5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the ultimate highlight of his career.
This is, quite possibly, the best Morrissey solo album. Indeed, there is stiff competition from 1992's heavier Your Arsenal and then, more recently, You are the Quarry, but still, this 1994 release remains something of a pinnacle within the context of his career.
Vauxhall & I was released during the period in which Morrissey still found favour amongst the record...
Published on 21 Aug 2005 by Jonathan James Romley

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor "Definitive" Remaster
DON'T PANIC! Fellow Moz acolytes. The two stars given above are for this very dismal effort of a 20th anniversary, definitive remaster from Warner Bros.

The music is still the absolute best of Morrissey's solo career to date. There's not a wasted syllable or musical note on it. Wonderful from start to finish.

However, those fans thinking of diving in...
Published 1 month ago by David Robb

5.0 out of 5 stars Start with this album if you are new to Morrissey, 1 Feb 2005
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
I could wax lyrical ad nauseum about this guy, but yet another hagiography won't help the casual observer. Suffice to say he is often grossly misrepresented, inspires deep devotion or absolute, unbridled ridicule, and the grey area inbetween is non-existent. However, to excite such polarity of opinion, for over twenty years, is fairly suggestive of a certain uniqueness.
'Vauxhall & I' was recorded seven years after the Smiths spluttered out, when most of the music cognoscenti gleefully believed his early solo promise had similarly petered out. Not so, oh so wrong.
I seriously commend this album to Morrissey beginners, as not only is the the best example of all his strengths (wonderful obliqueness, lyrical humour, mordancy, ambiguity, idiosyncratic cultural references, a clutch of superb tunes), it remains, with 'You Are The Quarry', the most well-produced and symbolic of the man's talents. Personal faves - Billy Budd (rumoured to be about him and Marr, though with Morrissey one is never sure) and Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself - so, as Mozza says, why don't you?
And he is awesome live - catch him if you get the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars undoubtedly morrissey's finest hour, 24 Jun 2003
mick ransom (Darlington, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
I have recommended this collection of wonderous tunes to 'all of my friends, i dont have too many'over the years. even those misguided types who still believe morrissey to be 'that miserable git with the flowers' still have enough savvy to comprehend real quality when they witness it.
the tracks 'why dont you find out for yourself, now my heart is full, and I am hated for loving are among the most accomplished pieces of music you will ever come across. In Vauxhall and I morrissey captures the true essence of human emotion, a rare quality in the history of popular music.
Just take a few moments to look through your cd collection and ask yourself; 'How many of these am I truly proud of?'
Then put on track 6 of Vauxhall and I, and find out for yourself.
enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl wins again, 17 Jun 2014
P. McKenna "petermckenna123" (Drogheda , Ireland) - See all my reviews
No need to say anything here about the content, except to say that this is Morrissey's most accomplished album by far.
This review is about the vinyl itself. It is a joy to hear this album again on vinyl. The heavyweight 180g is beautiful to see and to listen to. The tone from the album is warm and beefy, far superior to the CD version. Even if you have the original LP [and lucky you it is worth a fortune!] I would recommend that you would add this to your collection, for the sheer quality of the sound.
Visually, the disc is lovely. The label is the purple flowery Carl Lindstrom 'Parlophon', The inner sleeve and inner gatefold have different images to the original pressing. A must have for any Moz fan.
2 niggles though:
Vinyl is not cheap, so when you buy an album on vinyl now, you want to be able to keep it in as mint condition as possible.
The disc is 180g vinyl, so naturally is very heavy. So why supply the disc in a thin paper inner? It is going to cut through the bottom of the inner in no time.
This is a gatefold album sleeve...it comes shrinkwrapped. To see the actual sleeve as it is meant, means tearing off the shrink completely. Given the prices charged, could they not supply the buyer with a PVC sleeve gratis? It wouldn't cost them much but would mean a great deal to the purchaser. Where do you buy PVC album sleeves these days?!
Happy listening :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Moz delivers his most sombre record, and ain't it a good one?, 1 Aug 2008
D. Tranter (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
Probably the best record released by a British musician since Bowie's 'Hunky Dory'. Forgive the hyperbole but this album is Morrissey at his most acerbic, reflective and tender. "Now My Heart Is Full" a lovely 5 minute ballad expressing contentment kicks off the album, the 2 minute "Billy Budd" lamenting his (mis)fortunes since the demise of The Smiths is equllay brilliant. "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" one of Morrissey's most celebrated tracks is justifiably a classic accompanied by a delicious Boz Boorer guitar melody. "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself", the most scathing track on the album, and probably the best contains Moz's best vocal on the whole album, "...the sanest are mad", indeed they are. "I Am Hated For Loving" another medodious pop song in which the celebrated wordsmith claims to be "..haunted for wanting". "Speedway" the album's final piece tackles a subject close to Moz, his public persona and offers a little bit of biting satire confirming his lyrical genius.

All in all, Moz's best solo record and is up there with the best of his Smiths output, "..I could have dragged you in guilt by implication" he sings, if lauding this as one of the greatest albums ever were a crime, then I am guilty, put the cuffs on me now.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the one, 21 April 2008
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
the best mozz album made. followed by viva hate and your arsenal its just perfect. every track is perfect. dreamy even.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, not what I expected., 11 Oct 2007
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
From the perspective of being a non-Smiths fan I was surprised how great this album is. Every track is superb, Morrisey's singing is a revelation (much more tuneful than the rather monotone delivery reminiscent of some of earlier Smiths stuff). The tunes are both powerful and catchy, and the lyrics characteristically gritty. I don't actually possess any other Morrissey albums but don't feel I need to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of more than 5*s., 23 Sep 2004
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
Being an absolute Morrissey maniac you would think that I would rate every album as a five-star-er. Well, no, that's not the truth. I own nearly all the Smiths and Morrissey albums and none of them compare to the absolute but yet savage beauty of 'Vauxhall and I'.
Morrissey's voice seems to sound clearer in this album than any other. This effect creates a direct address to the listener (thanks also to the music which works in perfect unison with Moz's voice). This, probably more than any other Moz album, forces you to stop and listen to every word. (So don't try and listen to this album as background noise, as you will not get anything else done!) The realisation comes, when you listen to THIS album especially, that Morrissey knows more about you and your life than you do! No, I honestly don't think he's stalking everyone- but it makes you wonder! It sounds like cheese-on-toast but you learn so much about life and yourself. It's that Morrissey charm, he is singing about everything you thought about once and quickly put to the back of your mind.
I'm not really doing much justice to this album! It's hard to describe how much of yourself you will see in this album and how much you never realised you saw about you and life in general. It's a beautiful and truthful album which seems to flow seamlessly between songs. It's the most moving album I own and nothing even comes near its greatness! It's such a personal experience listening to 'Vauxhall' that you need to listen to it for yourself. So do so, because this review will probably read like dribble until you personally listen to this outrageously, gorgeous album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Morrissey's Solo Highpoint, 2 July 2012
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
Morrissey's 1994 album Vauxhall And I is, for me, this most innovative artist's greatest solo album, surpassing his other sterling efforts (Your Arsenal, Maladjusted, You Are The Quarry and Years Of Refusal) and leaving his weaker efforts (Kill Uncle, Southpaw Grammar and Ringleader Of The Tormentors) very much in its wake. The album represents Morrissey at his most eloquent, subtle, idiosyncratic, funny and (even) tender, containing a compelling set of melodies and hooks within the eleven songs featured, which were co-written with his long time collaborators, writing partners and band members Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer.

For me, there is not a weak song here. Beginning with the haunting melody (guitar, bass, strings) that underpins the moody Now My Heart Is Full, a true wall-of-sound classic that is right up there with Mozza's best ever songs, the album does not let up. This opening song also rekindles the man's recurring obsession with all things culturally British (or perhaps that should be English) with its references to the Brighton Rock characters (Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt) as well as to deceased, small-time actor Patric Doonan. Of the more up-tempo (arguably more commercial) songs, Billy Budd is an infectious romp which may or may not (probably not) be based on the Herman Melville character, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get is based on a catchy riff and regularly features in the live set list (and contains the great line, 'I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges'), and the album closes with Speedway, something of a tour-de-force, powerfully rhythm driven (with the added sound of a motorbike revving up - or is it a chain-saw? - for good measure) as Mozza repeatedly attests to his faithfulness (presumably against the evils of the press).

Vauxhall And I is also, rightly, loved for its outstanding selection of infectious (and musically lighter) songs. Each of Hold On To Your Friends, I Am Hated For Loving and Used To Be A Sweet Boy are based on a sublime melody and these songs find Mozza at his most reflective and (even) tender, whilst Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning tells the apparent story of a girl's unnoticed death, with superbly evocative (and, at times, whispered) vocals from Mozza, all with an accordion-like, maudlin sounding instrumental backing.

Despite the consistently high quality of the aforementioned songs, my own particular (maybe idiosyncratic) favourites are, however, the remaining three songs on the album. Spring-Heeled Jim appears to be, on first hearing, something of a throwaway song - but, for me, it becomes totally infectious and the (atmospheric) impact of the lilting melody is accentuated greatly by the backing vocal voiceover of 'cockney banter' taken from Karel Reisz's 1959 documentary film We Are The Lambeth Boys. Then we have the album's lyrical highpoint (always something to shout about when it comes to a Morrissey song) in The Lazy Sunbathers - this is one of the man's greatest ever, all to the backing of another haunting melody, and reaching its apex with, 'Nothing appears to be between the ears of the lazy sunbathers' - pure magic. Finally, my album favourite - Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, one of the great Alain Whyte's best ever melodies, with another top Morrissey lyric ('I've been stabbed in the back so many many times, I don't have any skin but that's just the way it goes'). A magical acoustic song which (for some reason) always reminds me of another acoustic masterpiece, Graham Parker's Between You And Me.

A pretty much flawless album, and second only to The Queen Is Dead in Morrissey's creative achievements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Again and Again, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
I've heard it so many times over the years but this album is a high point in a career of many, and features songs as good as any done by the Smiths, better in many cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime music from Morrissey, 3 Dec 2010
Mr. Craig Henderson (North East, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
Vauxhall and I is a tremendous album by Morrissey and definitely one you should add to your record collection. The songs are beautiful and the singing and harmonies on the record are superb. 'The more you ignore me the closer I get' is a teasing love song, 'Hold onto your Friends' is touching and 'Now my heart is full' is a sublime masterpiece. The lyrics in this album are stunning and this is the sort of beautiful poetry that only Morrissey can deliver. Vauxhall and I is a stunning album and it is a pity that Morrissey does not sign many of these songs at his recent gigs.
This is a seminal album and one you must add to your collection-you will take something from it and will not be disappointed.
5 stars.
Epic.

Vauxhall And I
Vauxhall And I by Morrissey (Audio CD - 1994)