Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 March 2001
In the wake of the stupid decision to substitute the early UK albums with the US cut-and-paste jobs, this is probably the best (certainly least frustrating) way to listen to the early Stones on CD. The first two discs supersede the formerly definitive _Through the Past Darkly_ and _High Tide and Green Grass_ with comprehenive singles coverage; however, the third becomes dubious, too many redundancies with _Sticky Fingers_ and _Beggars Banquet_ (worth buying on their own), and unnecessarily drawing on the never-essential _Metamorphisis_. Drop "In Another Land"/"The Lantern," move "Honky Tonk Women" and "Memo from Turner" over to disc two, and this could have been a five-star two-CD set.
on 20 February 2002
This CD commands 5 stars. Its got everything you'd want from a stones record. Having got all their albums, this was a purchase i made to get some of the great tracks on a few cds. This does it well..
Paint it black, street fighting man, jumpin jack flash, satisfaction, shes a rainbow etc etc, they are all splendid songs. This is definitely worth the money, its a great collection of the singles and the price is very reasonable. Thumbs up all the way for *THE* greatest English Band of them all!!
on 10 November 2000
For those seeking a cross section of the Stones' best early period work this album is of limited value, missing - as it does - key tracks from their first albums. For those seeking a compilation of early period "Greatest Hits" it's a fairly expensive luxury. So... why 4 stars?

Easy... if you were living in London when "Come On" was released, if you went to your local record store and played it and it's marvellous "B" side - "I Want To Be Loved" - on your mono, low-fi record player over and over again, if you went back to the store and bought single after single as they were released and put both sides through the same repeat play process, if you still have them in your attic in a lovingly scratched, wholly unplayable state or if you've lost them over the years... then this is all you could ask for.

"B" sides were important then and, with a group like the Rolling Stones you played them, sometimes as much as the "A" sides. Disc One contains all the "B" side classics: "I Want To Be Loved", "Stoned", "Little By Little", "Good Times, Bad Times", "Off The Hook", "Play With Fire" etc. And, while the "B" sides on CD Two and Three are more patchy and less relevant, the A sides on these two CD's are a pretty comprehensive "Greatest Hits" collection in their own right.

So, if you were there and you want to be there again, then CD One is an indispensable memory bank: play it straight through and you can almost hear the 45's dropping down from the multidisk arm. And if you weren't, well this is what it was like!
on 15 January 2002
If you like the more 'bluesy' period of the Stones' career then this collection is for you - especially some of the early B-sides. Musically I would suggest they are much more talented than the Beatles. 58 timeless Stones classics!
on 27 March 2009
Generally very good, has a few tracks that I have not heard before, and some early Stones songs missing that I thought might have been included but well worth the purchase.
Josie Bird
on 8 December 2012
Everything one could wish for in a CD, The Rolling Stones are giving their best but lets face it, they can do no less.
All the gratest hits and some that I have never heard before on a total of three CD's, Incredible value for money and a must have for every fan of this incredible band.
Thank you Mick and the boys!
on 28 October 2015
This was a good buy for me. I never bought any Stones' material back in the day, as I never regarded myself as a Stones fan. I didn't dislike them, but I was a Beatles fan back then, and had limited funds. I have since bought a couple of Stones CDs, but frankly, for me this is the best way to fill out my collection. I like most of the tracks on this set, which is not something I could really say about the original albums. For real fans, this is probably not a necessary purchase, as everything is available elsewhere, but those of you who just want some flavour of the Rolling Stones incredible career, this is it.
on 16 April 2016
This collection is not cheap, unlike many old records, which is a testament to the continuing popularity of the Rolling Stones. These 3 CDs contain a huge number of songs, up to 1971 according to the blurb. The sound quality is excellent. This is a wonderful collection. The songs are heavily blues based, with a strong African American influence, and with some covers of blues standards such as Little Red Rooster.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 October 2015
This is one of those album packs we had at my radio station. For years, certain songs would be played on our request slots, but I never got to hear the rest of the tracklist. I love the Stones! Decided I had to have the set and bought it. Brilliant listening; fantastic collection. Lots of bluesy stuff that I'm very impressed with, plus many of the well-known records, too.

Can't fault this collection.
on 18 May 2013
The music contained on this collection is bona fide classic from beginning to end and so rightfully commands a five star rating. BUT.... why Amazon price this out at £31.99 only they know - especially when it can be gotten for a mere £8.99 from the Stones' own Universal Records portal.

Maybe Amazon are saving up to pay their inevitable and very hefty U.K. tax bill.