5.0 out of 5 stars A work of Pop-Art
Published on 22 Jan 2004 by drummer901

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff.
Yes, so McAlmont can sing and pen his personal emotions and experience in lyrics. But it is Butlers influence that really makes this album worth listening to.He is clearly an extraordinary and committed musician whereas McAlmont somehow comes across as a petulant wannabe, demanding attention and assuming some kind of higher ground than his audience. Butler could have...
Published on 19 Jan 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of Pop-Art, 22 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
I re-discovered this glorious piece of music recently whilst thumbling through tapes when stuck in traffic. How glad I was to be stuck in traffic because this is a complete gem... a lot of people who do know of McAlmont and Butler will know of them because of the massive hit, 'Yes', but thats the first track and only the start of something very special indeed. Bursting with highlight tracks and standout moments, 'Whats the excuse this time?' and 'The Debitor' are both splendidly imaginative groovers, while 'Dissapointment', with its soul-funk feel gradually builds into respectable pop-anthem status. The highlight for me has to be the simply wonderful 'How About You?' which has a soaring summer melody capable of breaking many a heart, but the whole consistancy and mood of the album is a credit to 2 fantastic artists in their own right in a fascinating collaboration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Pop moment, 25 Feb 2001
James Cotton (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
David McAlmont's vocals and former Suede guitarist Bernard Butler combine beautifully to make this album a special pop moment - on songs like 'Yes' and 'You Do', the pair make the best music of either of their careers. Personal differences led to their split very soon after this album, making this a once-off opportunity. If you've never heard it, get hold of it - its really not to be missed. Magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 90's album - the only one I still listen too, 6 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
99% of my cassettes are in a big box in the cupboard, only a few of them have lasted from the time I bought my CD player. One of them is the first Portishead album and the other is this masterpiece.
Starting on a high with 'yes' the album continues for an hour with some of the best music you will ever hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Guitarist of the '90s & Best Vocalist, 8 July 2008
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
Again, as always, I owned this on tape in the '90s and binned it. Bought it the other day and it's still stunning. I was mortified when they initially fell out, but glad they patched things up, although I never did hear the follow-up record.

Make no mistake, there are a few absolutely astonishing tracks on this CD that are worth it's purchase alone; Yes, You Do, Although, etc.

It's a work of beauty and will be on my ipod and hifi for years to come. I still can't get my head around McAlmont's vocal range and Butler's playing. Plus the '60s slightly Spector-ish production. Oh it's a dream.

Buy it & treasure it, especially at that price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure class, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
I loved McAlmont & Butler first time round & they haven't lost their appeal. David McAlmont has a fantastic voice & I never tire of listening to him. "Yes" sounds as good now as it did in 1995.

5.0 out of 5 stars McAlmont & Butler, 28 May 2012
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for just one song - Yes! Pleased to find a couple of other songs which have definitely grown on me. Brilliant as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of my favourite albums, 3 April 2012
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
I bought this CD back in 1997 after hearing the fantastic "Yes". Even now, 15 years later, the entire album is still a constant delight and never away from my stereo for more than a couple of months. Singing along to the incredibly emotional lyrics and trying to match McAlmont's swooping vocals have brought me some very strange looks in many a traffic jam, but it is such an incredible collection of music that just I can't help myself. There's not a bad track on the album (although obviously I have my favourites among them) and the mood switches from despair to exhilaration and everything in between without jarring the ear. It takes you on a bitter-sweet emotional journey and gives a quick flash of what legendary musical pairing this could have been. Undoubtably one of the most overlooked albums of the 90s. I secretly judge people's musical taste by whether or not they have heard of McAlmont & Butler.

5.0 out of 5 stars a treaure has come to the surface once more, 15 Jan 2009
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
It is so good to read so many rave reviews of this great and unexpectedly neglected masterpiece from the end of the last century. It is a true test of an album to pluck it out again after so long ~ why have I not played it again in so long?? and discover it like it was the first time. David McAlmont's voice is such a rare and beautiful thing and is so for real as I saw him at a tiny venue in Brighton singing his wonderful heart out ably accompanied by the magnificent Mr Butler.
I think it must be a time for a reissue or at the very least a re- evaluation of what made the nineties not really so bad after all

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 5 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
Swooping vocals and incandescant guitars send me to heaven every time with this album. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars chameleons of music, 20 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD)
I've always been a fan of this duo, Butler's jangly guitars, that kept the indie edge to their music yet had a hint of the Philly 60's sound. McAlmont's soaring, often beseeching vocals accompanied the tune marvellously. My favourite songs on this album have to be the wonderful 'Falling', reminds me of the Phil Spector girl groups and have that innocence in the lyrics of a bygone age. I also would reccommend the haunting ballad type songs such as 'Blue', 'Where do you go?'. If you want an album to chiil out in the garden on a gorgeous summer's day - get this one!

The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler
The Sound Of ... McAlmont & Butler by McAlmont & Butler (Audio CD - 1995)