5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting & beguiling
Published on 14 Oct 2010 by Sentinel

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but that's all.
Published on 16 Dec 2003 by Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting & beguiling, 14 Oct 2010
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Sea (Audio CD)
This is a magnificently atmospheric album, shot through with haunting melodies, impeccably played by a quartet in peak form. Bjornstad's piano, romantic and wistful, but not self-indulgent, introduces simple melody lines, or serves to establish a plaintive and insistent refrain. This is deepened/expanded/darkened by Darling's rich and expressive cello, while Christiansen's percussion remains a masterpiece of restraint and variety. Rypdal then takes these initial themes, and develops them with his yearning guitar lines, exploring darker avenues, and yielding up haunting secrets. I can't really see how this can be portrayed as Jazz, even 'chamber jazz', so those with an aversion to jazz needn't worry; really it's simply some top-class modern chamber music, impeccably played gorgeously sumptuous melodies, with a wistful and haunting undertone, by an outstanding quartet. Superb production as ever from ECM. A deeply moving classic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my 2 favorite albums coming out of ECM Records, 16 Oct 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sea (Audio CD)
Bjornstad Darling Rypdal Christensen's 1994 recording The Sea is one of my favorite 2 albums coming out of ECM Records. It is one of my very favorite ambient jazz albums and as a matter of fact, one of my favorite albums, period. It is great music flowing through a very ambient background reminding at times of Gavin Bryars - Sinking Of Titanic. All instrumental parts are superb starting with Ketil Bjornstad's piano, through Terje Rypdal's guitars, David Darling's cello and ending with Jon Christensen's drums. My favorite parts are 2,3 and 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting a little more, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Sea (Audio CD)
But if you like Terje Rypdal, you will enjoy this album as well. It is, however, a little monotonous though...

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but that's all., 16 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Sea (Audio CD)
I have enjoyed other work by Bjornstad and Darling, such as The River and Epigraphs immensely (both of which I recommend), so I was tempted by this one with them playing as part of a band with guitar and drums, but I'm sorry to say it didn't do much for me, and I've given it several listens. Some you win...... and some you put in the CD rack for 6 months until you come across it by accident, rather than looking for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars new life in an old soul, 21 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Sea (Audio CD)
....and I thought Hassell was content to repeat his previous efforts ad-infinitum! This shows how an artist can cause ypu to sit up whatever his age. A dramatic swerve to new form, one of the best albums of 2009 ever, I will play this for the rest of my life and yet still not know it completely. This, then, is Hassell's own 'Bitches Brew', life without it will appear ludicrous. Thank you ECM for packaging it beautifully and keeping your CDs reassuringly expensive, I am too poor to buy music cheaply.

The Sea
The Sea by Ketil Bjørnstad (Audio CD - 2008)