Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 January 2008
Up until recently I used to have a time on a Monday afternoon where I had to sit down, concentrate and get on with some paper work. This was often my cd of choice. Instead of being in my office at work I was transported to a jazz bar in New York, relaxing and enjoying myself. That was my happy place, to help me get through the paper work. Soon people were asking me if they could borrow this cd because they also found it to be the musical version of someone stroking your head.
on 17 December 2006
Never really rated him as a crooner but he made that trumpet talk, laugh, cry and sing.

This album reaches new depths in moody and expressive playing.

New generation 'bad boys' take note - here's a guy who had his teeth kicked out during a mugging, (devastating for a trumpet player), came back after several years only to leave us again, this time via a hotel window whilst under the influence. Now that's bad.

If you like trumpet playing buy this - but be warned it's not Baroque. If you like smooth jazz and Chet's an old friend just come out to play again, then you'll be right at home.

Comfortable 5 stars.
on 2 January 2002
There's no need for anyone to blow his trumpet.Chet Baker does it with consumate grace and with a swing that does justice to the material he transforms from good to magnificent.
White Blues is littered with cool cool tracks that
tell their own tales. Here is a white player who truly understands the blues and makes a connection
with the great players and singers of the music.
His phrasing has the timing of Billy Holiday, the grace of early Miles and the drive of The Bird.
If you have only got the price of this collection in your pocket...spend the money.
White Blues is the business.
on 1 April 2010
A good album with Chet Baker displaying considerable improvisatory skill with his horn on a collection of fast, slow and medium tempo numbers. Chet doesn't sing but the tone of the album is for the most part mellow and tuneful ('Dolphin Dance', Star Eyes' are particularly outstanding). 'White Blues' and 'Well You Needn't' by contrast are more abstract featuring fragemented phrases in the bebop vein. Chet's version of the classic 'Round Midnight' must be one of the best and 'Closet Blues' taken at a fast pace features a succession of fine solos from drums, bass, guitar piano and tenor sax. The musicians in session with Chet are nothing short of outstanding and contribute significantly to the enjoyment of this album.

Reccomended, particularly if you prefer a non-singing Chet Baker!
on 7 October 2015
What can I say? I've loved jazz for fifty years, and during that time I've seen a great many artists. I've been as close as ten feet to Count Basie while he held a very distressed Ella Fitzgerald after the death of the Duke. However I'd never really heard Chet Baker, and I regret that immensely.
Miles Davis was sometimes too avant garde, and Satchmo was always in the upper register - squealing away as did so many others.
But Chet was cool, and I missed it. But I I'm going to make up for it now. This cat could make his horn talk, and express so many emotions. This record is full of tracks where he does just that. Don't believe me? Get hold of the disk and listen to it. You'll see what I mean. Better still, just buy the disc -it's worth it.
on 7 December 2010
This is a collection of fine bluesy jazz by a master of the trumpet. Tone and phrasing superb all the way through. Highly recommended.
on 22 October 2015
Very sad how he ended up. Great musician. He delivered. Love him.
on 17 February 2015
Excellent buy. Good vanity of tunes. Highly recommended.
on 17 December 1999
This has some great tunes. Fabulous trumpet by chet himself as well as some great double bass and drumming solos. If you like jazz, get it.
on 31 August 2015
Perfect for a gift for a blues fan