‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any better than this, 28 Jan 2003
Jens Horstmann (Aarhus, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
I own a lot of cd's and in particular, I own a lot of soul-cd's. But none of the other albums have the same feel and raw soul as this marvellous album. First of all, the songs are all earcatchers, but more importantly; on this album you can actually feel how Carnegie Hall must have been like that night in 1972. You can sense the audience and how they are completely in the hands of Withers and his band. Yes, he starts out of key on "Lean on me", but this album is so profound, heartfelt and really, really honest that it just adds to the illusion of "being there". Listening to Withers' talking humourosly and heartfelt of his grandmother in "Grandma's Hands" is the best part of the album, but most importantly - every minute of this album is pure raw soul as it was meant to be: A small band, the simple music and the wit and genius of an extremely gifted poet. Buy this album without hesitating!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MOST SOULFUL 70 MINUTES EVER RECORDED., 18 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
This live album is a staggering work of genius. A document of the often overlooked Bill Withers at the very height of his powers.The 9 minute version of 'Use Me' is amongst the funkiest things you'll hear, a 7-minute 'I can't write left-handed' puts the hairs up on you're neck, and I am not ashamed to say this live version of 'Lean on Me' has put tears of joy in my eyes. In my opinion all the versions of Bills classics here are the definitive versions. The energy on this record is wild, and the humour and warmth of the man himself comes right through the grooves. I my opinion there is more soul on this record than in the last 25 years of recorded music put together. I challenege you not to place this amongdt you're favourite albums of all time. A MUST OWN ALBUM. CHERISH IT, WORSHIP IT, IT'S AS GOOD AS IT'S GOING TO GET.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars are not enough., 26 Mar 2006
N. Warden (Edinburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
Somehow I ovelooked this album in the 70's. I thought Donnie Hathaway live was one of the best live soul/gospel albums . I'll have to admit that this is pure brilliance, the perforance of the band is fantastic and Bill is superb.. Just buy this CD .... ASTOUNDING every track!
Why can't albums be like this today! Releas a DVD please!

5.0 out of 5 stars It took 40 years but now I get this album, 18 Feb 2013
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
I first heard this album about 40 years ago and just didn't get it. I think I was more into Bowie, T-Rex & the Stones. However 40 years on and revisiting this album after hearing it on Spotify and I now see what a superb album this is. Not only musically but also the in-between bits between tracks when Bill is speaking.

This album is very much of its era but the sympathetic and sometimes humorous way Withers comes across is timeless The music in itself is of the highest quality and is delivered by Withers and his band better than any cover version I have heard.

This is in my mind one of those albums that can deliver something for everyone whatever their musical taste, even if this is just the classic tracks 'Ain't no Sunshine' or 'Lean on me'. The more I listen to it the more I am getting from this album and the more I realize what I have been missing for 40 years of not having it in my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
A smashing album that I was very pleased to get hold of. Quality of the cd and service was first clas and I have no complaints at all

5.0 out of 5 stars The best live album ever?, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
Admittedley a subjective and bold statement but for me this is simply the best live album ever. Warm, melodious, humourous and full of the most well crafted songs. Its an album of humane vitality that touches all the posts of existence. Once you let this album in your life you will be richer for it, tust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant concert, 25 May 2011
G. Campbell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
Musicians live for live performance...that's where the true magic happens.

This Live recording captures a truly wonderful performance by a great songwriter and a superb band. The live interaction with the audience is funny and gentle, the band and audience are clearly having a great time.

Bill Withers may have faded from the intense public glare...but...and it's a big BUT...his music was real and true to life in a way few performer/writers achieve. If you used to enjoy his music, but need reminding how wonderful he was, then this cd is well worth the very good price. I bet you won't stop movin'!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best live sessions to come out of the 1970s, 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
I had the original LP in the 1970s and it was played to death. Its probably one of the best live sessions to come out of that period, with the musician as tight and sweet as ever. When it was purchased for Christmas this year it went straight on, and bought back some nice memories. However, when listening to it again I was I little disappointed at the quality of the recording on CD the volume levels are all over the place, from about track 5 on. But don't let this detract, from a brilliant live CD where you can feel the buzz in the audience. Bill and the band were right on the button on the night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Album and Great Listen, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
This was recorded over 40 years ago but you won't find a better `live' recording anywhere? Well, that's not strictly true is it, as the horns and strings on this album were overdubbed after the event so the live audience heard just the band playing.
That aside this album has a wonderful feel ( very happy clappy in places) and Withers is so at home with his audience that it's a real pleasure to listen to.
My favourite is `Lean on Me' which is almost a Slave work song / Gospel song in its message. `I can't write left handed,' is about the war in Vietnam with very prophetic words that certainly strikes home.
There's not a bad track on here and one just gets carried along with the concert - the whole thing is so easy going and instantly enjoyable and Withers is just brilliant with the audience. I wouldn't quite call it a classic but it's not far off of being one!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 24 July 2006
Anthony Duckmanton "Soul Man" (essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (Audio CD)
this is the best live album EVER. the warmth and the genius of the man shines through from the begining to the end and its like a non-stop 70 minute orgasm!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall
Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall by Bill Withers (Audio CD - 1997)