Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£318.80+ £1.26 shipping

on 5 August 2000
For the few(?) of us who happily enjoy both traditional Irish/Scottish/Asturian dance music and modern drum'n'bass, this album is something of a watershed. "Synthesised" diddley-eye is not a new phenomenon but I cannot recall anyone who has pushed both sides of the coin so far on the same recording. Purists may not appreciate the slight variations on old Irish and Scottish tunes but this album is "progressive" in the best possible sense of the word.
on 6 January 2009
I heard Swallowtail years and years ago on the radio and knew it was by Martyn Bennett, but couldn't get hold of it. Eventually a couple of years back I finally got hold of this album with it on and I'm so glad that I did.

The whole album is basically traditional Scottish music that has been "funked up" in places - makes for a very interesting mix. Swallowtail is still my favourite track, but the others on the album are great too.
Literally a one-man band, Bennett uses multiple tracks to create an exciting, rythmic music which is both traditional yet his own.
Anyone who hasn't yet discovered how vibrant and innovative modern Scottish music is should try this one. If you've already succombed to Wet,Wet,Wet and Texas, wander a bit further into the Celtic fringe. Great stuff. Swinging bagpipes, would you believe.
John McNeil