5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing
Very few albums of the last 50 years can truely be considered Masterpieces. Led Zepplin IV (Led Zepplin), Master of Puppets(Metallica) and Ok Computer (Radiohead) are probably the only ones that spring to MY mind at least. Enter Aenima.
I bought the album 3 years ago while on Holiday in America. After the first listen I honestly didnt appreciate it. I mean I didnt...
Published on 25 July 2001 by benjmorgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I've taken a step back with Tool now unfortunately.

First I started with 10,000 days (half fillers) and then Lateralus (decent first half).
After reading all these rave reviews about Aenima I thought I'd give it a go. Sadly it didn't meet my expectations.

Lateralus was indeed an amazing album with even the 'filler' tracks holding my attention...
Published 16 months ago by Metal4Nature

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous, 25 April 2002
David Lazzari - See all my reviews
Keeping it short & sweet:
This is an important album for music in general but also in my perceptions of American rock music. I have few US bands in my collection - most are UK & Australian with some electic others. Living Color a too short-lived band made a similar impact. I found Tool on local radio JJJ with the release of Sober. It was then some years before I got around to picking up Undertow. Apart from Sober it didn't make too much of an impression. However it left enough to warrant getting Aenima. Well what can I say - Aenima may not have been the revelation it was to one or two other reviewers but it has cemented Tool as a top-rated band of the current era in my perceptions of popular music. Despite being tagged as metal they're much more subtle. The lyrics stand as poetry on their own. They are not necessarily pretty lyrics - neither is the music. The emotions percolate through.
Outstanding tracks of course are Forty-six & 2, Aenima, H, Stinkfist, Eulogy.
In summary - Aenema is a must have for anyone who enjoys music.
Tool are appearing in Canberra on 29 April 2002. I have my ticket. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aenima, 20 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
To try to comprehend this album with words is impossible. It incurrs feelings in you that nothing else can, sometimes greatly uncomfortable yet justified, but also of great reassurance. Tool have transcripted pure feeling into an album, which is extremely rare today, and to do it with such control and ability is almost impossible, but they've done it.
From the love of stinkfist through to the hatred of Aenima, this album can do so much that no other album cannot.
I have easily listened to this album over 100 times and I know it so well I could write a whole review for each song, but it just wouldn't comprehend the genius and effort that this album contains.
I can't make you buy this album, but if I could i'd strap you to a chair and make you listen to it, simply because you are denying yourself a great education, from the teachers that are Tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prying open my third Eye., 12 July 2006
David Gordon (Cork) - See all my reviews
I first heard the title track on the radio when I was a teenager. It was instantly attractive. Brutally heavy, melodic, hooky and weird. I didn't know if I was allowed like it! When I eventually tracked it down and bought it I played the title track and nothing else on repeat for a whole month. It did take a while to get into the rest of album, Aenima, Stinkfist were the first songs I fully absorbed but really every song is amazing. It takes you places. And there's no going back. If you've never listened to Tool - get this album. It will inspire you if you give it time. Years after first obsessing about it - it's still my favourite album of all time and something I return to every now and again when I need to be absolutely up-lifted and overwhelmed by the beauty, the intensity and the mystery that Tool creates.

5.0 out of 5 stars i've never heard anything better, 15 July 2001
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
i don't claim to have a huge musical knowledge, i certainly don't have a lot of songs in my head to compare aenima with. however, i can give my honest opinion that i think this is definately THE best album i have ever heard. the whole mood throughout carries you with it, with the deep guitar riffs and melodic voice of maynard. at first i didnt find it that easy to listen to, as i think you need to recognise parts of each song so that you can fully appreciate the overall blend. and the way it blends is very VERY good.
also, sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense but i can't really describe it well, it just rocks :)
ps. if u have trouble getting into it listen to the title track a couple of times, it'll get you hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 25 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
First word that pops into my head when I think of this album - wow. Although I have known who Tool are for a while, I actually got into A Perfect Circle before Maynard's original creation. And I must say Tool have the same ability to affect me emotionally, if not more so, then A Perfect Circle. Whilst A Perfect Circle in my opinion is melodic and feminine, Tool is masculine, harder, darker, more mysterious and at times industrial. I think think Maynard's balance between the two bands is something to admire.
I won't repeat what other people have said but i'll say what I liked most about the album. I did like every single song but there are some which stand out to me more than others. "Stinkfist" as someone said is quite accesible as a rock song and so I liked this one straight away, as it is a classic. Other great songs include "Eulogy", "H" and "Aenima" - easily some of the best music I have ever heard. Then there is the mighty "Third Eye" which could only be described as a masterpiece of emotional music, or as someone else called it some sort of metal/poetry hybrid which manages to fascinate effortlessly. The music on this album is much more than the average band which comes out of the states. It is full of meaning, and you learn more about each song each time you listen to it. Each song is full of meaning, emotion and plot (apart from a couple i.e. Die Eier Von Satan, lol if you've seen the translation), and appears full of heart.
Most music these days will find it hard to impress me let alone "touch" me, but Tool has, and so has A Perfect Circle. Two amazing bands, one amazing man - well done to Maynard James Keenan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust me, you need this CD in your collection, 23 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
That is, presuming you have the patience to listen to a song longer than three and a half minutes and isn't about breaking stuff.
Anyway, how can I possibly dislike a band that loves Bill Hicks as much as I do? The final track on this CD is a sort of homage to him. As well as the sample at the beginning of the song, the lyrics are based on one of Bill's sketches. Check Bill out - he told the truth and made it hysterically funny - another dead hero, as Tool put it on the inside cover of Aenima.
If you haven't heard Tool before, think of Nine Inch Nails hard edged crunch and emotional vocals crossed with System Of A Down's incisive wit and individuality and throw in a handful of Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin prog rock brought smack up to date. That doesn't go anywhere near explaining Tool, but it's a start.
I'd have to say the real stars of Aenima are the first two tracks, but there are many other gems on the album. The opener, Stinkfist is one of the best songs I have ever heard - twisted as the lyrics are! Then Eulogy is blissfully psychedelic and the subject matter is sarcastic and cutting. Then there's the searingly emotional H and the wonderful Forty Six and Two. By that time I'm usually so blissfully entwined in the music I start to drift off into that place only really good music can take you to!
Some people slam or plaudit Tool's music for being intricate (it isn't, but every note is in the right place). But I would say it is the space within the music that makes them so totally hypnotic.

5.0 out of 5 stars What? ....You Mean You Don't Own This Already?, 21 May 2006
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
Bottom line?...YOU NEED THIS ALBUM, You want this album and you don't even know it yet. Let me let you in on a little secret, Tool are the best Rock/Metal/Whatever band in the world, in any setting, full stop.

I first heard this album after seeing the video to Ænema, yes it's 'Music Television in being helpful Shocker'! I saw that video and had to hear more. This album changed my life, seriously, not in a cheesy 'This album saved my life' sort of way, but in the fact that when I first bought this album it didn't leave my CD player for 3 months. I mean that is exaggerating a bit, I listened to other stuff, but this album didn't leave the vicinity of my CD player for three months. I would listen to this album at least 4 times a day, to the point of being obsessive, like a freak. It changed the way I perceived music.

The thing is, it doesn't even sound like normal music, it sounds alive, organic even. At first I didn't understand how four people could make that sound, well...if I'm honest, I still don't understand how they make that sound. This is the kind of album you absorb, it sort of sinks in without you realizing it, and all of a sudden you find yourself singing along (even if you have no idea what he's singing about most of the time!).

The best thing is, the more you listen, the more you get, (this is also true of the lyrics, when you read them you start to understand the staggering scope of it all). Turn it up, you'll hear something new! Listening to this album on headphones is like listening to the world end...In a good way! Ten years on I'm still constantly surprised by it! This is the best album in my entire catalogue of CD's, and although I know that means nothing to you, just take into account that, like the inlay would suggest, the late Bill Hicks (R.I.P.) was a fan, and that man knew what he was talking about!

So really what I'm waffling on about, (and quite possibly making a scene of myself, ranting like some deranged child), is that anyone with even a passing interest in music should own this album. It doesn't even matter what type of music you're in to, this album has something for you. Tool's other albums, '10,000 Days', 'Lateralus','Undertow' and the first E.P. 'Opiate' are all classic albums, and make up a near flawless collection of music, and I would recommend any of them, but above all, START HERE. BUY ÆNIMA. DONT LOOK BACK. IMPROVE YOUR EXISTENCE. LEARN TO SWIM.

Oh... and also the imported American cover is all special and holographic, insignificantly I know, but I'm just pointing it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dense obtuse prog-metal without grunting demon vocals, 13 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
What can I say, this album is a monster. This might take a bit more effort than most music to appreciate but it repays your time ten-fold.

The obvious highlights are the title track, Hooker With A Penis and Eulogy. The first one has the singer wanting LA to be destroyed by natural disasters, and has a great opening were he lists all the things LA people fret about. Also the phrase "Learn to swim" has never been loaded with so much venom.

Hooker With A Penis has him lashing out at people who say they've sold out, and he admits that they sold out years before we'd ever heard about them.

Eulogy starts with bursts scratchy electronic noise over delicate drumming. When the song explodes about a minute in, the singer starts accusing someone famous with a big mouth of being a hypocrite when it comes time to practice what they preach.

The only thing that mars this 77 minute album is that there are six pieces of filler. Strangely these aren't weak songs, but mostly short sound experiments. I've no idea why they didn't just keep these in the vaults as they break up the flow of the album (which might be the point?). On my MP3 version I've removed all of them to create a particularly brutal 66 minute album.

The follow up album Lateralus doesn't have any songs to rival the three mentioned above, but it has more to offer as an album, and it doesn't have ANY filler.

EDIT 13/5/10: It's taken me about five years to work it out but the albums is pronounced Enema. That's kind of disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely the best album/band in the world ever, 28 July 2001
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
Tool are, without question, the best band ever to walk the earth and this is, in my opinion, their best album. I have all their albums and would urge anyone who truly appreciates music and art to buy them all. Every one is absolutely excellent both musically and lyrically. BUY IT NOW AND THEN BUY UNDERTOW AND OPIATE. You owe it to yourself. Music doesn't get any better than this. If you are a drummer and haven't already listened to Tool, sort it out! Danny Carey is God (or a superhuman alien being masquerading as a man!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond compare - just absorb, 27 Nov. 2011
AJB123 (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
From time to time, one listens to something for the first time, and thinks 'wow'. Not quite so with Aenima. My son bought this for me a month or so ago (he had previously given me Lateralus, which is an extremely clever, complex and impressive album): I listened to Aenima one evening, but found it a bit too much. So, on to the shelf for five weeks (my son was a little surprised/disappointed!) before I could summon the will to try again ......... which I did last week, and I am so glad that I did. That first return left me numb; I had to sit quietly and let what I had just heard sink in. (I suspect the last thing to do that to me was Dark Side of the Moon on first hearing in the late 70s.) Incredible! Each subsequent play has reinforced the strength of Aenima.

It's pointless going into the merits of each element of each track, given the overall dark brilliance of Aenima. Is it the knitting of the drums beneath and around everything, or the bass riff, or the challenging/bleak vocal, or that heavy, dripping guitar? It is each of these, and all of these. Others have commented more fully on various elements of this work - read them, but I urge you to find your own way through this incredibly powerful piece of art. Don't compare - just absorb, and enjoy this for what it is. But if you feel the urge to compare, perhaps Turner's 'Rain, Steam and Speed'.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Aenima
Aenima by Tool (Audio CD - 1996)