Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 August 2001
Andrea Bocelli has one of those voices that need no vibrato or embellishment whatsoever. His voice is so pure and strong, it could fill a concert hall with no accompaniament. His fame owes nothing to Tuscany or the romance associated with it, his voice carries its own appeal. It seems such a shame that as soon as a great tenor leaves the field of opera, he is drubbed by the critics. He has a tone and depth without compare, and it is all here on this album. Heart rending melodies from a more classical bearing combined with contemporary popular music, all featuring the powerful yet compassionate voice of Bocelli. If by becoming popular he has alienated the opera goers, then it is to the benefit of the majority. A voice like his comes along every thousand years, and we should all enjoy it without prejudice.
on 14 July 2000
Andrea Bocelli is captivating. I listen to "Romanza" at home and in my car. He will stir you to new dimensions while listening. This album has a bit of opera, but is probably more of a popular hits collection to be enjoyed by all. Watching him perform is even better. He doesn't display the usual animation that most performers do, and because of it, his presence grabs hold of the audience like a magnet. His voice will do the same.
on 17 March 2001
.....so therefore, just bear with me, okay? I'm just so damn sick and tired of the so-called "critics" who keep trashing the hell out of this truly talented man. I know everyone has the right to his own opinion, but I have the habit of telling whoever hates Bocelli to go hate him somewhere else.
Now then, onto the album review. Con Te Partirò opens the album. Everyone knows the song. It was the one that made him all that in Europe, and it shows, because of its absolutely sweet melody. Many people have said that this and Time To Say Goodbye are the only songs on this album they listen to and not the whole CD. Not me. I like some others here as well. Vivere, taken from the now out of print Il Mare Calmo Della Sera album, is more slow rock, but I like it. Per Amore, in my opinion, is one of the best selections on the album. Now THAT song does my homeboy justice! And speaking of Il Mare Calmo Della Sera, the title track from the 1994 CD comes next. It's nice except for the second verse, where Andrea sounds a little screechy.
"Caruso," however, is one track I really don't care for, because there's too much in the way of piano that tries to hide Bocelli's voice. And he doesn't seem to shine through very much on that otherwise memorable selection, which has also been covered by none other than Luciano Pavarotti. But Macchine Da Guerra makes up for lost ground. What the lyrics (and the translations) say is absolutely on the nose, because nothing's going well nowadays in the real world. "Le Tue Parole" is one of two songs here that has a sort of Latin bent in it. Pretty cheeky. Vivo Per Lei was originally sung in half Italian half German on the 1995 Bocelli album. Here it is again, in all Italian this time. This selection is an absolute wonder. :)
Which brings us to "Romanza," the emotional Mauro Malavasi period piece. Another one of the best on this CD, Andrea gives it his all on this selection to such an extent that he actually moves you instead of just make you think twice before crying. So lovely. The next track, "La Luna Che Non C'è," is absolutely outstanding. Why it wasn't released as a single is beyond me, because it reminds me of hits by the likes of Céline Dion, Luther Vandross, Toni Braxton, and the like, only better than some of them and as "power ballads" really ought to sound like, and not like so many of them wherein instead of hitting the high notes the so-called "divas" just yell out their lines. (No offense to Céline or Whitney Houston, but, respectively, My Heart Will Go On and I Will Always Love You turn from hits to misses in my book.) "Rapsodia" is pretty damn good, too, but runs 20 seconds too long.
In case you didn't know, "Voglio Restare Così" was actually written by Andrea in dedication to his wife. The song sounds more techno than expected, but it's a nice piece. I just like it better as performed on the "Night in Tuscany" video/DVD. "E Chiove" sounds very adult contemporary, very Latin-like, just plain gorgeous. Miserere, which was written by Zucchero and Bono (of U2 fame), is here as performed with John Miles at Night at the Proms 1995. Another winner for Bocelli even though my mother doesn't think it's all that. Time To Say Goodbye, the previously mentioned reincarnation of Con Te Partirò, saves the day and has to be hands down the best song on the CD. I've lost favor for Sarah Brightman, but this song still remains a favorite in my house.
WHEW! 15 songs, a lot of writing for each of them, am I right? There are beautiful pictures of Andrea and liner notes in the booklet. The front cover is one of the best things about the CD. Even though I like the pictures from Sacred Arias much better, that front shot of Andrea in fiery red (which symbolizes true passion and the color of this CD) really holds me down. If you liked Canto Della Terra and the album Sogno as a whole you MUST listen to this album! I hope this review helped you.
on 23 June 2000
My favourite songs on this CD are Romanza, Con Te Partiro (otherwise known as Time to Say Goodbye, the duet he did with Sarah Brightman) and La Luna Che Non C'e to name just a few. This CD is very enjoyable to listen to and personally I wouldn't have put this CD under the classical section, I would have put it under popular music along with his album Sogno as it is very easy listening, not heavy Opera at all. Andrea Bocelli's voice is perfect to relax and unwind with; he puts you in your own little world! A word to those who may be put off about all the lyrics being in Italian; the English lyrics are printed along side the Italian lyrics, but believe me had he sung these songs in English it wouldn't have been the same, Italian is the language of Opera and after listening to these songs over and over again, it's amazing how much you can understand! Even if you're not really an Opera fan, give this CD a go; I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
on 25 August 2005
Romanza" was my first Andrea Boticelli album and still remains my favorite. I think this is the tenor's most definitive collection, showcasing his sweet, rich sound, powerfully held long notes, and exquisite sense of cadence. Supposedly, this was the CD geared to "bridge the gap" between pop and opera. Boticelli certainly exhibits a diverse style with this top-notch selection of romantic songs.
When I originally bought "Romanza," back in the 20th century, I did so because of Botecelli's interpretation of "Con te Partiro," (Time To Say Goodbye"), which is still an exceptional song after all these years. It is dedicated to German World Light-Heavyweight boxing champion, Henry Maske and was performed at his farewell contest. Botecelli begins the album with his superb rendition of this piece, and ends with a duet of same with soprano Sarah Brightman. Simply outstanding!! The chorus was rewritten for the CD to incorporate the lyrics, "Time to say goodbye."
Other favorite cuts include: "Vivere," also a duet, this time with Sicilian soul songstress Gerardina Trovato; "Per Amore" is an intense and intensely beautiful ballad, as is "El Silencio de la Espera," which I simply love. When the song comes on I belt-out the lyrics along with Botecelli - when I am alone with him, of course; "Caruso" is poignant, emotional, poetic, with a wonderful piano backup; "Vivo per Lei" features Giorgia. Her voice blends almost seamlessly with Andrea's in this lovely ballad. "Miserere," a live duet featuring John Miles, is wonderfully bluesy and one of my favorite tracks. The contrast between Miles' raspy voice and Boticelli's soaring tones is fantastic!
Andrea Boticelli's classically trained, expressive voice combined with the lush instrumental melodies and elegant material make this CD a must have!
JANA
on 21 May 2012
Being a bit of a purist, I didn't 'take' to Bocelli at first. Now, having listened so much to Romanza, I appreciate the quality and depth of his voice and emotion.
on 14 February 2010
if you are a true fan of andrea.you will not be dissapointed, and even if you are not , i think you will be a convert after you have listened to it....
on 18 October 2010
We first heard this whilst sipping a glass of wine in Duras in the SW of France. The music, the atmosphere and probably the wine conspired to make a magic moment.

Back in the UK, the music has not lost its charm, it is sung from the heart, with great feeling and depth. I recommend this CD to anyone who wants to be put into a musical trance.

However, back in the UK, there is not the same atmosphere, and certainly not the same wine, but the music is as good as ever it was.
on 8 November 2013
I think Andrea Bocelli is fabulous, everything he sings is lovely! I prefer some of his more recent CD's though - perhaps because the music is more familiar to me apart from my favourite is a Time to say Goodbye with Sarah Brightman but he has recorded that song on other CD's.
The first time I saw Andrea on telelvision was with Sarah Brightman singing this song & I have never forgotton it, they were so moving when singing together
on 16 November 1999
If for no other reason, buy this cd for "Por Ti Volare". This is an incredible, passionate song that accompanies a romantic Italian meal for two absolutely perfectly. Andrea Bocelli has a stunning voice that fits these operatic numbers like a glove - I can't imagine anyone being able to perform them to greater perfection. There is also a beautiful duet on the cd with Sarah Brightman (of Andrew Lloyd Weber musical fame) called "Time to Say Goodbye" - another stunner of a song... but probably not quite as fitting for the romantic Italian dinner for two, considering the title. If you like opera, this is a guaranteed pleaser. To be honest, I haven't really listened to the entire cd in any great depth as I always catch myself replaying the first and last songs over and over again.