Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 April 2008
Much of this is in fact derived from work done for soundtracks. This is clearly stated, including the title of the CD, which is split as Chiaro and Scuro with soundtracks from other visual works. The final track of 12 minutes with voice is also a soundtrack. On first listening, of course this is not comparable in structure to other work listed as comparable such as Twelve Moons or In Praise of Dreams, both significantly superiour, but as background music it is ambient and usually unobtrusive except for occasional blasts in Survivor, so severe in dynamic surge as to suggest a fault in post-production. Innocuous, pleasant, anodyne, late evening background music to conversation, perusal of photographs, autumnal journeys.
on 17 June 2004
Not being a fan of free form improvised jazz, I arrived at this album via 'Officium', which I found, in small doses, brilliant. This does not disappoint! 'Red Wind', 'The Healing Smoke' and 'The Quest' in particular are exceptional, they lift the spirits. If, like me, you enjoy making your own MP3 compilations, then take these three tracks add in a couple of songs from the aforementioned 'Officium' and the later 'Mnemosyne', then buy his 'Rites' album, from that take 'Rites', Pan', 'We Are the Stars' and 'Last Rite'. Finally take 'Tongue Of Secrets' from the earlier 'Legend Of The Seven Dreams' album, make your own playing order and, trust me, you have the (almost) perfect ambient chill experience. Whether you investigate other albums by Garbarek is down to your taste in music, but 'Visible World' and the other albums mentioned here are superb.
on 15 June 2011
Another gem from JG. While the tracks may seem a little mis-matched, the tunes are a further exploration of the sonic ideas in Runes/Twelve Moons. Although without a re-curring motif; which frees the listening ear to a new melodic journey.

I held off from buying this dics due to the mixed reviews. Having now heard the disc some reviews seem a little overly principled. This disc holds it's own in the JG catalgoue.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2003
A highly accessible offering from the Norwegian sax icon. Full of stark, lonely but often lovely sounds. Garbarek continues to plough his own furrow. His folky/jazz small group settings rely mainly on his varied horns and percussion. Best listened to I am sure in some desolate snowscape. Clap on your headphones close your eyes and drift into the landscapes of your mind.
on 7 June 2014
I remember walking into Ray's Jazz (when he had his own shop) and buying this for the cover. I must have been inspired, I'm on my second copy and I can't even say that about Jarrett or Svensson...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 November 2011
The first 30 seconds of this sold it for me: 'Red Wind' opens with a richly insistent rhythm and melody line laid down by Katche and Mazur's crisp percussion, and the warmth of Weber's caressing bass, deepened by Bruninghaus' keyboard word, followed by the introduction of Garbarek's lyrical, searching sax. A superb opener.

Thereafter, I found that some tracks didn't maintain such a high standard: I found the 'Desolate Mountains' trilogy unsatisfactory, with Garbarek's clarinet work irritating, and lacking development. Having said that, the bulk of the tracks here are well up to strength, with 'Pygmy Lullaby' a particular standout. The rhythm section throughout lend a tightness and crispness to the tracks, which appear to convey a greater urgency to much of Garbarek's playing, with the notable exception already mentioned. A good, accessible album.
on 9 November 2013
Typical esoteric horn led jazz from Garbarek with Scandinavian folk influences in places. Accessible mystical cool jazz with high standards of musicianship throughout.
on 19 May 2014
All was very efficient and the product was in excellent condition. Recommend product to those who enjoy other-world music. Relaxing and inspiring.
on 26 July 2000
This album will make any sax fan weep at the sheer delicate nature that weaves through this masterpease. Sit back take a sip of something smooth and drift away.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2006
Despite what other reviewers have written I found this album far too orthodox. This was my first experience of Garbarek - I was led here from Nils Petter Molvaer - and I was expecting ambient, minimalism; and admittedly this album does deliver ambient minimalism in places, but there is far too much dinner music interspersed to make this an enjoyable album.
A few of the more minimalist tracks are fantastic ('Desolate Mountains I' in particular), but there's just not enough of these kind of tracks; and even when one does come along the moment is ruined by the next track more often than not creating a massive juxtaposition. I am not opposed to juxtapositions if they work, but they don't work here.
The worst track for my money is 'Survivor', which sounds like something off a panpipe moods album, but played on the sax.
The flashes of brilliance mean that I am still tempted to try another Garbarek record, but I won't be forking out too much of my hard-earned for it.