Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 August 2001
Ella Fitzgerald was most definitely a diva in her time and in my account still is today. This cd epitomises everything she represented. This album is exactly as it says, 'Essential' Ella. It contains classics such as Lets fall in love and Mac the knife. I'd recommend it to everyone, especially Frank Sinatra fans such as myself. It's not only a classic collection of her greatest songs but a marvelous representation of her what she stood for... Jazz and a whole lotta soul! Enjoy!
on 15 June 2003
What can anyone say about Ella that has not already been said. The richness and sheer quality of voice that she possesed make her stand out head and shoulders among the rest. I remember hearing Peggy Lee say that Ella sets the standard that we all try to reach. That's saying something coming from one of the best.
All the recordings on this CD are from Ella in her prime. The songbook series that she recorded has to be one of the most important in the history of popular music. Here we listen to some of the best songs ever written, arranged by the best arrangers, and backed by the best musicians. What more can you want?
Buy it, curl up on the sofa, and be transported to another world.
on 8 March 2013
All the great American songwriters of the last century - Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Rodgers and Hart, both Gershwins etc......we're eager for Ella Fitzgerald to record their material such was the affection and respect her voice and her commitment to her craft produced. Not everyone felt the same degree of warmth towards her though. The ever charming Billie Holliday - a contemporary - described her as a "bitch" despite Fitzgerald's oft stared admiration. What was her problem? God knows. Fortunately Holliday was in the minority and there is a huge catalogue to explore should you be minded to do so.
This is a straight forward collection of famous songs including compositions from the composers named above. There is little to surprise existing admirer's and nothing too challenging for the curious.
Listen to, "Every Time We Say Goodbye". Hear the loss and the mourning in Fitzgerald's voice and interpretation to be convinced that there are some people who have truly been touched by the divine.
As always this sublime voice is like poured, warm caramel or a soft southerly summer breeze playing over the skin.
Buy this and listen to one of the great voices ever recorded.
You won't be disappointed.
on 26 August 2015
Since this arrived I have played it almost to the exclusion of everything. I am no expert on Ella or music in general but think this must have great appeal. I even try singing along, when no one else is around.
on 16 October 2012
This is a great selection of tracks by the wonderful Ella Fitzgerald for a fantastic price would highly recommend it.Be warned it will lead to a good deal of singing along!
on 30 October 2011
What a voice. What a recording. What value for money. A wonderful recording for those who wish to become
associated with this Jazz Diva. A delight to the ears.
on 20 December 2014
Every music lover should have this in their collection. Absolute classic songs, sung to perfection. I have played this endlessly and I am really a rock fan.
on 23 October 2014
Great CD and a lovely way to spend an evening with beautiful music, beautiful songs and a magnificent voice. Highly recommend this CD
on 10 April 2013
Its Ella Fitzgerald. Do I really need to say anything else? It was a little scratched on arrival but still played perfectly well.
on 1 December 2013
I only realized how many Ella Fitxgerald songs I knew when I listened to this CD. This and Forever Ella are the two must haves!