Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 October 2004
This is one of those albums that you find yourself enigmatically drawn into. In itself, this expresses a very rare quality, and it's very difficult to define exactly how this is achieved. Miles is popularly known for the dance smash 'Children' and the equally successful 'One & One', and this album certainly fulfils the Italian DJ's club credentials. Yet beyond the soaring beats of these floor-fillers, there's something just a little bit special.
Miles's distinctive tinkly piano playing may not be of concerto standard, but there's something in the simplicity of these arrangements that strikes at the heart of the dream experience. Each track asserts a unique identity filled with energy, effortlessly articulating a spectrum of moods and feelings from the dark and brooding to the poignant and ethereal. Furthermore, the album is arranged so that each track feeds seamlessly into the next, creating a musical panorama.
There's a sound here for every mood, be that reflection, inspiration, or motivation. Incorporating both everyday sounds and otherworldly rhythms, the overall effect is mystical and entrancing. And if all that fails to impress, then simply check out the final track, 'Red Zone' - a spectacular instrumental track that oozes longing and desire.
on 15 May 2007
I brought this album when it first came out and absolutley loved it. Unfortunately it got lost when I moved a few years ago and I have been longing to buy it again. Today I have done so and I can't wait for it's arrival. My fav's are 'Children' and 'Fable'. I used to get totally lost and couldn't help singing along and tapping my feet when listening to the tracks , much to my daughters annoyance... I whole heartedly recommend anyone to purchase it and hope they enjoy it as much as me. 'Children' has been played on the radio a fair bit recently which got my enthusiasm going again. Sheer Brilliance........
on 21 September 2005
Well, where do I begin? This music defined an era. An era of memories and the good old days. The 90's. The untouchable years. The glory days....whatever you want to call them. Them infamous Saturday mornings, watching Live and Kicking, then Football Focus and Grandstand. Wow! This music is just simply amazing. What can I say about CHILDREN. It is THE most inspiring, uplifting and motivational piece of music ever written, in my opinion. Whilst all my friends would listen to the common, pop, rap, rnb and all that...I would listen to Children. On them lonely cold Sunday evenings, watching the rain pour down my window, and having school & college the next morning. This music kept me going and still keeps me going to this very day. It has entered my heart and will never ever leave. When I am down and out, this CD comes to my rescue. I've never ever bought a album in my entire life, but I HAD to buy this. I bought it many years after it came out. I still can't believe I bought it as I'm not a buying type, but I had to...just as a tribute to Robert Miles' masterpiece, Dreamland. The title says it all. When you listen to this piece of music you're in Dreamland. I have this on my mp3 player on the saturday mornings when I go for a jog or walk and the sun beams down on me and I just revel in the ecstasy of the moment. It will never let you down. In the clubs, cars, at home. Whenever. Children is a masterpiece that will never again be made. I don't know how Robert Miles did it. The rest of the songs are also brilliant. They have that shivering and haunting feel to them. They're just brilliant. Listen to Children or any other song on this album....put in your headfones...or put the music on full...close your eyes and just pretend your an eagle soaring through the Blue sky on a Saturday afternoon....SIMPLY BRILLIANT. 5 OUT OF 5!!
on 21 August 2012
"Truly legendary chillout techno music" - Need I say anything more!
I always wanted to get Robert Mile's debut album, the first time I heard his first song Children back in the 90's. There's plenty of variety for everything in this album reflecting and accompanying different waves of moods, from the sombre "Fable" to the legendary and catchy "Children". It certainly will go in the top 10 albums of all time in music history, it's that good and no doubt has inspired lots of DJ's in the 90's like Chicane, Afterlife, and Thievery Corporation. It's electronic chillout at its best of the 90's, and it certainly has stood the test of time!
on 16 October 2004
I first came across this cd at a friends and instantly loved it. I hadn't come across Robert Miles before and couldn't believe how much it moved me. Most mornings you will find me out running with music playing in my ear. You guessed it, Dreamland. The smell of the early morning, the quiet streets the feeling of being the only person in the world. Listening to Dreamland inspires me to keep running, i feel i could run forever. A must have for any one thats wants to be inspired.
Vangelis can send you into a moody spiritual state. Chicane can give you a techno beat that tends to dampen the soaring synthesizers that are used so well. Robert Miles combines the best of the two and runs with it. Although some of his tracks (like Chicane) contain voice enhanced singers that don't add much, the keyboard work is multi-layered and hypnotic. Best known for "Children", a popular well-balanced dance mix that does just as well on the car stereo, Miles also incorporates other mixes that almost do as well. You will get a strong sense of mood and if you prefer not to dance, turn the bass down and focus on those ethereal keyboards that are his best traits.
on 11 April 2003
I would have to say that this is the best album of Robert Miles I have ever heard. Its contain all of his most famous track including one & one and children and alternative remix to some of them. A very good buy if your a Robert Miles fan and if not a good starting album to get into the mood of Robert Miles...
on 5 August 2010
I love it when you hear music that instantly imprints itself on your soul the moment you hear it. I think it's almost like love at first sight; rare but, oh, so sweet! I heard 'Children' years ago and obviously loved it but I would urge people to give 'In My Dreams', 'One and One' and 'Princess of Light' a listen as I think these are just as strong. God bless you Roberto!
on 26 April 2014
Remembering the days of my childhood, when this album was produced, listening to this album after many years, it still sounds so tender, peaceful, tranquil, clean and clear like fresh white foamy waves of relaxed soul reaching the shores of consciousness. This music has feeling, that is pure, innocent, warm, dreamy. High quality ambience and musical journey to soul.
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2005
With Robert Miles' massive reputation in all fields of electronica, you may find it startling that I could find fault with this album - and I can admit that I am judging this with some degree of hindsight.
I bought this album because I loved "Children", as it is certainly one of the defining pieces of early trance music. While some would argue that this CD is worth buying simply for that one track, others may be disappointed to find that it really doesn't offer much else.
It seems like every trance has the same kickdrum, the same off-beat bassline, and the same piano and string combinations. The piano melodies obviously vary - some are better than others - and of course, this is Miles' signature style of the time so one can expect to hear a lot of similarly structured tracks. But it simply becomes too much for me, at some stages.
While "One & One" is a very nice piece of pop, and some of the tracks take a darker, twisting direction such as "In The Dawn", this album still doesn't really offer much variety.
The final track, "Red Zone" is, on the contrary, absolutely sublime - it provides the listener with a darker, slightly tougher and menacing approach to trance, while still remaining fairly dreamy. It is a refreshing break from the formulaic piano pieces that assume the first part of the album, but it is a break that has come too late.
Robert Miles is undoubtedly one of the creators of dream trance and house, and this album gives a very typical display of a 1996 Robert Miles production. However, this man has since moved on and has become more than just an average producer - just listen to his next album, "23am", and you will see the groundbreaking musician that this man has become.
"Dreamland" is an adequate album for those who like their tunes dancier and upbeat, but it doesn't even start to do Miles justice.