5.0 out of 5 stars Career highlight, 28 Feb 2009
Rge Turner "RGET" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
From the purring opening of 'Now my heart is full' to the career defining 'In my own strange way, I've always been true to you' this would be the greatest album ever written if not for the wretchedly 'Used to be a sweet boy'. The voice melts away the stresses of even the worst traffic jam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mournful, atmospheric and essential, 5 Feb 2009
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
While Vauxhall and I offers few live favourites that Morrissey still plays to this day, as an album it is arguably Morrissey's finest as a solo artist. Written after the death of 3 close friends and associates, many of the songs here concern death and destruction - Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning and the goosebumps inducing The Lazy Sunbathers, about sunbathers on the day of Nazi invasion of Poland. There is also a direct elegy to lost friendships in Hold On To Your Friends, offering valuable Moz advice such as seen in Accept Yourself by Smiths such as 'There's more than enough to fight and oppose, so hold on to your friends'. It also features the eery and by the same measure tragic The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, classic mope in I Am Hated For Loving, the defiant Now My Heart Is Full, and the snarling hitback at critics in Speedway. Most of the album is in the minor key and the tempo is much slowed from the preceding Your Arsenal. Perhaps the most sombre Morrissey solo album, listeners be prepared for 40 minutes of relentless introspection.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets no better, 6 Oct 2006
Mr. John Evans (Pasadena, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
For a long time I had just one Morrissey album - Your Arsenal - and liked it so much I thought its exquisite combination of soaring melodies, brilliant guitar work and intriguing, often amusing lyrics could not be matched. Like many others, I bought the well-hyped Ringleader of the Tormentors. Well, it certainly has a few good songs but I'd rather pay more for less with this album. That led me to buy Vauxhall and I, based on reviews on Amazon. This is simply a fantastic piece of work, with all the qualities which made Your Arsenal so appealing but in a dreamier, more expansive style. I especially like Used to be a Sweet Boy, which is short (too short) but has an amazing wafting guitar-based ending. But there's not a bad track here - not even an indifferent one. And Morrissey's singing is perfect, floating through the soft parts, strident when necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morrissey: the soundtrack of your life, 4 July 2003
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
This is a class album with excellent tracks like the magnificent Spring Heeled Jim and the amazing Speedway. Perfect soundtrack for a rainy winter day: you'll see the light at the end of it.
Go and buy it now! Morrissey at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the Mozzer's finest solo hour and indispensible..., 4 April 2006
Jeff Markham (Walton-on-Thames, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
Having read some of the reviews for MORRISSEY's latest album I felt it was time to get real and add to the excellent foresight of several other reviewers here to advise newcomers to the Great Man's sound that VAUXHALL AND I is far an away his greatest post-SMITHS' album. Every track is essential and there's a cohesion, complexity and sheer artistic brilliance to the songs that is sadly lacking in some of his other recent solo work.
Like many other SMITHS fans I bought the Mozzer's last solo offering, YOU ARE THE QUARRY, on the back of some great reviews but although there are obviously some good tracks on that LP the overall impression was that the comeback was over-hyped and overrated. I won't be making the same mistake again and if you are sensible you should be circumspect too. Buy this undisputed masterpiece instead and you will discover one the great albums of the 1990s, no question.
For me, VAUXHALL is the only Mozzer album that matches the best of THE SMITHS. Following the uplifting, soaring opener NOW MY HEART IS FULL, the following two tracks feature brilliant, evocative lyrics about "loafing oafs in all-night chemists", (SPRING-HEELED JIM and BILLY BUDD) with Morrissey's subtle, blackly humorous lyrics chiming beautifully with the excellent guitar work of Boz Boorer and Alan Whyte. LIFEGUARD DREAMING, GIRL DROWNING is a full-on, beautiful and tragic tale, whilst I love the dreamy nonsense too of THE LAZY SUNBATHERS, a deceptively gentle song that barely prepares you for the cracking all-out rock of the superb closer SPEEDWAY. This is a very great record and I for one very much doubt if MORRISSEY will ever equal the heights he attained on every track here. Forget the hype and get this instead - you won't be 'DISAPPOINTED'.

5.0 out of 5 stars VAUXHALL AND I, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
VAUXHALL AND I was both a critical and commercial success when it was released in 1994 and set the standard - an already impossibly high standard - by which all subsequent Morrissey solo releases have been judged. I'm normally suspicious of such consensus - and I don't agree that THE QUEEN IS DEAD is THE SMITHS best album - but 'Vauxhall' has me up against the wall by the lapels. Morrissey may be 'witty' and 'arch' and music journalists' favourite interview (with a couple of recent notable exceptions) but his honesty and conviction as a writer and performer is absolute and it is this quality that has sustained him as an artist. As with all great artists, he inhabits a world of his own imagining ('World of Morrissey') and it was never better described than on this perfect record. It's not a concept album as such, but there's a beautiful, strange alchemy between the songs - lyrically, musically - that gives it a profoundly fulfilling sense of unity and if you listen to it from start to finish it will transport you. If I could save one record from a burning house it would be this. They should put it on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great album, a perfect intro to Morrissey, 20 Jan 2001
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
This album is worth it for the first track alone. Now my Heart is Full is a heart-rending tune, I love it. Vauxhall and I is one of those albums that, when you're in a certain mood, mirrors exactly your thoughts and feelings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morrissey's best solo offering to date., 18 Jan 2000
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
Released in March 1994 when Morrissey's critical standing with the UK music press was at an all time low, 'Vauxhall and I' is an outstanding album, which easily ranks along with the best of hie work with The Smiths.
Every track is classic, and it is hard to pick any outstanding tracks. 'Now My Heart is Full' is a perfect opener, with it's sublime guitars rumbling in the background as Moz's reels off the names of Brighton Rock gangsters.
'Vauxhall and I' is the only Morrissey solo effort that has a distinct feel to it, which is why it ranks amongst his best ever work. The listless 'Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning', being one of the most beautiful songs that Moz has recorded.
Morrissey subsequent releases haven't been up to the quality of 'Vauxhall and I', so I suppose if you have to just own one Morrissey album, I guess it would have to be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars what can you say, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
What can you say, pure morrissey at his usual greatness never leaves my car.Morrissey never fails to deliver.Thanks Martin Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Highlight of Morrissey at His Peak, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
This record is very much a continuation of success for Morrissey since Your Arsenal. This album is pretty much the opposite as its predecessor, in the sense that it has much softer, more mellow sound, which is a nice change in direction from the rockabilly sound he had adopted for the previous two albums.

Now My Heart is Full stands as one of Morrissey's most epic ballads, with his voice really well developed and the lyrics so full of rich meaning as he sings them. Spring-Heeled-Jim is a more rock orientated track, though still maintains the mellow overall sound of the track. This is another stand-out track. Billy Budd is another rock track, more brash than the previous although lyrically weaker.

Hold On To Your Friends stands as one of the strongest tracks, with some really wonderful guitar work. This follows The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get, which was a single and rightly so. This is another standout and shows Morrissey being witty and uncompromising as ever.

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, and I Am Hated For Loving are two tracks that I like to listen to together, because they work together so well. The first has a wise message behind it, and the second is one of Morrissey's most personal, intimate songs on the record. In Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning, Morrissey's voice is incredibly creepy and camp. The song also features an accordian and a voice repeating "What's Your Name" in the background. A peculiar, but standout track on the album.

Used To Be A Sweet Boy is the weakest track on the record for me, but it is by no means terrible. The Lazy Sunbathers is another witty number and has a soft, lush melody throughout. The final, Speedway features a chainsaw-like sound and a bleating drumming for an outro, obviously illuminated by Morrissey's strongest lyrical verses on the whole album. It is a wonderful ending to the record and another of its many highlights.

Overall I think this marks the end of Morrissey's period of masterpieces until his 2004 comeback as least. I don't have a copy of Southpaw Grammar but Malajusted, while by no means bad, is definately not at the same level of this and Your Arsenal, which are without doubt with the best of Morrissey's and the Smiths Discography.

ARRAY(0xb3ff5258)

Vauxhall And I
Vauxhall And I by Morrissey (Audio CD - 1994)