5.0 out of 5 stars a great collection
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by Parkie

3.0 out of 5 stars A time before boy bands and girl power
An energy and controled agression that brings back the mod-revival of 1979/80. A passion and angst that is often lacking in the bands of today.
Published on 14 Jan. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a great collection, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Time for Action : The Very Best of Secret Affair (Audio CD)
I remembered liking a couple of this band's songs from the late 70s, and realise how many other great songs I missed out on. These are mostly upbeat numbers with a few slower ones to let you catch your breath, higly listenable lead vocals and some of the best instrumental breaks ever with saxophone and brass solos that are just amazing, the break in "My World" being a classic in itself. When I first listened to the album I thought "Going to a Go Go" would be the only one to get on my nerves after a while, but it's become one of my favourites. These tunes really do grow on you. "Lost in the Night (Mack the Knife)" bears no similarity to the 50s classic, but is an excellent tune with memorable lyrics, 'With dark intent and thoughts unkind, he creeps up on you from behind". "Streetlife Parade" starts slowly and has an atmospheric instrumental break that is nighttime in the city turned to music. "Hide and Seek" sounds like the theme to the best 70s teatime serial you never saw but wished you had, and "I'm not Free" takes off into a fantastic full band instrumental that rounds the album off perfectly.
Music to make you feel young again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, 23 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
After not hearing my vinyl copies of the albums of this band for over 15 years, I had forgotten just how good they are. The tracks still sound fresh and not at all dated. Highly recommended if you don't have any of their albums, or if you just want a "best of" to stick in the car so you can sing until you've got a sore throat ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Secret Affair, 15 Mar. 2012
I liked Secret Affair as a twenty-something and recently got involved in my local 70s/80s music revival scene, hearing Time for action for the first time in many years.
This prompted me to look for an album and, of course, I went straight to Amazon.
I absolutely love this album. Some of the tracks are well known, some less well known, but all really good.
Good upbeat music, ideal for listening to in the car.
I can't recommend it enough. My personal favourite is "I want to be your dance master".
Buy it...now...and find out for yourself. Top sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars The leading light of the 70s/80s MOD revival, 6 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Listening to this CD made me realise that my youth had not been mispent. Truely the best of their day, over-looked and under-rated.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best Of Secret Affair, 6 Nov. 2010
This is the album of my youth, and what a brilliant compilation it is. There are the hits plus songs I have to own up and admit i did not know. But tnhey are all amazing. The price was an absolute bargain, and yet again Amazon were not slow in delivering this CD to me. A great buy. A bargain and if you are a fan of music of this type then you will NOT be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Affair at their best., 16 Feb. 2013
M. Bunyan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Time For Action (Audio CD)
Always one of the best live bands of the early eighties and still going strong. This is a snap shot of them at the top of teir game and a bargain for all fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poppier than The Jam, better than Echo and the Bunnymen, 5 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This group is a classic example of under-exposed talent. This collection takes the best from Behind Closed Doors and Glory Boys. The motown-influence, beatlesque pop sound weaves catchy tune that will have you humming the tunes in the shower and singing along in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, 10 Dec. 2010
Patrick Wylie (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Some really good tunes and songs from the Mod revival era. The music still sounds good now, in fact sounds better than a lot of music these days!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, smashing super, 9 Oct. 2012
It could be that i am now older, but this album is better than almost anything around today. I understand that it is all subjective, and today's music will be heralded by this generation in twenty years as "better than today's" music. Sadly, i do feel that music from the 80's and 90's maybe the last time that songs with melody, rhythm and audible lyrics were created. Well i will get of my soap box now and say that this is a great album ans worth a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret Affair - best of, 3 Mar. 2011
Mr. Colin C. Hawksworth (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I usually avoid 'best of' compilations... but I've started to buy a few recently. If you're not a massive fan of a particular band, it's a good way to get to know their work.
I remember Secret Affair in the late 70s and early 80s - but wasn't too into them at the time... now I kick myself and realise what I missed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Time for Action : The Very Best of Secret Affair
Time for Action : The Very Best of Secret Affair by Secret Affair (Audio CD - 1997)