Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£6.92+ £1.26 shipping

Another and decent "best of" but obviously missing many great tracks as it has only 16, you need 2 or 3 CD's to cover all their great tracks, sadly there is no definitive "best of" that I know of, but others worth looking at are:
*Somewhere Back In Time: The Best Of: 1980-1989:
*From Fear to Eternity: The Best of 1990-2010:
*Ed Hunter:
*Edward The Great - Greatest Hits:
*Best Of The Beast [Limited Edition] YES CONFUSING, same title as the CD under review, EVEN THE SAME COVER PHOTO, but 2 CD's and rarer, so expensive, see ASIN: B000024NDC, again no track listing but it maybe the same as ASIN: B000006JQ5 which is on amazon.com site.
*Greatest Hits 2 Cd SET currently listed on amazon.com see B003LNAXQY, I have also found it on ebay, from Russia, like China, a well known supplier of non legit goods. I also found a few more suspicious double CD's there too.

Track Listing for CD in this review
1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. Fear Of The Dark (Live)
4. Run To The Hills
13. Wasted Years
14. The Calirvoyant
15. The Trooper
16. Hallowed By Thy Name
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2001
Right then, this was my preconceptions of Iron Maiden before I heard this CD. Mullets, leather, ridiculous riffs, screaming and all the other stereotypical "old skool" rock images.
Well they've been well and truely blown away! Here is a CD that manages to combine ball clenching vocals, gut wrenching riffs and lyrics that are thoughtful as they are direct.
It may not be for everyone, but if your taste in music is better than average buy this!
on 13 January 2000
A few years ago, I decided that my CD collection wasn't as broad as I'd like it to be so I headed out to buy some albums from different genres. I hadn't heard any Maiden before but I picked up Best of the Beast to have something in the metal genre. Since hearing this CD I have bought every other Iron Maiden album, joined the fan club and am looking for an opportunity to get to a concert sometime soon.
If you want to get into Iron Maiden or are just mildly interested in hearing them, BUY THIS ALBUM. It'll change your life ;-)
on 27 May 2011
This album is an absolute MUST HAVE for any maiden fan, even the ones that have every other Iron Maiden album. This album contains a mix of Live and Studio recordings all of which you can get from purchasing the other albums except one song.

If you're still undecided then maybe the 'Virus' single that only appears on this album will help you decide. This is a Blaze Bailey recording that appears only on this album and is definetly worth a listen.

Those who are wondering how to get into Iron Maiden and are wondering which album to buy first, look no further. This 2 disc album has songs from their first album (The self titled 'Iron Maiden') right to the last Blaze album ('The X Factor') and aside from the Live/ Studio mixture, contains a lot of the mainstream songs ('The Trooper', 'Run to the Hills' and 'Hallowed Be Thy Name') and a few of the not so often heard 'album fillers' (If the term can be used for a Maiden track) such as 'Where Eagles Dare', 'Sanctuary' and 'Sign of the Cross'.

Overall, wether your looking to get into Maiden or if you are and just feel you already have all of their albums, this is a must have. Ok so their is only one 'new' song on the album but if your like me and don't have an iPod player in your car, at least then you'll have a CD to play for those long car journeys.
on 5 March 2003
Ok, I'll admit it. I used to HATE Iron Maiden. But I heard a cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name on the best of Cradle Of Filth album, and I loved the song. So, I thought I would invest in this Best Of The Beast. I am SO glad I did. The guitar work is breathtaking, and the songs amazing. If you love metal, but think that Maiden are too soft, or whatever, put aside your doubts and embrace one of the very best metal bands of all time. Before you know it you will have a HUGE collection of Maiden albums. Outstanding.
on 18 May 2013
Only having heard a handful of Maiden tracks, the big well known ones, I was after a start point to get into them. This is the perfect start point, as much of the band's high points were "before my time" as someone in their early 30s, so have not bought the albums as they have been released as I'm sure many older fans who grew up with them have.

I take particular issue with the reviewer who gave this compilation one star because "Why buy a compilation when you can have the whole discography?", why would you shell out £100+ for all albums if you are unsure of whether you are going to like the band's output. I feel he is missing the point of a "best of" compilation somewhat, not everyone is a diehard fan!

I would have given this 5-stars, but I have a real bugbear with best ofs putting in live versions of tracks instead of the studio versions. Luckily, this is only the case for a couple of tracks.

N.B. This is a review of the 1CD version, for some reason reviews have been merged with the 2CD version.
on 27 March 2013
Until I bought this I had no Iron Maiden in my collection. Am I sad or what? I Can now understand why this band has a huge following. I'm probably talking a load of rubbish but they didn't sound dissimilar to a superb band by the name of Rainbow. Nonetheless Iron Maiden have acquired a new fan and I shall definitely be purchasing more of their material from now on. This album has really whet my appetite.
on 19 November 2000
Having been purely into Punk Rock for a seemingly endless ammount of time, I expanded my horizons with Black Sabbath, Metallica and with this album - Iron Maiden. Needless to say, they are amazing! Their music is exhilerating and melodic whilst their lyrics and choice of subject matter are quite frankly amazing. Undoubtedly (for me) the best track here is 'The number of the beast', and is probably my favourite song ever. Forget image, forget style - Iron Maiden are truly the best band ever, simply for their music (and sense of humour ;)). After 20 years, this music remains ageless - unlike all the 'mainstream' bands out there. If you like Punk, Metal or Heavy rock, I gurantee you'll love this album. Buy it now!
on 20 June 2003
Well, now it would seem this is an earlier version of "Edward The Great" what do i think of it, well in my opnion it is really good but, not as good as it could have been. It does have some brilliant songs, no question about it but, after buying a got myself a cop of the special edition and it has 27 tracks instead of 16 so you could do better with that, but there we go, if not why not buy "Edward The Great"
on 14 July 2010
This is a fantastic compilation of the best and most well known Maiden songs. This is the two CD limited edition which has almost double the number of songs as the standard edition. Maiden are one of the best live bands of all time (often besting the original album versions) and this is reflected in a selection of live tracks on this compilation. It is a must have for any Iron Maiden fan.
Graham.