4.0 out of 5 stars Great to listen to
My Mum owned a cassette of this in the late 70's, so I thought I'd give it a try.
It's a really great cd. If you're into Cole Porter / Irvine Berlin type classics, and you fancy something a bit different to listen to - Give it a go. You can't listen to Ella all the time, can you?!
Published on 13 May 2003 by sstjohn00

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too samey
I bought this cd on a whim as I remember seeing Skellern perform on TV when I was a kid, and found his music moving, tender and emotional.
And indeed, the mixture of high-pitched voice, 20's-style arrangements and Northern Brass Band is certainly unique, but when repeated on track after track it all gets a bit too much.
This is not an album which is easy to...
Published on 27 Jan. 2004 by Mr. A. C. Gilbert

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to listen to, 13 May 2003
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
There's an eclectic mix of songs, from classics to a couple of Skellern's own compositions.
I'd heard the cd all the way through at least 15 times, when I suddenly realised track 4 was amazingly good. In one evening I played it over & over around 10 times. Skellern wrote it himself and it's perfectly derivitive of 1930's/40's songs, which is exactly how it should be.
Very very good listening

4.0 out of 5 stars Distinctive, subtle, quintessentially English, 11 Feb. 2006
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
The 'Easy Listening' genre is often a pretty embarrassing one, and many would think Peter Skellern would do nothing to change that perception. But with most of this collection they'd be wrong.
Certainly this is music you could play at a vicar's tea party, but there's a beauty and simplicity to it that transcends the genre.
Skellern's light-voiced delivery is quite unique and very musical. The angelic choir backing him up sounds a little 'Disney' at times, but when paired with a brass band, it's charming.
There are several songs from his 'Astaire' album, and they're great choices. Lovely melodies, tinkling piano etc.
I'm so glad there a several Skellern originals here too. Impressively, they stand comparison with the classics. 'Put Out the Flame' is good enough to seem like a classic in its own right.
Okay, it's all a bit twee, but in the best possible way. If you're fed up with this vicious modern world, make yourself a cup of earl grey and pop this in the CD player. It will cheer you up.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too samey, 27 Jan. 2004
Mr. A. C. Gilbert "thegilb" (Chatel sur Rolle, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
This is not an album which is easy to listen to all the way through!
Nevertheless, all the classic hits are here (except, inexplicably, my favourite of his - "You're a Lady, I'm a Man") and, with dextrous use of the "skip" button, the album represents excellent value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite, but near enough, 28 Feb. 2009
Jamie Wrench (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
I was looking for a copy of Peter Skellern's 'Astaire' but in its absence got this album instead. It has many of the Astaire tracks and some neat arrangements using his trademark colliery band backings. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, but you can tap in to a bit of memory lane with this, and it's standing the test of time, with some fine songs well performed. Worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time heroes, 26 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
This man has stopped Touring an making fine records.
This album, although a combination of old material is a fine example of the great songs he wrote along with old crooners that were not written by by him.
If you love Crooners AND Brass Bands this is a great album. Track 7 has "Where do we go from here?" my next fav to "Youre a Lady" will sure stir your Soul and this is one Artist that makes me cry when i listen to his music(In a nice way)
This man is so very badly missed. Music for the Soul indeed!!
Buy ALL his albums he is a great Singer/Songwriter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-issue the originals!, 10 Mar. 2008
KJ Furbank - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
This collection selects from three original albums - Astaire, Skellern and Still Magic - released by the Lancashire larynx between 1978 and 1980. If you love Skellern you'll find some of the greatest love songs of the 20th century, performed in his inimitable bitter-sweet style, plus some interesting originals such as Too Much I'm In Love and Over Her. How better it would be to re-issue the originals and hear these songs in their proper context.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Relaxing and Calming CD by a TRUE GENIUS!, 25 May 2012
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
What can I say about the FANTASTIC Peter Skellern. I saw this Cd by accident one day while I was searching for another CD.

It's the BEST DISCOVERY I have made. I cannot stop Playing this FAB! CD. I know every song now Word for Word as I Play it so much. Too Much in Love, Love Is,Sweet Words,Skylark,Put Out The Flame and my FAVOURITE (which ALWAYS brings me to tears)is The Way You Look tonight.

Each Song has a SPECIAL Tune for me and when I am Stressed and Anxious I put Peter's CD on and I am RELAXED and CALM.

I can't RAVE about this CD enough. It's BEAUTIFUL. Anyone who ADORES Easy Listening,Classic and Smooth Songs Will LOVE this Peter Skellern CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the sentimental heart, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
Listening to this wonderful CD made me realise how all but forgotten Peter Skellern has become - and that's a shame as this compilation shows what a talent he has for singing beautiful songs and well as being a fine songwriter in his own right. True quality will always last the test of time and these songs still have the power to move the heart of any sentimental listener whose has lived, loved and lost and/or is still in love...

5.0 out of 5 stars 'They Can't Take That Away From Me', 15 Mar. 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
One of my late mother's favourite tracks was Peter Skellern's 'Still Magic'. Normally a rock/pop/blues fan, I wanted a reasonably costing CD that would have that track on it and as wide a variety of his other material too.

Still Magic still brings raised hair on the back of my neck and I love most of the other period classics, recorded with fresh sounding electric pianos and small, personable brass sections. It is this freshness and top recording quality that makes for an infrequent but very pleasurable, quiet listening experience for me.

I close my eyes and drift off and the chinking of champagne glasses and white Rolls Royces picture on the sounds in my mind, becoming an almost guilty pleasure. So, if you enjoyed the likes of "Jeeves & Wooster", then indulge in some romantic nostalgia and relax to this great CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sentimentally Yours (Audio CD)
I wanted the cd Astaire by Peter Skellern but this was too expensive. Sentimentally Yours has a lot of the same tracks on it and I'm very pleased with it. My friends loved it too, so I have ordered a further two copies for them.

Sentimentally Yours
Sentimentally Yours by Peter Skellern (Audio CD - 1996)