5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for nostalgia addicts
Published on 15 Jan 2001 by Majkic

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted - I refuuse to give a rating!
I returned the goods, a cd in adequate safe packaging, but I have not been recompensed as yet! Why not? Is the seller as reputable as it should be to trade under your good name? Please let me know when I shall receive payment, please? EA
PS It doesn't deserve a star rating!
Published on 24 Feb 2011 by Mr Edward Ashill

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for nostalgia addicts, 15 Jan 2001
Majkic (Leeds, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Extraordinary Garden - The Very Best Of Charles Trenet (Audio CD)
Few people these days will have heard of Charles Trenet. I for one plead to ignorance until recently, when I was enlightened by Nicola & Martin, owners of "Volare", our wonderful local Mediterranean restaurant where I first heard some of this CD! Actually, "Boum" has featured fairly recently in a UK TV ad for private healthcare and is most likely to ring bells if nothing else does. Perhaps, like me, you'd heard it but not known who the performer was.
Either way, delve beyond the joie-de-vivre, humour and vocal gymnastics of "Boum", and other facets of Trenet's artistic personality emerge, too. Far from being a mere amateur singer (as Maurice Chevalier apparently rather disparagingly described him) Trenet is as much a poet as a songwriter and performer (the term "singer" is inadequate, as you'll hear).
I second another reviewer's comment that this CD contains much that is the perfect antidote to melancholy. But some of the songs could bring a lump to your throat, too; listen carefully to "Que-Reste-T-Il-De Nos Amours", or the lilting "La Maison Du Poete" and you'll know what I mean. There's depth and feeling here, as well as fun.
The sound quality is fresh and where it's been transcribed from the old 78 rpm recordings the process has been executed well, and fortunately without the nasty, dead-sounding CEDAR noise reduction process being applied.
An irresistably French CD, obviously written and performed with much love and enthusiasm, and highly recommended to anyone with a soft spot for French music and (idiosyncratic? well, sometimes) nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you love music ?, 23 Mar 2002
By A Customer
If you love music of any kind you will love this CD. Most people will vaguely know of Charles Trenent from the classic and uplifting "La Mer", or more recently from the Peugeot TV advert which features "Le Jardin Extraordinaire". Over recent years I was aware of Charles Trenent from Michael Parkinson's wonderful Radio 4 Programme of timeless recordings of artists from the last 70 years; from Al Bowlly and Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin, to Scott Walker and even Robbie Williams and George Michael. Charles Trenent is a treasure known to the French nation for the last 70 years; listen to this CD, and see what we poor, blinkered Britons have been missing all these years. This is the perfect introduction to the music of Charles Trenent, brought to us via the wonders of modern digital music technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars The joy of listening to Charles Trenet, 14 Dec 2000
By A Customer
Sufferers of SAD this is for you, you cannot but feel uplifted when listening to Charles Trenet. His music is sunny and light, the words full of fantasy and sunshine. Take a glass of red wine, preferably from the Languedoc, turn on your brightest light and relax, delight in the French charm of Charles Trenet. Nothing better for a dark winter day! Try his Greatest Recordings 1937-1943 and listen to songs like 'Vous oubliez votre cheval'.Mad and full of fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of French music if you are in a mood for nostalgia, 21 Nov 2007
PAUL MCCUE (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I only realised that Charles Trenet was the singer of such classics as La Mer when he died. I am not of his era, but I bought the CD and it is superb. I can put it on in the car, in the middle of stalled traffic, and be transported to the French countryside. And my 3 year old daughter also fell in love with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing. Puts you in a very good mood., 30 Aug 2010
Have only recently discovered Charles Trenet. What a gem. I find it particularly relaxing to put this on before I fall asleep. Also good if you just want to feel brighter about life. Would recommend this CD without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars great CD with all of C Trenet's hits, 29 Jan 2010
This CD contains all the big hits of Trenet. That's what I expected when I bought the product. Apart from that, pity that the lyrics are not included.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 15 Jun 2011
I knew the opening track 'Boum' from movies such as 'A Good Life' and I knew 'La Mer' but I did not expect to finds so much here to enjoy. Every track evokes different emotions and I cannot stop playing it. My tastes in music are varied and include rock, blues and jazz but this is so refreshing. It has a timeless quality. Trénet must have been a wonderful entertainer. He is able to adapt his voice to suit different songs and convey different emotions. I don't know why more people don't know of him. Well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars CD: Charles Trenet., 9 Oct 2013
Mr. P. M. Adams (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good collection of songs sung by Charles Trenet - in French, of course, and you can hear every word. They are of a certain era, which is fine by me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vastly entertaining, 13 Sep 2013
I really don't care that I can hardly understand a word of the lyrics (not the fault of Trenet - my appalling French!) The music is singular and one or two of the tracks make me laugh out loud and I don't know why. That joy is good enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Jardin Extraordinaire., 18 April 2013
J. Mcdonald "Yelochre" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I just got this to replace my worn-out, original audio-cassette version of the album which I`ve had for about 20 years; it`s like having an old friend back.

This is one of the best single-disc compilations of Trenet`s music available; lovely clear original sound, lovingly transferred to disc by EMI. It`s a nicely selected and well programmed set as well, balancing the poetic, ("L'ame Des Poetes") the nostalgic ("Coin De Rue") and the ebulliently surreal ("Y'a d'la Joie").
It makes the perfect introduction for anyone just discovering his wonderful legacy; I first heard him on Alexis Korner`s Blues and Soul Show, of all places! John Peel wasn't the only BBC presenter who generously offered diversity in his playlists...

And there's a bonus; the album originally ended with the glorious "La Mer". The last five songs on this CD re-issue were not on the original record, so you get just over 74 minutes playing-time.
Warmly recommended.