Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 22 August 2012
Recently i went back to hearing this cd and the more i hear it the more i rediscover how good is. The first song "You Better You Bet" a great hit single that evoques "Pictures of Lily" and mentions the sound of old T-Rex and "Who s' Next"........

The second song "Dont Let Go the Coat", is another winner, could have been a biggest hit but was not; rarely performed live.

"Cache Cache" tells a story when Pete Townshend ended up sleeping with some bears. Never played on stage by The Who, only to be performed once during his 2011 solo tour by Roger. Great song, that uses similar chords to "Let My Love Open the Door".

Next, a John Entwistle penned song: "The Quiet One". The band shows their "heavy side", playing a interesting autobiographical song "I aint quiet everybody else is too loud" shouts John Entwistle about him labeled "the quiet one". Played live by The Who during their 1981/1982 tour, there are some even better versions.

"Did You Steal my money"...The Who like we never did hear them again, sounding like "The Police". Good catche tune, player rarely only during their 1981 english tour.

"How can you do it alone", finds The Who opening this song with similar chords (The Overture from Tommy"). The song is carried by Entwistle s' bass and Roger great voice. It has a great "bridge" in the middle with Kenney Jones doing a great job.

"Daily Records" is amazing. A original Who sounding song. Excellent vocals, guitar, drums, bass, piano. It is perfect in time changes. One overlooked gem ! Never played live.

"You" is the second Entwistle song, and is a absolute winner ! Furious, heavy guitar playin by Pete, and vocals by Roger and John. Sadly never played on stage by The Who. Only the John Entwistle band used to play this song.

"Another Tricky Day"...great song. Entwistle drives the song here along with Kenney Jones drumming. Great vocals by Roger. A live staple at Who shows.

The remixed and remastered version lowers the bass sound particularly in "You Better You Bet". Includes 3 additional studio songs, and the best one is "Somebody Saved Me" later included in a Pete Townshend solo album "All the Best Cowboys have Chinese Eyes".

"The Quiet One" live version here is amazing and "How Can You Do it Alone", is interesting because, it shows the origin of the song.

The problem with this album seems that hard core fans never accepted that Kenney Jones is no Keith Moon. Also the sound given by the production to the drums did not helped. The Who was trying to move away from their tradicional sound, and got the Eagles/Joe Walsh producer, and this was the result.
on 5 August 2006
As some of the reviews clearly show, this album is not well regarded by Who fans in general. And you can see why. It lacks the visceral bombast of the classic 'Who's Next' or the expansive imagination of 'Tommy' or 'Quadraphenia'.

But I have always really enjoyed it. I think it fits far better if considered alongside the two Pete Townshend solo albums that he released before and after it. It is far more of a piece with 'Empty Glass' and 'All the best cowboys have chinese eyes' than with The Who's golden era.

If you like the introspective and sometimes painfully confessional songwriting of those two albums, then you may find that on Face Dances Townshend reveals his bruised soul (shorn of grand allegories) as on no other record.

A quiet classic.
on 7 July 2010
To be honest I regard Who's Next as their best work, with some of their earlier albums being very good too. However, this post-Keith Moon album has it's charms and if you have several Who albums already it's worth finding a place in your collection for this one.
on 30 July 2012
Simply another classic Who album. Who can forget (no pun intended) You Better, You Bet? And then there are lesser known but excellent songs such as Another Tricky Day and Daily Records to put you in a true WHO frame of mind.
on 24 December 2014
This album was a change of focus for the band and you do miss Keith Moon's contribution, however not all is lost as there are some excellent songs, not least You Better You Bet and Don't Let Go the Coat. I have to admit that it is starting to grow on me after a few plays and it is certainly worth having if you consider yourself a fan.
on 24 August 2015
I ordered this CD, together with Quadrophenia, as part of my husband's birthday present. We are both fans of The Who, and consider them to be one of the best bands ever! This CD is absolutely brilliant and the sound quality is every bit as good as the original LP record we bought when it first came out. Excellent! If you like The Who, you'll love this!
on 29 June 2001
I never listened to The Who, but my parents had this album so it got into my head. Ten years later, I tried it again and I was amazed. This is a superb album with marvelous guitars and drums. I don't which is my favourite song - they all are... I don't know was any song a big hit (but the album was #2 in UK and #4 in U.S.) but some of them should have been for sure... From the wonderful slower songs like Another Tricky Day and How Can You Do It Alone, to the great guitars like in The Quit One and Daily Recods this album never gets down. Buy it. You won't regret it. I promise!
on 23 August 2015
I left this album behind 18 years ago when I left Canada. When I put the CD on I discovered that I still knew all the words to the songs. That's what I call love. This item was well packaged, as described and arrived in a timely manner.
on 13 July 2015
Great album! never heard it before as stopped buying who albums after Keith Moons death!, but am really surprised how good it is!!.
on 30 July 2015
A great Who album. I had this on vinyl years ago and have only just round to replacing it on CD. Great to hear it again.