4.0 out of 5 stars This album is good
OK...the line up seems to have changed a bit, but the stalwarts are still there - Bob Siebenberg, John Helliwell and of course Rick Davis.
Published on 15 Mar 2002 by Hat Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but nothing special
I was only introduced to Supertramp a few months ago so thought I'd give it a go. The track I was initiated with was Rudy so that was my benchmark. There are some good tracks on this but Crime of the Century (the album containing Rudy) is better.
Published 14 months ago by Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars This album is good, 15 Mar 2002
Hat Smith "Tudor" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
what I enjoyed most was that after just a few listenings, I felt I was back in familiar Supertramp territory. Rick's Piano & Organ playing remains static, John's ever present clarinet/sax, wonderful harmonies and tunes which keep you coming back for more!
If you're into Supertramp, this is worth the investment! Stop replaying your old Supertramp albums, and pick up some of there fresh material

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful jazzy vibe!, 22 Feb 2010
I came late to Supertramp because when I was a teenager in the seventies I didn't take to the band's high vocal sound and that put me off buying the albums, although I heard them often enough at friends' houses!

Now that I'm older I have mellowed in my appreciation of the voice and it is allowing me to enjoy their music as if it was new. (Incidentally, this also applies to a band like Yes, for the same reason, I could never quite enjoy Jon Anderson's vocal then, but now the music over-rides any concerns on that aspect.)

Perhaps because of that background, I haven't really followed whatever disagreements arose between two of the principal players and creative forces in Supertramp, Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson, and I am able to enjoy a later Hodgson-free album such as this on its own merit, whereas fans who have been close to the band from the beginning will have their own particular favourite.

In fact, I prefer this and "Brother Where You Bound", the other "later" album that I've heard, to the earlier Supertramp albums - the jazzy vibe is really very enjoyable, in particular on this album, where it is sustained for virtually its entire duration, with "Give Me a Chance" where Mark Hart takes lead vocals, having a slightly different feel to the rest of the album.

A modern CD album length allows the jazzy music time to breathe and gain life and Davies's keyboards and Helliwell's saxophone/woodwind playing is an absolute delight in this regard.

For those of you who have enjoyed the jazzier moments of Supertramp's music, this album, where it is unfettered, will be an absolute delight.

4.0 out of 5 stars The New-Look Supertramp, 22 July 2000
By A Customer
This was their first album after a farewell gig in 1988 - I was disappointed to find that Bassist, Dougie Thompson from Glasgow, was no longer in the line-up.
What was I to expect? Was it all going to be modern, like Brother Where You Bound? Or was it going to be more R'n'B like their "Free as a Bird" album? I was pleased to find that it was more R'n'B, The new line up sounded good and the music was very pleasing.
My favourites were "Some Things Never Change", "Listen To Me Please", "And The Light", "Give me a Chance" and "C'est What?".
I enjoyed this album and hope to see more like this, soon!

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but nothing special, 11 Jun 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars vintage Rick davies Supertramp!, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Some Things Never Change (Audio CD)
I am writing this review at a special moment. Tomorrow, for the first time in my life, I am going to attend a solo Roger Hodgson concert in Ostend. The last time I saw him live was in Cologne in 1983, during the Tour that supported Supertramp's "Famous Last Words" album. I was a bit worried about what was going to happen with one of my favourite bands after the departure of RH. Well, I didn't need to worry, because what they came up with was "Brother Where You Bound", in my humble opinion the best Supertramp album ever. Almost all of the songs on that album were highlights: Canonball, Better Days and of course the title track Brother Where You Bound, supported by some great guitar work from Pink Floyd's David Gimour. I must admit that I have always prefered Rick Davies to Roger Hodgson. I am not that big a fan of the hit singles: Dreamer, Logical Song, Breakfast in America etc..I do love Fool's Overture, Hide in Your Shell, Child of Vision. But I think that for the rest, the strongest songs were Rick's: Rudy, Bloody Well Right, Asylum, Crime of the Century, Another Man's Woman, From Now On, Goodbye Stranger ....OK, Free as a Bird, their 1987 album, was a disapointment, mainly because of the feeling that it didn't sound like a group effort. But after a 10 year hiatus, they came up with "Some Things Never Change". And with the exception of the two songs sung by Mark Hart, these are all vintage Rick Davis Supertramp songs. Even the album cover is a return to form. Don't hesitate to buy this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good album, 25 Sep 2007
After 10 years Rick Davies releases this album and I think its a good effort. Some of the songs actually sounded better on the 97 Tour. Being a Hodgson fan, its never been the same since Roger left but if you like a more R&B type album, this is it. Some people have said SLOW MOTION is better but I think its hard to tell. For those of you who prefer Hodgson songs (Dreamer, breakfast in America, give a litle bit, etc) Roger released !"OPEN THE DOOR" in 2000 and recently released a Live DVD recorded in Montreal which is 5 STAR RATED and has sold well over a million copies already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Some Things Never Change (Audio CD)
liked it

Some Things Never Change
Some Things Never Change by Supertramp (Audio CD - 2012)