Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 September 2003
The Memory of Trees opens with what has to be one of enya's most impressive instrumentals so far, a great piece that almost makes you feel like you are floating away on clouds of crimson, and then its into the vivacious hit single 'Anywhere Is' which is one of those songs that is so catchy you wonder why it hasn't been written before! ( I can still remember what I was doing when I first heard it on the radio, it made that much of an impression on me!) It has to be up there with 'Orinoco Flow' as being on of Enya's greatest!
Another type song that I really like and Enya does so well is 'Pax Doeorum', it has a slightly darker feeling - Latin chant to it, which gives some great contrast to the album. Other favourites include 'China Roses', and the more simple yet perfectly performed 'Hope Has a Place' & 'Once You Had Gold' In which the clarity & beauty of enya's vocals really shine through.
The overall feel of this album is of being more lavish, than Enya's previous ones, with even more lush multi-layered ethereal vocals and keyboards than before, and although it doesn't quite have the same emotional feel as her Watermark or Shepherd Moons albums, it certainly has a more uplifting edge to it.
At the end of the day a perfect album to escape to, relax, uplift and inspire you!
on 8 May 2000
'Anywhere Is' is the star song of this album. While I consider 'The Memory of Trees' to be her best album, they are all very good in terms of transporting your mind to distant places you may never travel to in your lifetime. In the end, although I must be 'On My Way Home', a journey with Enya is always worth repeating.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2010
'The Memory of Trees' has become my second favourite Enya album after 'Watermark'. 'The Memory of Trees' proved to me that Enya is still a force to be reckoned with. The single that was lifted from this wonderful album, 'Anywhere Is' is a catchy tune and moves along nicely then makes way to the almost hymnal 'Pax Deorum' which opens with sounds of rainfall. Enya's voices and musicality on this track on almost pitch perfect. For someone who does all the vocals and plays all the instruments herself, she makes a truly exquisite sound.

The rest of the album is nearly flawless and the tracks flow together really nicely. Finishing off with the wonderful closing track 'On My Way Home' this album is testament to her genius and skill as a multi-instrumentalist and singer who sings both lead and backing vocals. Truly stunning and wonderful album.
on 21 February 2006
- Being of irish origin i guess i am biased however, this is an amazing album. Enya's music is both sensual and dramtic - the track "Pax Deorum" sung in latin is so powerful yet calming and never ceases to hit me in a way that no poetry or art or any other music has ever done before!!
- on the other hand tracks such as "Athair Ar Neamh" are so peaceful and tranquil.
- all of the songs are beautifully composed and stick quite strongly to the traditional gealic origins which are made to soar through Enya's haunting yet warming vocals.
- i find that there is a deepness to enya's music that enables anyone to become drawn in and find it very personal - i find her music both Audible and physical there is a body to the music that i have found missing in other celtic music!
there is a real variety to this album and highly recommend it. also "Watermark" is a very good and traditional 'enya-styled' album as i find "A Day Without Rain" lost some of it's intimacy!
anyway really hope this helps
Kind regards
Vicky (18)
on 17 January 2004
Enya is one of the most relaxing artists around today. For non-taxing music do listen to these marvellous tracks particularly late at night. You will not be dissapointed.
Firstly, I admit to being an ardent Enya fan. Still, some music touches your heart in ways nothing else can. This CD contains just such music. This music is atmospheric and uplifting. Enya has a voice like fine crystal, pure and beyond compare. The most beautiful track on this CD is Athair Ar Nearmh - it has crystal clear beauty of such quality that you can only imagine the angels of heaven being capable of achieving it - you just need to close your eyes and feel the beauty of it. I am in complete awe ...
on 5 January 2004
[One CD, with a running time of 44 minutes.] Ah...this wonderful CD shows off Enya's silky smooth voice. The eleven tunes are hauntingly beautiful. I won't try to categorize her music, it is simply too rich and complex.
The paperwork includes the words to ten of the songs (The Memory of Trees is a musical number), and two nice color pictures of Enya. (I love extras!) So, if you like Enya's past hits, then I think that you will like this one as well. Buy it!
on 11 March 2011
I bought this CD for my husband, who is always playing Enya CD's in his car. He was delighted with it and plays it all the time. A good buy.
on 2 June 2015
If you are a fan of Enya, then i'd say The Memory Of Trees has to be part of your collection. It's by no means my favourite- but overall, it can leave you feeling quite relaxed- with some beautifully performed tracks. For me, the opening track 'The Memory Of Trees' is my favourite song- this deserves fives stars; for as soon as i heard it, it captured my attention. Some Enya songs have a magical sound that is hard ton describe-but you know when you hear it. This is followed by the up tempo Anywhere Is, probably my second favourite- and with great lyrics. The third track has a darker edge to it Pax Deorum- burt so far so good. After this many of the songs, for me are not bad, and definately relaxing to listen to; although by track ten- be warned , don't nod off, just at the start! I love the lyrics to Hope Has A Place (track 7). To round off the album draws to a conclusion with ending well with On My Way Home. I'm glad I have this album- although I do play other ones more.
on 28 November 2000
Everything about this album - the music, the production, the quality is fantastic. It is my favourite of all of Enya's albums, and may even be the best of my entire collection. Haunting and beautiful - every last track. I just got A Day Without Rain (Nov 2000) - it is worth a listen but The Memory of Trees will spend umpteen times longer in my CD player.