5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time and be rewarded
This is a masterpiece. For so long, it was the only Tori album that I couldn't connect with. In fact, I never used to get more than half way with it. But one day, it just clicked with me, and now it's one of my favourite albums ever. It has touches of genius throughout, and although it may not be everyone's cup of tea, I fail to see how you couldn't love the beautiful...
Published on 17 April 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars No! Do NOT get this version!
"Extra Tracks" is not true - it's actually REPLACEMENT track. And it's the worst possible replacement. Some marketing fool thought that the remix version of Professional Widow should be added after this was a dance hit. It's totally at odds with the rest of the album. Worse still, they removed In the Springtime of His Voodoo to fit the PW remix on.
This is a...
Published on 18 April 2003 by T. Mobbs

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest albums of all time!, 25 Nov 2003
Firstly this import version of the CD... dosent feature the dreaded remixes, and you are given the full songs the way they where meant to be listened. This is the version to get.
Secondly this is a great place for people wanting to get into the world of Tori (this and of course her Debut little earthquakes)
For me this is her greatest album. It showcases everything that is Tori! The way Tori plays her piano's; every note is played in an intense way that really gets more under your skin with every listen. Her vioce goes from screams to whishpers to just running away with the tunes the only way she knows how; with her accent their to remind you this is one female songwriter who is a unique talent.
The opening song horses is absloutley great and seems to sing you like a lullaby into a musical journey of gothic... strange wonderfull... mad.... genious... love. Mariane is a classic tori ballad and before you know it strings soar through the song... dare I say it taking on even Mrs. Kate Bush. Powerfull ballads like Hey Jupiter, Putting the Damage on, Dougnut song... stand out like mini anthems to how Tori is feeling. The crazey Mr. Zebra is unforgettable from the first listen. Caught a light sneeze, talu; they sound like tori just invented her own form of pop/rock. Religion is of course up for some beating in muhamed my friend, along with some racist issues in Little Amsterdam. Not the Red baron, puts chills down your spine. In Father lucifer we here Tori scream "you think i'm a queer" like a witch suddenly out of no where. Proffesional widow goes from shocking to a riot of Tori pop and then back to shocking. To the gentle ending to the album which is Twinkle;
you feel like you have been pulled through a mixture of dreams and nightmares. If you like your music wierd, emotional, original, give this record a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
This album is of Tori`s best, and i can say it will please you very well. Buy it, you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Tori album; a black magic, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
I call this album a black magic, it's a 18 song long trip to a dark castle that is full with unfortunate relationships, vulnerable girls, regret, loss and still can't understanding what are you here for. The first time around I didn't understand what she was talking about since these must be her most ultra-personal lyrics but you get in to the stories and they are so mystical. There are still songs that feels like the previous albums but this one experiments a lot of instruments as it's her "harpsichord album". I so far listened to her first four albums and maybe Little Earthquakes will stay as her best Boys for Pele stands as my favorite and I think it's her most creative on so far and as tracks my favorites are so much: Blood Roses, Caught a Lite Sneeze, Muhammad My Friend, Hey Jupiter (indescribable!!!), Doughnut Song, Putting the Damage On. 10/10. Perfectly selected and sorted collection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting this album is always rewarding, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
I hadn't listened to this album for 15 years, however I found myself revisiting it whilst I was going through a really difficult time recently. I would say this is her `angry' album. The melodies are melancholy yet defiant... her music always echoes emotions, so while I find myself listening to `Professional Widow' (The original version, NOT the terrible remix)for the raw power of the lyrics and the emotion she puts into her performance, I also like the melancholy of `Hey Jupiter' and the deep profundity of the intro to `Not The Red Baron'. In fact, I think she puts some of the best piano arrangements together in this album. Whilst I like her use of the harpsichord, I've since heard live versions of `Caught a Lite Sneeze' (another favourite) with a piano accompaniment, which actually sound better.

I have to make a confession. I actually went off Tori in the late `90s, when she entered her `electronica' period. However, I have been catching up over the last couple of years with everything she has produced since. Having sampled all her works, I have to say that `Boys for Pele' is probably my favourite album. On the flip side it is quirky, self indulgent artistically, and impenetrable in a lot of places. I don't know the personal circumstances she went through whilst penning the album, and producing it, but by tone it is one of her darkest, however in my experience this echoes and heals the emotions of the listener in a way that only music which is meaningful can.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mysterious, dark chest of wonders, a sublime phantasmagoria., 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
BOYS FOR PELE is my all-time favourite Tori Amos album. A mysterious, dark chest of wonders, a sublime phantasmagoria, all I can say is buy it, listen to the songs and let them speak for themselves - and let them speak to you. I love this album, my favourite by any artist. It spoke to the lonely 16 year old who first bought it, and it still holds a special place in my heart fourteen years later. Very highly recommended. 11/10

5.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic mix of rock, country, funk, soul and indie., 4 Feb 2000
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
Tori steals the show with this excellent comeback

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 4 Dec 1999
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
This album has been misunderstood by people, but only people who aren't ready for it. Maybe it is a little weird and completely surreal, but it's *amazing*, original music. Buy if you're ready to take a trip inside yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark boys, heavy days, glorius talent, 30 May 2005
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
Tori Amos got her some horses to ride on in the first track, and from there on it is one amazing trip through this whirpool of lost love, dark contemplation and scratching on surfaces.
BOYS FOR PELE ( Pele being the Hawaiian volcano goddess and Tori's alter ego on this album ) is a new, but sensual and enigmatic journey in her music. Released in 1996 this album alienated many fans. Gone are the 'girl and her piano' sound of Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink.
It spawned singles like "Caught a lite sneeze" and "Hey Jupiter", but the pace, I believe, is being set by songs like the organ/harpischord driven "Blood Roses" - a tragic account of a failed relationship...."I've shaved every place you've been boy.....Sometimes you're nothing but meat". Also "Talula" and one of my favourites, the short but sharp "Way Down".
All in all a wonderful album. I see it as a grand and swift transition from UNDER THE PINK to FROM THE CHOIRGIRL HOTEL.
One big complaint and warning : Do not buy this version. It contains the disastrous "Professional Widow" remix. Redundant and totally out of tune with the rest of the album. And they've cut the great "In the Springtime of his Voodoo" to make space for this 8 min track.
New fans should steer clear, but once you start to "get" Tori it is one hell of an honest, dark and splendid ride.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album but for only one song, 14 Nov 1999
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
I bought this album for the Professional Widow track and because I enjoyed her previous album Little Earthquakes therefore hoping this would be as good. This album certainly didn't measure up and the Professional Widow track though really funky and fun, is the only track that I really enjoyed. The rest of the album is an eclectic mix from Amos, very bizarre and even surreal at times. However, she is a great pianist with a sultry voice demonstrated in Hey Jupiter. Overall, I prefer her previous album, less weird in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, scary and soooo beautifully deep., 30 May 2006
Helena Dore "52hmd" (Everywhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys for Pele (Audio CD)
This is a very original and mind-blowing album. i have given my view on each album track as it is such a good album - everyone should own it!!!!

1. Horses - Includes a wierd intro but the song is very good. simple, just her and piano - makes you think album will be just like her earlier ones, but they're not! 8/10

2. Blood Roses - Graphic lyrics. Tori gobbles like a chicken at

the end, harpsichord is good and is very dramatic. 10/10

3. Father Lucifer - I never really got into this one. A bit too bouncy. Still enjoyable at times though. 6/10

4. Professional Widow - Dramatic, harpsichordy and amazing! Her voice us screechy in this but beautiful. 10/10

5. Professional Widow (Dance Version) - This is awful. 1/10

6. Mr. Zebra - Short but quirky. A joy to listen to! 10/10

7. Marianne - I like the chat show-esque bit. Good song, not great. 8/10

8. Caught a Light Sneeze - Catchy and vocals are good. It was a single. 9/10

9. Muhammad My Friend - Very religious background to song- catchy and sort of good. 9/10

10. Hey Jupiter - I used to think it was slow and boring, now i see how great it really is. Piano ballad with heart, very dramatic. 9/10

11. Way Down - Different, slow but i love the choir vocals. 10/10

17. Putting the damage on - Very good 7/10

18. Twinkle - Okay not great 6/10

ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Boys for Pele
Boys for Pele by Tori Amos (Audio CD - 1997)