Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 February 2001
sad yet stangely uplifting.. this was the soundtrack of (my) summer of '96, with beautiful melodies and lyrics you just wanna know off by heart. and you will, just like i did - cos you'll listen to it over and over and you'll love every minute of it (just like i did, and still do). it plays like a story, it's to be consumed as an entirity, a journey with a beginning, middle and end.
on 22 June 2015
Never understand the negative reviews for this album in the press and elsewhere, to me it's a classic rock album and was a big part of my youth. Released a year after the death of Kurt cobain it reflected alternative rocks decline (in the mainstream) and the on coming macho nu metal scene. The opener misery is soul asylum at there best reflecting the fake angst being promoted by rock music, it sells. Soul asylum are a band, in that each member is important to the sound, particularly the guitarist Daniel murphy , they can mix the heavy with the soft , to my own devices and promises broken are classic self observation songs and the playlist works with one of there best string of pearls, just like anyone captures loneliness and the closing I did my best is a universal song in which we can all relate. I know a little glossy, but give it a chance and listen to one of the best 90's bands. Lucky to have been a witness
on 4 January 2010
Loathed as I am to be over critical of any artists work this is the finest example I have yet to witness of the ridiculously positive, even sycophantical aspect to some of the album reviews that sometimes appear on Amazon. I revisited this CD today and played it for what turned out to be the very last time from start to finish to see if I had been unfair to so swiftly dismiss it when it when first purchased in 1995.
Unlike the previous reviewer I could not get on with the contents. I found the work mundane, painful to listen to; cringeworthy in places.
Bearing in mind our time on this planet is limited I can think of a million better CD's to spend my time listening to than this.
We all have our guilty pleasures and although I fully respect the affinity any other reviewer using Amazon may have to this or any other album I felt compelled to offer some perspective to the gob-smacking 5* review published.
And in case you feel I am being a little unfair just take a look at how many used copies there are for sale for next to nothing; if you want to sample this album you will only need to meet the cost of the postage plus a few pence. 5 stars it most certainly ain't.