5.0 out of 5 stars The "Wheel" of Quality, 22 Oct 2002
tad baranski (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twisted Wheel Story (Audio CD)
First of all this CD. The music is brilliant and it is way too cheap! I can buy this after working for half an hour now, in the late 60's it was a week's wages to get one of these 45's, if you could! So buy it now, I will lend you the money!
I was there, still got the membership card, and what's worse I remember them all! So, I am biased but I guess we all are.
Hard to comment on the tracks as most are excellent and will be known by nearly all prospective buyers, even though they are a wide range of styles, not all foot stompers for the boys. I distinctly remember asking the DJ (who was always trapped behind a designer solitary confinement cell!) what he had played (we took notes and then tried to buy them) almost every time a new one was played.
These come from the era when Manchester was "cool" for the first time. It was NOT Northern Soul at the time; it was soul music for dancing at clubs to. The selection here seem to reflect the music during 1968 and 1969, the first two years that the Wheel" was in Whitworth Street. The tracks here are characterised by not being the typical earlier "mod" often Motown numbers that were the norm to dance too (Marvelettes, Velvelettes, Martha, Gladys, early Marvin, Monitors, Contours, Isley Brothers etc.) but faster dance tracks from typically rather less commercially viable artists. It also, interestingly, included music not just from black Americans (who were all so cool we all wanted to be black!) but also from white artists (Mitch Ryder, Travis Wammack etc.)
Tracks that typify the "Wheel" at that time include: Willie Mitchell: "That Driving Beat", Bob Brady & the Con Chords: "Everybody's going to the Love In", Dynatones: "The Fife Piper" and my two favourites: Roscoe Robinson: "That's enough" and Darrel Banks (what a voice!) with "Open the door to your heart". But I guess I am being picky, the point of this is that it is a classic mix of music from the time and the venue, so it works as a whole as well as in parts.
What we need now is "The Wheel Diet", you trying dancing to these tracks for half an hour! The pounds (sorry I suppose it is kilograms now!) will pour off! Great stuff not just nostalgia. Without these there would not have been the "Casino" and the "Torch". A privilege to have been there at the time. Buy it, close the curtains, start dancing and have FUN!

5.0 out of 5 stars GSCD 66, 17 April 2012
manchester man (lancashire england.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twisted Wheel Story (Audio CD)
Good Time Tonight - Soul Sisters / Shotgun And The Duck - Jackie Lee / The Fife Piper - The Dynatones / You Get Your Kicks - Mitch Ryder / Everybody's Going To A Love In - Bob Brady & The Conchords / Karate Boogaloo - Jerry O / Gonna Fix You Good - Little Anthony & The Imperials / A 'Lil' Lovin' Sometimes - Alexander Patton / Ain't No Soul (Left In These Old Shoes) - Ronnie Milsap / Humphrey Stomp - Earl Harrison / That Driving Beat - Willie Mitchell / There's Nothing Else To Say - Incredibles / Get Out Of My Heart - Moses & Joshua Dillard / Dr Love - Bobby Sheen / Love Is After Me - Charlie Rich / Little Queenie - Bill Blacks Combo / Secret Agents - Olympics / Tightrope - Inez & Charlie Foxx / I Got What It Takes - Brooks & Jerry / That's Enough - Roscoe Robinson / Never Love A Robin - Barbara & Brenda / My Elusive Dreams - Moses & Joshua Dillard / The Next In Line - Hoagy Lands / Open The Door To Your Heart - Darrell Banks / It Keeps Rainin' - Fats Domino / Any Day Now - Chuck Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Boogaloo, 26 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Twisted Wheel Story (Audio CD)
I guess its a case of "you can only remember it if you weren't there!" . This takes the listener back to the days before the term Northern Soul (Dave Godin RIP) was first mooted. Back then it was black American music that complemented the whole 60's scene. The other essential elements being clothes (Ben Sherman striped shirts and mohair suits)and in my case in particular Lambretta scooters (GT225). No one particular record is going to completely encapsulate the individuals' personal experience but this comes close. All the early stuff on here and a steal at this price. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!, 3 Mar 2014
I was a frequent visitor to the Wheel in the late '60s - early '70s

I have a number of NS compilations but was after a specific track - Fife Piper by the Dynatones - and this set has it - there are a small number of "repeats" but that is unavoidable when one is trawling compilations for wanted tracks

Twisted Wheel Story
Twisted Wheel Story by Various (Audio CD - 1995)