dolly's work over her whole career and even has 2 versions of I will always love you, a good complilation album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best C.D i ever bought, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
i play it all the time the sound quality is spot on. Value for money. the c.d was in very good condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dolly in her prime, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music (Audio CD)
The best Dolly album I've heard. Even so still a few duets that I don't enjoy but all her best stuff - and really good recordings. Far better than the 2 Greatest Hits albums. This is my wake up on long car journeys as I can sing along to them all ( preferably when no one else is in car!)

The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music
The Ultimate Collection: A Life In Music by Dolly Parton (Audio CD - 1997)