Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 April 2000
In a time when pop music is written by thousands of artists and producers and sung by swimsuit wearing cheerleaders, this album comes as a releif. Recorded from original demo's in her home studio 'the tugboat palace'and produced by Annie Lennox masermind Steven Lipson, every song is a shining individual masterpeice of pop professionalism. Sophie's Percussion roots shine through and on many of the songs there is an air of 1920' france glimpsing through and shooting the music off at angles never thought possible. Look out for 'Mr Tugboat Hello', a song which starts off with a camp minimalist piano feel and ends up as a huge celebratory feeling instrumental, with chugging guitars and sounding horns giving the feel of a post war ship coming into harbour for one last time. Amazing.
on 15 November 1999
Sophie B. Hawkins is probably best known for her bold, honest song, "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" which is featured on her first album, "Tongues and Tails". However, he latest album, "Whaler", has a great deal more depth and contains a wider variety of great songs. Her most successful song from this album is most likely, "As I Lay Me" but the same spunk and feeling she exudes in that song runs throughout the entire album. Other great singles from this album include: "Right beside you", "Did we not choose each other"," Let me love you up" and the zesty track, "I Need Nothing Else". This album is great, it is one of those hidden treasures in the world of music!
on 6 October 2004
in love I trust - I put my faith... to make me happy, to keep me safe. In you I find a way to loose myself - thrill me baby I need nothing else'' ( track 9 - I need nothing else )
this album is one that I play time after time and is one of my favourite albums of all time... its a soppy but strong, grounded album and I love it - she writes and sings these songs from the heart and i thoroughly recommend it for those romantic evenings as background music - although 'a true romance' should be played loudly if you are madly in love!! buy it!!!
on 30 July 2015
I had this album on tape 20 years ago and now just replaced with MP3. This album is one of her best ever ones.
on 23 July 2015
Re bought as my original scratched over the years. A CD and artist that had to be replaced.
on 27 March 2016
Another great CD from Sophie
on 2 November 2004
I bought this album because I have always loved the song 'Right Beside You', its one song that has stuck in my mind over the years. Regretably though the rest of the album isnt anywhere near as good in my personal opinion. I was hoping that Sophies other songs was going to be along the same lines as 'Right Beside You' but was very mistaken. The rest of the album takes on a more simplistic aproach with songs that are very forgetable. None of the remaining tracks on the album have anywhere near as much emotion or melody and all are lacking a nice bassline and synths unlike the opening track. Each to their own but if your like me and expecting a more upbeat highly charged album, you would be wrong.