4.0 out of 5 stars Criminally underrated second album from..., 23 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Gabrielle (Audio CD)
Gabrielle... The powerful opening of 'Forget About The World' sets the scene for a very good album. The South-London pop/soul singer's second album has a completely different focus to both its predecessor, Find Your Way, and the follow-up, Rise, which are both far more pop-orientated.
On her self-titled album, Gabrielle has the most mature sound of the three albums and on most tracks it pays off - 'Give Me A Little More Time' and 'If You Really Cared' both sound like they come from the 60s and this is no criticism... after the brilliant ballads of 'People May Come' and 'I Live In Hope', they are a welcome move back in time.
We then are transported back to the modern day with 'There She Goes' and 'Have You Ever Wondered', two of the catchiest pop songs I have ever heard. All these songs have a distinctly acoustic sound to them until we hear 'If I Could' and 'Miracle' - much more reminciscent of the sound of the other two albums and a welcome variation. Each of these songs is strong, catchy, yet not repetitive.
However, there are songs that have not been mentioned: 'Baby I've Changed' and 'Our Love Is Over' are dull and relatively tuneless - and on 'Alone', Gabrielle strives for maturity just too much and the simplicity of the bass/guitar/voice structure does not fit the style of the album.
These are minor glitches. The album is generally good and minus those three tracks it is VERY good. If you have either 'Find Your Way' or 'Rise' and have enjoyed them, this might not be exactly what you expect, but if you want the voice, with slightly 'older' influences on it, this album will be perfect for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to listen on a go, 26 Jan 2011
Mistygirl (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gabrielle (Audio CD)
Same unforgettable voice, brilliant arrangements and rhythms to keep you walking for hours - I'm listening on the go :)
Record is not overly sad,my favorite track is "Baby I've changed". Highly recommended to any soul lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabrielle Gabrielle (C.D), 3 Dec 2011
Jennifer Panting "Ploddie feet" (Burnley, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gabrielle (Audio CD)
I have been looking for this C.D for a while and I have finally brought it. The album includes "Give me a little more time" and "If you ever" with East 17. And includes the Dione Warick song "Walk on by" Good to see Gabrielle write most of her songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super soul, 13 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Gabrielle (Audio CD)
I don't like this sort of music- most soul divas leave me cold.Why then do I like this album so much.
I bought this after hearing the particularly fab "give me a little more time ". Gabrielle has a wonderful voice ,singing deeply expressive and moving ballads without slush. Shame about East 17 though.I am off to buy Rise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Oct 2014
Great!!

Gabrielle
Gabrielle by Gabrielle (Audio CD - 1998)