4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated
Elastica's debut album is one of the most underrated albums of the Britpop era. They were written off because Justine was dating Damon, so everybody saw them as nothing but a bunch of cash in chancers.
Published on 1 May 2004 by Andy Hudson

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
2 or 3 great tracks the rest are pretty boring
Published 10 months ago by Rob Sheff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 1 May 2004
Andy Hudson (Stevenage, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
From the opening track, Line Up to the brilliant final song Stutter, this album simply roars past you at real speed. 15 Songs in 38 minutes, and they manaqe to go from all out pop rock like Waking Uo and Blue, to beautifully written atmospheric tracks like Never Here and Hold Me Now.
Its sad that Justine is still seen as "Blur Indoors" by many, but this debut album is simply too good to ignore. The lyrics range from flirtatious humour like in Car Song, to the lonliness of Never Here. The songs are catchy pop/rock tracks, but unlike most Britpop it doesn't sound like yesterdays news.
Its a shame Elastica never really followed this album up, but there is enough to enjoy on this debut album to allow us to forgive them for that. Nine years on and this is still a real favourite of mine, and if you can ignore all the media snipings at Justine for having a famous boyfriend at the time the album was released then you will be listening to a seriously underrated and quite brilliant album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still My Fave, 24 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
I would give this album 10 stars if i could. It's hard to express how many times i have listened to it since i bought it when i was 12 i think, now im 21 and this album still kicks ass. Almost 10 years old and however dated the whole new wave of new wave debate was, this band, and this album can never sound dated.
Punky-fast and fun(vaseline, blue) but still raw and beautiful (smile/hold me now)my fave song on this album is stutter, as i never listened to it as it was the last sonmg on the slbum until i was 15, i was soooo angry that i had missed years of loving the best song on the album.
It sounds like nothing and everything, blondie and wire are obvious comparisons, but the humour is fantastic (car song/waking up) and heartbreak is traumatic (never here/2:1).
The only thing i regret is that there is no more elastica.
But this album and remember that britpop was a media created farce, the decent bands shone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheers me up every time..., 13 Jun. 2010
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
I like this record! I know everyone goes on about how Justine only got signed because she was dating Damon... but I have no way of assessing the truth of that, so instead - here's a thought - let's just listen to the record and see whether it's any good! That said - it's not as good as I remember it being first time around. I got it again in a fit of nostalgia and I think it will probably stay something I listen to now and then...
For me there are some weak songs on here but there are also some really good tracks ( I really like 'S.O.F.T' and 'Stutter') - and some really funny lyrics - I still love the 'in every little Honda, there may lurk a Peter Fonda' line - tee hee! As an album - it's not on my Desert Island list but it's definitely one I'd listen to again if I got rescued.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums ever, 5 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
This is very good indeed. "Never here" is one of the best songs I ever heard. At the first the I heard it, I kept listening to it for 45 minutes straight. And even now if I hear it, I'm hardly ever able to hear it just once. I just have to hit repeat. There are many classic songs on this albums, like "Stutter" and "Waking up". Short and powerful songs. Yes this is definitely one of the best albums I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
I've never been a great fan of punk (I've never bought into the whole "let's put no more effort into our playing and songwriting than if we were just picking our nose), but I suppose Elastica is the exception that proves the rule. Their astounding self-titled debut is remarkable in its brevity, and in the sheer number of sheerly brilliant hooks they manage to work into its 38 minute run time. The whole affair has a decidedly Stranglers-esque feel to it - at times it verges on the uncomfortably plagiaristic (compare Justine's delivery on the otherwise excellent 'Connection' with virtually any Stranglers song from the 70s) - but the cocked-eyebrow sense of humour, the deceptively simple layers of guitars and synthesizers and above all, the supremely catchy melodies are all elements that the band subtly graft onto a decidedly nineties aesthetic. And yet, even in its more bawdy moments, it always feels heartfelt and sincere (something the Sex Pistols never managed), at once chaotic and angular, but with a profound pop sensibility. It's a great shame this album never got the follow-up deserved, but for a brief moment in 1995 they sat next to the likes of Pulp and Blur as one of the cleverest and catchiest rock acts in Britain. A classic album of the 90's.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Definitive album of its time, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
The album that changed it all, short snappy, infectious songs that made you sit up and go wow !!!. We had been listening to all those brit pop bands I wont bother running through, when all of a sudden in 1996 along come " Elastica" like a breath of fresh air.I mean I listen to varied musical forms, "from Hendrix to the sex pistols" " Joe Bonamassa to Johnny Cash" yet theres something about this band that grabs you too,with 15 songs from under 40 mins playing time ,theres a lot of short ones here I would like to have held on to a bit longer,but I guess this was how it was ment to be which made it different to listen to. " Line up, Annie, Conection, Vaseline, and waking up to name a few,there were some I didn't go a bundle on but all in all a definitive album of the nineties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why this album is kate worthy, 17 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
Elastica,a briefly hyped "New Wave of New Wave," and that actually gives you a pretty fair idea what you're in for with this solid if not exactly groundbreaking debut effort.A rare treat dubbed one of the greatest albums of the 20th century,with a facsinating mix of electronic and contrived electric and dare i say it indie the self titled album hits the spot.Lead singer Justine Frichman is a micture between debbie harry,chrissie hynde and Siouxsie Sioux she brings a certain stage credibility to the monotonous brit-pop at the time.
I was only 2 when the album was released but its a classic kind of a latter year london calling or hatful of hollow.Short spiky energetic songs make this debut a gem,It's the perfect driving album also so i daresay
buy elastica's self titled masterpiece you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Britpop at its best, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
Unlike triphop, Britpop seemed to pass from fashion to fad in the blink of an eye. While Pulp and Blur kept perhaps their best albums until after the cliché had calcified, Elastica's eponymous debut represented the strongest release that Britpop had to offer. More akin to the spirit of punk, 'Elastica' strains at the edges with tight, two minute tracks, its sixteen songs galloping to a conclusion in a little under forty minutes. And as it careers along, the influence of the Clash, the Slits, even early Chumbawamba (Jimi Hendix and Thin Lizzy) ooze out of every chord. A brilliant beginning, but sadly Britpop's best and brightest burned out far sooner than they ought. Still, it's one classic album more than most bands ever achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elastica, 9 Mar. 2014
T. Pocock "headonist" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
Bought this for just two must have tracks 1 & 2 . ended up loving the whole album.
Sounds fresh and full of attitude every time I play it.
Nothing over blown or over produced. Pure youthful energy with understated musical talent.
A great album to put on while your getting ready for Friday night !
Must be played at a dis-respectable volume.
Most likely an all time Classic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 29 Nov. 2013
M. Burville - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elastica (Audio CD)
Well, being a 60's person I've owned a large number of great albums but this is one of the best and I listen to it very, very often. It's the musical equivalent of the Himalayas, a series of high points with a some extremely high. Waking Up and Stutter are superb. I never tire of this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Elastica
Elastica by Elastica (Audio CD - 2001)