on 3 June 2010
This was my first and only Greenslade LP in the 70's, and I played it a lot for a relative short period of time. Then I kind of forgot about it (and Greenslade), and then I sold my LP's in the early 80's.

10 years ago I bought their first effort "Greenslade", and their second "Bedside manners are extra", which are both great. It probably has a lot to do with nostalgia, but "Spyglass Guest" is not just great. It's magic, (wo)man! Beauty is in the ears of the beholder, sure, and I sure love my ears tonight.

I (a 50 year old/young human beeing) got home from work today, and there it was in my mailbox: "Spyglass Guest". I had totally forgotten about it, and I thought (without much ethusiasm in my head): "Oh, that one... ok..." I made, and ate, some dinner, and kind of forgot about it...

Half an hour went by, and then memory rose to the surface, and the rest goes like this: Damn! Music playing with my ears (and mind) in such a way is unheard of (sic)! No plans for red wine tonight, but who can resist it? Not MY ears mouth, anyway...

The joyious melancolic jazz-prog-melody-beauty in crystal clear sound... Instruments Truly Playing with Each Other, giving Room, giving Space... all balanced, and held together, by the Great, Punchy Drumming and the Steely Dan-like Vocals...

Cheers!
on 11 November 2002
I remember seeing this band years and years ago. After the concert I told my mate that the gig had blown my mind and have felt a prat for saying it ever since. It was just that the keyboard playing was so highly charged that it just went in through every pore. This is the only Greenslade album that I ever actually purchased and probably not really for mainstream tastes (but is still superb and evokes great mental pictures of that memorable night). Of their albums I would recommend this as a good sampler. If you like the early 70's synth sounds and not too worried about some cheesey lyrics give it a go.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2004
While I love much of Greenslade's work, this is not the best example of it. Sure, the components are there in abundance - heavily synth-orientated prog rock with gruff vocals and often delicate melodies - but there are no obviously stand-out tracks that adhere to your memory, as on Bedside Manners, Time & Tide etc. Slightly anonymous, but a worthy addition to the collection for a completist!
on 30 November 2014
In my opinion the mellow, melodic 'Spyglass Guest' is Greenslade's best album. It's still prog, but songs like 'Rainbow' and 'Little Red Fry-up' are self contained musical vignettes. Unusually for a prog band Greenslade's lyrics touched upon some darkly adult themes. Here the protagonist of 'Red Light' discovers his girlfriend is a prostitute, but seeks to continue the relationship. The song also features a great vocal performance from Dave Lawson, another one of rock's underrated singers. Throw in a couple of captivating instrumentals 'Siam See-saw' and 'Melancholic Race' and you've got a sophisticated mid 70's prog album.