5.0 out of 5 stars This album is a timeless classic, 28 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
I remember first hearing "only to be with you" in a pub in southampton back in 1994 and was instantly hooked from then on. I quickly bought the album "Permanent Shade of Blue" just on the basis of that first song alone. But the album still grows on me to this day. The songs emergency and Lay your Love on me are superb and there is not one bad song on the album. I would strongly recommend to go and see the man live because his live stage performances are "immense". The energy he puts into his performances has got to be seen. Returning to the album, well its a little like the film "The Shawshank redemption", not a box office smash but through word of mouth has become a cult classic and is now regarded as oneof the greatest films ever made. Roachfords "permanent shade of blue" follows in that genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the 90's - no question, 28 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
For me, this cracking album is an all time great yet relatively few people have had the pleasure of listening to Permanent Shade of Blue. This album is rarely out of my stereo, and has been since 1994 it is THAT good, and offers soulful and in places beautiful acoustic melodies, particularly "Cry for Me", through to the rock/pop classic "Only to be with you". Andrew Roachford's vocal and writing abilities put him in a class above, and it is little surprise that another great vocalist like Terence Trent D'Arby was impressed by Roachford's talents and helped him on his way. Some of his lyrics and delivery are simply breathtaking - particularly the acoustic tracks.
If you like soul/r'n'b/rock buy this album and thank yourself you read this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, a pure classic, 14 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
I first heard 'Only to be with you' in a car many years ago and loved it so much i went out and bought the tape even though I'd never heard of Roachford, perhaps that's what I still love about them, they're not in your face celebrities but keep a pretty low profile, and that's the way it should be, recognition through excellent musical talent. The tape wore out through playing it in my car so much a few months ago, so I have to now buy the CD as it's been a while since i've heard it and I miss it! It's not very often i buy music and like every song on the album but this is one of them, one song after the other is pure genius. theres some rock in there but the slow ones, with Andrew Roachfords perfectly soulful voice, almost bring a tear to my eye! If you only buy one CD this year GET THIS ONE. fantastic, probably my favourite album.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album that Should be 'Permanently' in your Collection and on your Playlist!, 31 Oct. 2009
Mr. S. W. Steel "stephensteel" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
This is my favourite of all of Roachford's albums. To me it is the most consistent of them, and one of those rare albums that you can play from start to finish and enjoy every single song. It is also the album that they released the most singles from. They were, in order : Only to be with You, Lay Your Love on Me, This Generation, Cry for Me and I Know You Don't Love Me.
These singles are excellent and full of r'n'b/soul and pop talent - and all topped off by Andrew Roachford's amazing voice. But to say that these songs are the reason you should buy this album would be unfair as some of the supporting tracks are just as good. As other reviewers have said, a lot of them have personal meanings to them and this is what Roachford do best - they tap into what makes people tick. Everyone has their own personal favourites.
I love this album and frequently play it even now - and that is over ten years since it's release! If you buy just one Roachford album, then this has to be the one that you should pick up.
As a side note, Andrew Roachford is absolutely amazing live, so if you ever get the chance to go and see him then you really must make the effort to go. He tends to do smaller, more intimate gigs and you can really get up close and personal. I saw him a few years back after the release of the album 'Feel' and he was utterly amazing. He can sing just as good live as he sounds on a cd. I was lucky enough to see him at the Fleece in Bristol on Thursday 29th of October and he was unbelievably good. He has a presence on stage that made everyone in the audience grin like a cheshire cat - he got everyone involved, had a few good laughs with the crowd and most important of all for me - a twinkle in his eye that told us all he was enjoying it just as much as we were!
As other people have said he should be bigger than he is. This guy is a real star and he deserves to be one of our biggest stars in the UK. He is a real musician, and a real talent. I can't wait for more of his albums, and i hope to get the chance to see him again.
Thanks, Andrew Roachford !

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a reminder of more youthful days!, 16 July 2007
Lisa Lawman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
Re-discovered when sorting out old cassettes with a view to replacing on cd. It was a fantastic reminder of an album that had the ability to make the hairs stand up on my neck (and still does) and thats nearly every track! A special fondness for "I Know You Dont Love Me" which was very relevant to a special person at the time of this album release and was the reason i originally bought it. An artist not known well enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated excellence, 10 Nov. 2004
matthew smith (Altrincham, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
My mum bought this album when it came out, and we used to listen to the tape constantly in the car. My current musical taste differs completely to the genre of this album, but I still love each and every song. I'm now going out to buy the CD format to replace the cassette.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, after all this time, 3 Mar. 2010
Mark Whitehead (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
I recently rediscovered Roachford- having only had the album "Roachford", and feeling very disillusioned with the music industry these days (getting old!), I wondered if his other stuff was any good. Encouraged by the reviews here I bought it and have to say I'm impressed.

Nothing really stands out and grabs me, they're simply very, very good songs and I could quite happily listen to it day-in, day-out, unlike other artists whose albums have a somewhat short shelf-life.

Apologies for being lazy and copying this review to the other album of his I got- I justhappen to feel the same about them both :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars yes what they said - a lost gem, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
A realy solid soul/rock album that more people should know about. the songs are all decent or great, the singing is top notch and the production has aged realy well. My friend lent me this CD about 15 years ago and I never gave it back because I liked it so much.
There wasnt a lot of brit soul back in the 90's and most of it wasnt that great but this is a realy good album. It reminds me a bit of prince and other things. What realy makes it stand out is the singing which as i said before its totally up there. pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 16 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
I have been looking for this CD several years for now. Everywhere where I looked for it, it was sold out. But here You are selling it and I suggest everybody to buy it. It is the best. I was looking for this CD because of the songs 'Only to be with you' and 'This generation'. But the other songs like 'Cry for me' and 'Ride the storm' are just as good. And as the greatest fan of Roachford I also wanna say that everything touched by him turns to gold. So do not buy only this CD from him but also the others and enjoy them as much as do.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Stunning, 17 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Permanent Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)
Wow, what can I say? This is simply one of the best albums I have ever bought, every track is a classic. It offers something different to anything I have heard with a brilliant combination of soul/r'n'b/rock in a way you could never imagine. Despite having had this album for many years now it is always in my CD player because I find I can never get bored with it. Buy this album you won't be dissapointed.

Permanent Shade Of Blue
Permanent Shade Of Blue by Roachford (Audio CD - 1998)