5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, One Of The Best Albums Ever Made!!!!
This album rates as one of the best of all time in my book. "I Believe", "29 Palms" and "Great Spirit" are classics. The rest of the album is no filler either. There isn't a bad song on this album. These are just a few highlights. From the opening guitar shuffle of "Calling To You" to the riff heavy "Network News", the album is awesome. True, I only bought it for "29...
Published on 17 Mar. 2003 by jtbturnbull

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Good album.
Published 5 months ago by George Buist

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent and timeless, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
I have only quite recently discovered this magnificent and timeless album and feel extreme regret at having missed it for the first 16 or so years of its existence. A number of reviews here make out that it is one of the best albums ever, and for once the hyperbole is deserved. Like all the best albums it holds together marvellously as a unit, yet there is a wide range of styles among the 12 songs. Robert Plant moves effortlessly between a laid-back, almost wistful delivery and (occasionally) the full-throated power we recall from Led Zeppelin. But for me the top feature is the brilliant guitar playing of the late, lamented, Kevin Scott MacMichael, and I recommend that anyone who appreciates genuine guitar talent should get this album just for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel a little cheated, 11 April 2007
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
Balls, there's remastered versions now?!?! How gutted am I?

Ah well Fate of Nations is really, really good. It might sound a bit dated in parts but in fact it's one of my favourite albums, after getting in to Plant's music about 6 months ago. When I first played it I thought "ah no, this'll be a waste of money - sounds like old man's music" whereas I'm 26 and a girl. But as I say, it's now one of my favourite albums. "Greatest Gift" is of course one of the best songs on the album but there are many more treasures here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fate Of Nations - A Classic, 3 May 2003
mr d p shotton (richmond, north yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
This album has put me into a musical trance ever since I bought it several years ago. I listen to it often and it never has chance to gather dust, unlike so many of my cds. Robert Plants voice just seems to have so much range and power. Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars PLANTS BEST SOLO ALBUM, 29 Aug. 2007
Robert Walker "nobby" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
I think this Plants best solo album, although the later stuff with the strange sensation is probably on a par.Not a bad track on here, may not suit those who like their loud and heavy Zeppelin stuff but a great selection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
This is by far the best Plant solo album, from the beginning to the end, this album is great. Pay attention to the songs "29 Palms" and "I Believe", true masterpieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Dec. 2009
Ms. Y. Cleugh "Music lover" (Carlisle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
I love this album - It proves that good artists will live on for many many decades to come :)The main reason I bought this was for the song 29 Palms & I believe...but the entire album is just brilliant and Robert Plant gives it his all :))

Thanks Amazon for processing my order so quickly - I received it the day after it was ordered in excellent condition and packaged securely.

NB - for anyone reading this stay away from CD-WOW..You will be lucky to ever get your order!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Music from out of this world, 23 Oct. 2011
I used to be wary of Robert Plant's solo albums. I feared that he could let me down as a solo performer, and since I really, REALLY love Led Zeppelin I didn't dare investigate his solo career for years and years. Let's make it centuries, ok? Turns out I was wrong: Robert has produced many a great song and several fine albums over the years, and I'm thankful for that.

I've wanted this album since July 19th, 2011, when I went to Rome to see Mr. Plant perform with his Band Of Joy. An outstanding concert that was: they played many Zeppelin tunes (including a version of Ramble On which I'm looking for desperately), two or three songs from the Band Of Joy album (I wanted MORE) and some of Robert's solo hits. I was having a whale of a time, as you can imagine, when suddenly the man introduced a song I had never heard of called DOWN TO THE SEA! from his 1993 album Fate Of Nations.

The song was so beautiful and sung so perfectly, and it was completely new to me. It was like a wonderful gift. After that I decided I needed to buy Fate Of Nations.

It is a good rock album with a bluesy/Arabic feel about it that I just can't resist. I got the 2007 remastered and expanded release because I was dying to listen to Robert Plant's effort on 8:05 (included in the bonus tacks); it is quite similar to Moby Grape's original, but no one, not even Robert Plant can improve perfection. The opener Calling To You is a heavy song with a trance-like riff played on aggressive distorted electric guitars. The second track is Down To The Sea, my favourite: rich, tight, with good lyrics, guitars and hurdy-gurdy providing the perfect backing to Robert's vocals. Come Into My Life has a driving rhythm that imitates heartbeat. I Believe, one of the singles from this album, is a dynamic piece with moving lyrics about having to part from someone close because of his/her death; 29 Palms, also a single, made me realize there actually is a place called 29 palms (!) and it is a very enjoyable song too, I love the backing vocals on the chorus. Memory Song could have fitted in Walking Into Clarksdale. I wonder if Page&Plant ever played it live....it features a Pagesque guitar work (both on acoustic and electric guitar). Promised Land reminds me of Zeppelin a bit (just a little bit) and Robert plays harmonica on this, it's cool. Network News is a modern rocker, as well as Rollercoaster, though the latter is enriched with eerie dissonances provided by Phil Johnstone on keyboards. If I Were A Carpenter is a cover of Tim Hardin's 1966 song, very well arranged, Robert's delivery is remarkable and I love the finale, I'm always singing along to that.

The Greatest Gift is the song I like the less on Fate Of Nations: it is a slow-paced introspective song featuring good guitar arpeggios and a nice string arrangement by Lyneon Naiff that builds into a striking instrumental break, but I think 6:52 is just too long, plus the song sounds a trifle too `90s, especially the chorus. In Great Spirit Robert expresses his concern for the environment, which I had never known before, but I welcome and share. It is the acoustic version of the song though, that caught my eye - pardon, my ear - because it is a whole lot deeper and the vocals are simply stunning: he sounds really desperate on this and uses a scratched vibrato that never fails to give me goose bumps. Colours Of A Shade sounded to me like Fairport Convention meets Bob Dylan meets a fretless bass, and I thought it was pretty cool. The last track is called Dark Moon, acoustic, bluesy and raw.

It is a long musical journey this album leads you through, yet at the very end of it - as it always happens with adventure - you can't help longing for taking it over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best Robert Plant, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (MP3 Download)
One of the best albums I own. You will not be dissapointed in buying this.

I have most of the Robert Plant offerings and I believe that this to be, by a large margin, the best of the lot.
Good mix of heavy riffs and great singing. Be careful if you have this playing in your car,
you'll find yourself going for the volume-up button (especially with 29 Palms).

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Plant's finest hour-and-a-bit, 27 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
Robert Plant's career features some of the most celebrated music in rock history...Led Zeppelin...ya-de-ya-de-ya-da... This album (IMHO) represents his finest work. Thirteen years after LZ, with 5 and a bit solo albums and several dodgy 80's moments between himself and his past, RP finally seemed to come to terms with what he does best and released this album of joyous, evocative music. There are no fillers on this album - Calling to You supplies a dramatic opening to a set punctuated by moments of sublime beauty (Great Spirit), nostalgia (If I Were a Carpenter), pop music (29 Palms & I Believe), love (The Greatest Gift), sex (Promised Land) and the ultimate in lemon-sucking, toungue-in-cheek, stop-moping-and-enjoy-yourself lyric "Life is a big tambourine - the more that you shake it, the better is seems." I love this album and, like all good music, it sounds as fresh today as it did when it was released. Ironic then, that this should be his last solo effort before he folded up his tent and went back to work with Jimmy Page. Excellent though all their collaborations were, they didn't come close to reproducing the magic of "Fate of Nations."

5.0 out of 5 stars What happened next?, 27 Jan. 2010
K. A. Kitson (Guiseley, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fate Of Nations (Audio CD)
I remember a competition run by Q magazine asking for reader's reviews of their favourite works. To my eternal regret, I never tried to tell the wide world about this staggering peice of work. I cannot be inside Robert's head , nor understand his expectations as to how this breathtaking achievement might be received . I do know that afterward. he soon re- united with Mr Page and goodness knows , there were good things out of that. Perhaps he thought there was nowhere else to go; I wouldn't blame him. The susbsequent solo stuff is good, no, in the case of Mighty Rearranger, excellent. It just doesn't quite match up to the awe inspiring breadth of material available here. In every respect , conception, performance ; musically , lyrically, vocally , this is the essence of everything post ( dare I say it ) Zeppelin, distilled into a work that will , if there is any justice , be recognised long into the future. An hour of mysticism, melody , fury , passion and power that rewards every uninterrupted play. Enough said?

Fate Of Nations
Fate Of Nations by Robert Plant (Audio CD - 1997)