5.0 out of 5 stars Live Dates. The definitive 70s live album.
Published on 13 Dec 2004 by flyingveepixie

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, dreadful mix
This amazing live album surely has to be up there with Strangers In The Night, Live And Gangerous, Kiss Alive etc. Musicically, it doesnt put a foot wrong,The King Will Come, Warrior, Throw Down The Sword and in the Jimmy Reed song Baby What Do You Want Me To Do, the guitars seem to sing. Phoenix is stunning (I can hear where Steve Harris from Iron Maiden got some of his...
Published on 2 Jun 2006 by maz

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Dates. The definitive 70s live album., 13 Dec 2004
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
I first bought Live Dates on vinyl aged 13 in 1973, and as a budding young guitarist the album had a huge influence on my musical development over the next 5-6 years. I bought it again recently on CD and on listening to it felt strongly inspired to pick up my Flying V and jam along once again as I used to in the old days. Where many live albums are something of a disappointment, this one is not; it stands head and shoulders above the rest and ranks easily alongside 'Live and Dangerous' and 'All The Worlds A Stage' as being one of the best live albums ever recorded. Buy it.....you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dates, 4 Dec 2007
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
In a decade when several great live double albums were released, Wishbone Ash were one of the first to mine its potential. This album pretty much wraps up the best of their original classic line-up. Sometimes, when you hear a studio album, you wonder whether the artist could recreate it to a comparable standard on stage. WA proved here not only that they could, but that they could give that music an extra edge in the live arena. The twin guitars sound as telepathic and as sweet as ever and the band as a whole just blazes.

Starting the album with three climactic tracks from the band's legendary 'Argus' was a clever move. It draws you straight in. A blues cover featuring some great slide, reminds you of their roots and serves as an interlude before some more big-hitters. 'Pilgrim' is so tight, it's mesmeric, while 'Blowin' Free' is probably the most obvious candidate for live status WA have ever recorded. They end with the beginning, the epic, revered 'Phoenix' from their first album, but every track on here is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, 25 April 2004
Mrs. Carole M. Westwood "alwestwood" (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
I bought all of Ash's first four albums on vinyl in the seventies, andthis is the only one I've still got. Live Dates (1973) is Ash at theirbest and is absolutely essential material for the Ash connoisseur, indeedI believe it should be in the collection of every rock and blues listener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great live masterpiece!, 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
It took me 40 years of my life to meet Wisbone Ash, when 4 years ago I've bought a double CD from a local market containing old Hendrix stuff in one CD and the "Mother of pearl" live CD in the other. It was very well spent one quid!

But it took me four more years to put my hands to a vinyl copy of this album, got it from a charity shop for five quid. The vinyl was a bit old and scratched, but sounded good enough.
The Ash live are really great and this album probably captures some of their best performances: just plain rock and no fancy special effects, apart from the twin guitars. Their sound is surprisingly rich considering they have just 2 guitars doing the melodic parts.

After listening to this album a few times i was very disappointed because I've sadly found out that I've lived 44 years without having a chance to listen to a masterpiece like "Phoenix". What a wasted life!

Of course "Phoenix" is the top of the album for me, but "The king will come", "Warrior", "Lady Whiskey" to mention my favourites are also great songs.
This is a great album for anybody, especially those who want to have an idea of the music played by this band.
After a few months I've decided to buy a CD copy as well so I can listen to it in the car or in the iPod.

I've recently seen them live twice and they are one of the best bands to see live: don't expect anything fancy from them but great music for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant lyrics and scores., 11 Sep 2000
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
This cd is a superb collection of all the best of Wishbone Ash's numbers. The lead guitaring is great in all the numbers espacially Blowin Free. A fantastic band at their time.......wish they had not disappeared into oblivion. I have watched them live on two occasions in Bombay, it was a beautiful experience. Definitely recommend this album for any inspiring young musician.

4.0 out of 5 stars a real live one..., 19 May 2006
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
i have always been rather wary of live albums for obvious reasons: poor sound quality, audience intrusion/singalong, over-indulgent solos etc., and i have very few in my collection, but "live dates" is one of the best live albums you will find, in my opinion almost up there with "made in japan", "live at leeds" and "yessongs". the sound quality is spacious, clear and full, the playing is faultless, this mca double lp contains some brilliant solos and has tracks taken from each of their first four albums. the album was recorded during dates at croydon, newcastle, reading and portsmouth during june 1973 on the rolling stones mobile (..now who else used that?? ). side one disc one kicks straight into "the king will come", "warrior" and "throw down the sword" from "argus". on side two i wish they'd included "errors..." and "handy" instead of "rock'n'roll widow" and "ballad of the beacon", but actually these sound better on this live album than the studio versions, so there you go i suppose. this side ends with the blues song "baby what you want me to do" which includes great blues/slide guitar solos. disc two starts with tight versions of "the pilgrim", boogie- style "blowin' free" and "jailbait" (really cookin' now) and side four has great versions of "lady whiskey" and a beautiful 17 minute long version of "phoenix" from the first lp, other than that track no long improvisations, just excellent renditions of some their best songs. excellent addition!

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 29 Jun 2002
Eric Hall (Pionsat, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
I grew up on Wishbone Ash - Andy from school playing nothing but their first album and "Argus" every time I went round to see him (but really to chat up his beautiful younger sister Robina!) Needless to say by the time this LP came out (1974?) I was a dedicated fan so I was one of the first to buy it. AND I WAS AMAZED (as Frankie Howerd would say).
If the studio albums had been good, this was 100 times better! There was a feel and a depth to the music that could never ever be reproduced in any studio and somhow the harmonies of the guitars of Andy Powell and Ted Turner stand up of the floor (to know what I mean, listen through a set of good headphones and you'll soon understand!). No studio album was ever like this.
So why not 5 stars? Well, dunno why they've picked "Pilgrim" and that awful Everly Brothers song when there's so much other good stuff to choose from. Why no "Errors of My Ways"? Why no "Handy"? But technically you can't fault the music and you can't fault the performance.
So, how good is this album? Well, I've been a van driver, truck driver, taxi driver, coach driver, and diplomatic chauffeur for the last 27 years, and of probably over 2000 LPs, tapes and CDs in my collection, this is the only one that's never been off the playlist in all that time.
So draw your own conclusions.

5.0 out of 5 stars reference, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
Same as another reviewer: I've got this in vinyl, and this is a masterpiece. Anyone who loves guitar work of high caliber, and two in harmony at that, must own this beautiful album. Don't waste time reading more reviews: BUY THIS NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it ever was!, 20 Jun 2014
Super stuff!

Re-living the heady days of my vinyl youth - I remember buying the original double 'LP' in a long-gone record shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A shot in the arm, 6 Feb 2014
Earl Grey (W Sussex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live Dates (Audio CD)
Somehow Wishbone Ash passed me by back in the day. However, I went to see them last autumn and was mightily impressed. They are a great band and terrific live. This album captures the feel of their concerts and is a good blend of their more prog rock sounding songs with rockier, bluesier songs.

Live Dates
Live Dates by Wishbone Ash (Audio CD - 1995)