5.0 out of 5 stars A classic and no joke
It's one of my favourite all-time albums! From
the opener, Take Me Back to the closing Because
You're So Sweet, Clarke and Bell give a masterclass to anyone thinking of writing synth-based pop songs. It was quite a departure
from its predecessor Chorus as I Say (or ISISIS
as it's called on the Erasure newsgroup!) goes
in for a dreamlike, more...
Published on 10 Nov 2001 by sonik57

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm! Book on recommendation of these reviews.
Not sure I agree with others reviewing this; it has all the right ingredients but this seems rather lack-lustre compared the earlier albums. I much prefer their first three albums.
Published 18 days ago by DG

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic and no joke, 10 Nov 2001
It's one of my favourite all-time albums! From
the opener, Take Me Back to the closing Because
from its predecessor Chorus as I Say (or ISISIS
as it's called on the Erasure newsgroup!) goes
in for a dreamlike, more romantic feel and pulls
it off with style.
You've several changes of mood here: from the
dreamy pop of Man In the Moon to the track that
follows it (So The Story Goes), one could rarely
find a more marked contrast. So The Story Goes
is all gothic choirs, a baroque time signature
(6/4 I think!) and an overall almost creepy atmosphere. It's quite a track. And to think they
played this live on RTE's Late Late Show twice!
Clarke's ability to write stunning melodies and
Bell's vocal versatility make this Erasure's
masterpiece. The album also spawned several hit
singles including Always and the dancey Run To
The Sun.
Clarke rarely puts a foot wrong with anything
he releases. The guy is a genius!
Al Ferrier
Souvenir

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great come back!, 12 Oct 2001
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
This was Erasure's album from 1994. It was their first album in 2 years, and although their sound changed a bit, it is a great album! There are 10 great tracks on the album, varying from the beaty Run To The Sun to the slower Because You're So Sweet. It also contains the hit singles Always and I Love Saturday.
It was a great come back for them, its a must for any Erasure fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 23 Sep 2004
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
This album is one of my top 5 albums of all time. I have been a fan of erasure for many years (i'm only 18) as my mum was a big fan and i have listened to every song they have ever done. What makes this album so special is the large amount of songs that get stuck in your head (not really a bad thing). This is an album that i could listen to over and over again without getting bored of it. A must buy for all fans of 80's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Day By the River.", 23 Aug 2009
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
The best way to describe 'Erasure's' sixth album might be with a line from the opening track:

"And the river flows, I am never, gonna' take it back again."

Indeed, this masterpiece may well be defined as a `Day by the River' in musical form.

From the first song, "Take Me Back;" a smooth and flowing stream that washes over us and fills our hearts with joy, it then becomes a babbling brook with the playful rhythm of "I Love Saturday." And sure enough, the quick, heart-warming electronic beats almost sound like droplets of water flowing over the rocks in its path.

After that, "Man in the Moon" seems to follow the route of small creek in the height of summer when the mighty flow has been reduced to a trickle. So of course, the lyrics themselves are full of hope for the future, reminding us all that tomorrow will be better than today:

"When the night is cold and you can't find anything,

And your will to survive's at an all time low,

The spirit will fly and return with a newfound energy,

So keep it within and delight as your garden grows."

Next, in a wonderful change of pace which doesn't feel 'tacked on' in any way, with "So the Story Goes," we plunge down into the depths of a flowing river and are willingly swept away by the current. Then returning to the surface in "Run to the Sun," our hearts race as we are carried along by the rapids.

After that comes the heart-warming and beautiful soul of "Always," mimicking the smooth and ephemeral flow of the first track, but with a much more joyful rhythm. And then we continue to be carried down the river by the shifting currents of "All Through the Years."

The eighth track "Blues Away" then continues to sweep us along, inducing the same gentle, hypnotic bliss that empties our minds and warms our hearts. "Miracle" somehow manages to be heart-achingly nostalgic yet full of hope for the future at the same time. And after listening to the soft and beautiful melody of "Because You're So Sweet," it feels as if we've just woken from a dream.

When the album has finished in fact, I dare anyone to remember most of the lyrics or the tunes. But in my opinion, that is precisely the point.

In many ways, `I Say I Say I Say' does have the same affect as a long, relaxing day by the river; listening to the soothing flow of the currents, the birdsong and the rustling leaves overhead. And just as the real thing could be viewed by others as being a waste of time, simply because we've achieved nothing and can't remember much about the experience, we still leave feeling refreshed and happy and ready to face the challenges of the next day. So whilst indeed there is nothing in this album which stands out or grabs your attention, in the end, it all depends on what you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars ISAYISAYISAY What an Album!, 30 April 2006
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
I remember sitting with an old friend in 1994 and he told me the new album would be out shortly and called I Say I Say I Say. Odd name for an album i thought having finished witht he abba-esque songs and the Pop! hits album, but as soon as it was released i bought it through word of mouth.

It's the best thing i ever did. Foward 12 years and it still remains as a mature, tender, soulful piece of pop fantasy Erasure have ever done. From Take Me Back (should have been a single) with its mournful sound, catchy tune and sweet lyrics, then straight to the pure pop song hits I love Saturday, Run to the Sun and Always.

The album moves like a huge fantasy story written by Andy and Vince (the album art cover is wonderful and contiuned in a sort of story theme of seasons on all the single release covers.) They even produced a pop up castle version of the album, which i have got and is great.

The last act of the album with songs such as All through the years, Blues Away and Miracle are just heart stoppingly incredible. The album has only 10 songs - shame there wasn't more. The b-sides to the singles from this album as very good, from the haunting and spectral Ghost, the racey Truely, Madly, Deeply and wonderful instrumental Tragic. The b-sides keep a unification of the album feel which is nice.

Brilliant and breathtaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Erasure album, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
I just love this album, it is a must for everybody who likes Erasure or wants to know it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - my favourite erasure album, 26 Sep 2006
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
I bought this album the day it came out and played it to death, and the magic hasn't worn off since. I listen to Erasure far more than any other band, and this is the album I always come back to (no pun intended).

Andy's voice was never better than on this album in my opinion and the melodies are top quality (typical Erasure). The vocals on 'Take Me Back' are breathtaking, and 'Because You're So Sweet' is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard. Why 'Man In The Moon' wasn't a single is still a mystery to me. And that's before you look at the three singles taken from the album!

If you get the chance to listen to this album, take it - you will love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm! Book on recommendation of these reviews., 3 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Cd, 27 Feb 2014
Love the cover for this cd, already had the cd, but it was scratched, so replaced it with this one, came well packed and on time, well pleased with it, would recommend the item and service.

5.0 out of 5 stars erasure cd, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Say I Say I Say (Audio CD)
chose the CD as I haven't heard there music in years it was great to be able to browse for old music would recommend to everyone

I Say I Say I Say
I Say I Say I Say by Erasure (Audio CD - 1994)