5.0 out of 5 stars Old-time love songs for the modern generation
Diana has a lovely voice, well suited to these romantic songs, but she is also a brilliant pianist, although this latter skill is more obvious on the very different, upbeat King Cole Trio tribute album. This album creates it's own mood - if you aren't in the mood for love when you start playing it, you surely will by the end.
The songs are mostly from the thirties...
Published on 17 Nov. 2002 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars All or nothing at all
A bit boring this album Diana. Has American Songbook songs. The arrangements are not good. It's too jazz to my ears. The original melody of the song is changed. But it's all a matter of taste.

Published 21 months ago by Eric Mascarin Perigault

5.0 out of 5 stars Old-time love songs for the modern generation, 17 Nov. 2002
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
The songs are mostly from the thirties and forties (a characteristic of all Diana's albums to date), beginning with All or nothing at all, an American number one for Frank Sinatra in 1943.
Diana also does brilliant covers of songs which were originally American hits for Peggy Lee (I don't know enough about you, 1946), Fred Astaire (They can't take that away from me, 1937), I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you (Bing Crosby, 1933), You're getting to be a habit with me (Bing Crosby, 1934), How deep is the ocean (in 1932, three different versions were top ten American hits - Guy Lombardo, Paul Whiteman and Rudy Vallee), Garden in the rain (Gene Austin, 1929) and Shep Fields (That old feeling, 1937).
Of course, some of those singers and bands have long since been forgotten even in their homeland, while others have been immortalised. Diana's covers of these great songs, nicely updated for today's music fans, demonstrates their enduring quality.
I largely ignored jazz music and the Great American Songbook before I discovered Diana's music. This was the album that changed everything for me - I have since become a huge fan of Peggy Lee and Claire Martin, among many others.
Thank you, Diana.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like she's singing right into your ears..., 13 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
I have all of Diana's albums, but this is in my opinion by far the best because it really showcases her voice. She is in my opinion the best jazz vocalist of our times. What I especially love about this album are the simple arrangements & accompaniment of just double bass & jazz guitar - it makes it far more intimate, warm and it provides more space for Diana's brilliant vocals so you really have the impression she is singing just to you - right in your ears. The audio quality on this album is also just fantastic. If you love Diana but don't have this album yet, then put this on the top of your wishlist, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Log fire, comfy sofa and the one you love, 8 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
On a trip to Vermont with my wife 2 years ago, we stayed in a beautiful bed and breakfast private house. We were the only guests and the owners went out one cold and snowy evening leaving us alone with the log fire, telling us to help ourselves to their CD collection. Diana Krall's Love Scenes was on the top of the pile and was the only CD we played all night. After the first listening, I just set the player on auto-replay and we slipped into a warm and cosy world where we were the only inhabitants. Pure escapism.

3.0 out of 5 stars All or nothing at all, 7 Sept. 2013
Eric Mascarin Perigault (Panamá) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)

Un tanto aburrido este album de Diana. Tiene canciones del cancionero americano. Los arreglos no son buenos. Es demasiado jazz para mis oidos. La melodía original de las canciones está cambiada. Pero todo es cuestion de gustos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana's amazing sexy - voice will take you by storm !, 21 Feb. 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
I broke my collar bone on a recent skiing trip in February 2000 and more opportunity than most to listen repeatedly to this album. Our chalet hosts brought this CD from Canada, and if you like modern, moody yet very sexy blues - in the traditional 'Patsy Kline' style - this album is certainly for you. Diana's amazing voice will enthrall you - and who would beleive that a song entitled 'Peel me a grape' could sound so good. The best albumn I have heard for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One sexy lady with one fine CD, 14 Feb. 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
I first heard Ms.Krall on a GRP sampler in 1995, her recording of 'Is you is or is you ain't my Baby', had me hooked right from the start. I started playing her tracks on a regular basis and have not stopped since. It was said that her voice is like 'wild honey with a spoonful of scotch', the tracks on 'Love Scenes' confirm that in spades.Her rendition of 'I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you' has me smiling like a 'loon', I only wish it was me she was singing it to! If like me, you are sold on sexy voices, then look no further, and if you do nothing else right this century, take a listen to Diana Krall and be prepared to be SEDUCED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Krall at her best, 15 July 2008
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
This is the kind of album I'd like Diana Krall to make all the time. Utilising the combo of piano, guitar and bass, Krall has never sounded more natural and sensuous than on this choice selection of great songs. While her orchestral efforts with Johnny Mandel have their merits, I do think she is most effective when presented in this less "produced" setting, where her beguiling voice is brought to the fore and her excellent piano stylings have some room to breathe. I sometimes find Krall's renditions a little sonambulent, but here even the most languid ballad has movement and pulse ("Garden in the Rain", an overlooked but beautiful song by Carroll Gibbons, is a superb example). We also find her in a playful mood on "Peel Me a Grape" (she doesn't often delve into comedy songs).

This is Diana Krall at her considerable best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy jazz, 22 Mar. 2005
fallingforstars (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent album expertly transferred to the dynamic DTS surround sound format. A real sense of prescence lifts this out of the ordinary. Ideal for chill-out jazz afficionados. Another solid recommendation for this format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent smoochie night time stuff, 2 Feb. 2000
This review is from: Love Scenes (Audio CD)
So cool, her voice is excellent. This and Bryan Ferry's new album of oldies, along with anything by Chet Baker, set the CD on random,open the wine and there's a cool evening's listening ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent DVD Audio Disc !, 9 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
Krall is superb, and DVD audio quality just matches her superb recordings.
Won't repeat all the other reviews below, just to say that the DVD audio disc is Superb if you have a decent system to justify all the information her recording engineers have put on the disc.
Another genuine dvd audio disc with High resolution sound !

Love Scenes
Love Scenes by Diana Krall (Audio CD - 1999)