5.0 out of 5 stars The anthem of my teenage years

3.0 out of 5 stars One INCREDIBLE song and a lot of fillers
Published on 16 April 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The anthem of my teenage years, 16 Feb 2005
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
Ten years on from the first time I heard this album I can still slap it on and be taken straight back to my teenage years. I got my guitar at the same time as the album and spent hours trying to master the riffs and melodies that for me make this album a winner. The lyrics are cheeky and Ms Wener's voice suits the tracks to the ground. Every track tells a different story and helps to sum up the sound and feeling of the time that was britpop. Purchase and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I guess you had to be there, 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
God this takes me back! I still remember the day I purchased this CD. I met a friend on the bus on my way home from work who was telling me about some of the lyrics on it. I so desperately wanted to get home and play it (I was 17 and living with my parents at the time) but he dragged me down the pub and 6 very happy hours later I finaly got home and put this in the CD player......

Its one of the soundtracks to my most cherished stages of my life. I can't listen to this CD without being reminded of warm summer nights, the smell of lager and cigarettes, and generally living in a country that was happy and everyone was nice to one another! Stephen Bustler if you're reading this - thanks for a great evening - and I'm sorry I smoked all your ciggies!

I don't blame you all if you give this an unhelpful rating, as I've not actually reviewed any of the tracks on the CD, but I guess you just had to be there that night to appreciate what it means to me. P.S. I love you Louise Wener!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a perfect slice of britpop pie, 15 Jun 2004
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
a perfect slice of 1990's britpop,a stunning debut,much,much stronger than the follow up, THE IT GIRL

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost classic, 28 Mar 2009
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
I revisited this album recently (think I bought it on the day of release back in my student days) and was reminded of what a blistering debut it is. Sleeper weren't taken that seriously in their day but fourteen years on and you can listen to this from start to finish over and over. The only downside is the artwork which I always disliked !

4.0 out of 5 stars Britpop classic, 16 July 2013
F. D. Burns "POB" (Barrow-in-Furness, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
Was never big on Sleeper in the 90's. Gave them a go recently and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut. Punky and in your face!, 20 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
Sleeper WERE synomynous with brilliant, spikey guitars, forthright vocals, provided by Ms Louise Wener, with lyrics full of witty observation and controversy - 'Swallow' and 'Delicious'. Best songs - 'Inbetweener','Vegas' 'Poor flying man','Delicious' and 'Pyrotechnician'. Terrific!

4.0 out of 5 stars Laying the Groundwork for "The IT Girl.", 8 Aug 2009
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
Although the great band 'Sleeper' would reach its peak with its second album, and tragically, break up after releasing its third, 'Smart' is still a very good album; bursting with that wonderful 'Indie/Britpop' sound of the early to mid 1990's.

Of course, it is definitely 'Easy Listening' in the kindest sense of that term. The whole album washes over you like a pleasant but ephemeral mist. And five minutes after listening to each track, even I cannot remember most of the lyrics or the tunes.

(Teresa used to joke that I could memorise any song [with English lyrics] after hearing it only three times.)

But although it lacks the catchy tune of 'What Do I Do Now,' the impact of 'Lie Detector,' the empty heartache of 'Shrinkwrapped' or the soul of 'Statuesque,' ("The IT Girl,") this album is still definitely worth a listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars One INCREDIBLE song and a lot of fillers, 16 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)
'Inbetweener' is in my opinion one of the best songs of the 1990s, possibly even the best song. It's awesome, pure pop laden with hooks and with lyrics Morrissey would have been proud of. Buy the album just to listen that track and you will get far, far more than your money's worth. However, the other tracks are very basic, and sound like the product of a much more immature band. It's a shame Sleeper couldn't stick around for a little longer, as I would have loved to have seen if 'Inbetweener' was a sign of greatness to come or just a flash in the pan. On the basis of this album, as a whole, I have to conclude the latter. But I would have really enjoyed to have been proved wrong.

Smart
Smart by Sleeper (Audio CD - 1997)