5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece
BOC will never better this album in my opinion. It is a perfect album, in form and function. The bands recent work hasn't equalled this album for me, as a whole this album is close to perfection. In terms of describing the sound, think moody and emotional electronica. I love the hip-hop influenced beats on this album, the first time I listened to An Eagle In Your Mind and...
Published on 24 Mar 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Subtle & clever yet quite bland
I was initially quite disappointed with Music Has The Right To Children as it took some patience to get into the sound and there is little in the way of 'hooks' to pull you in. After some time I found I had warmed to it although it's safe to say that BOC inhabit a very different headspace to me.
If you like ambient music you'll probably find this an excellent...
Published on 1 Nov 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars -enter title here-, 12 Aug 2007
A. Weaver "Thing Witch" (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
Six times in two weeks. That's how many times I've listened to this album since getting it. That's quite a lot, right? I guess it is. Also, I guess that means that I like it, and that I'm recommending you buy it? Well, of course I am.

This was my first encounter with Boards of Canada and I am definitely pleased we met. I am just getting into this sort of music (ambient, IDM, electronica) and I'm pretty glad this was one of the first albums of this kind that I invested in. The music is all over the place and there is bound to be something on here that you like, making it worth the purchase. Luckily, or more likely because of how good Boards of Canada are, there was plenty on here I liked.

But - and there are a couple of buts; I'm not giving it four stars after all - but, while a lot of what is to be found on this album is great, it doesn't all hit the mark. Now, I don't actually think that there are any bad tracks here, it's just some of them aren't all that memorable. Going through the track list on Amazon I can recall what more than half of them are like but some you do tend to forget later. This, though, is a bit of a minor thing when there are brilliant tracks like `An Eagle in your mind' `Aquarius' and the magnificent (but not quite life changing) `ROYGBIV'. The much hyped up `ROYGBIV' is certainly my favourite track on this album and likely it is a lot of peoples; just don't listen to it expecting it to be the greatest thing you've ever heard in your life.

So, all in all a great album. Four stars though because it's probably not gonna stop the world spinning and because I think there are definitely better within the genre. Definitely worth you buying though.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to hear it., 17 Aug 2000
This review is from: Music Has the Right to Children (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of "Roygbiv" which is one of the brashest, catchiest tracks. But I was pleasantly surprised by the whole album. It ranges from ambient bleeps and twiddles to some menacing industrial sounds, but (unlike some of this kind of music) it never once gets boring or irritating. It all comes together perfectly as an album. I've got into lots of similar stuff since I first heard this, but I don't think any of it is quite as good. It's one of the best albums I've heard in ages, and I wish there was more music like it!
If you like this I recommend Plaid, Autechre, Bjork, and the soundtrack for the film "Pi".

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical Music for Machine Intelligences, 2 Jun 2005
keeko (Cairns, Australia) - See all my reviews
Having owned this disc for almost a decade now, it remains one of a group of about a dozen electronica albums I return to consistently. I used to describe it as the kind of music that synthesizers listen to (at least the ones with good taste) and predicted that it would eventually be considered as 'classical' music by the machine intelligences of the future. Now that I'm no longer on drugs, I just describe it as a great listen. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1134, 16 Oct 2007
Most reviewers will mention a certain nostalgia contained within the music here, and they're right. It initially seems obvious; with the laughter of children prevalent throughout and the eerie, faded, and oh so suitable album art, but there's something that runs much deeper on Music Has the Right to Children, something that lives beyond the surface of synths, beats and scratches. It's hard to put your finger on, but once it gets you it just won't let go. An album to treasure.

Also, make sure you get the version with 'Happy Cycling' on. Definitely one of the duo's finest and most effective tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare and hidden gem, 5 Sep 2008
Haz (Leics, UK) - See all my reviews
I picked this up recently having heard the name through someone's Amazon list and being sufficiently curious to locate their Myspace. There I felt in love with 'Roygbiv' almost immediately, and just had to own it.

No surprise reading other reviews to see that it is many other people's favourite track as well, and I share the sentiments expressing how this remarkable track is somehow simultaneously euphoric and melancholy - and yes it can bring a tear to the eye.

My sole criticism of 'Roygbiv' - and the achingly beautiful 'Olsen' - is that they are too short! I could listen to 10 minutes versions of each, yet sadly they clock in at a combined length of under 3 minutes.

As you listen more, further delights reveal themselves, notably 'Telephasic Workshop', 'Sixtyten', 'Open the Light' and 'Aquarius' ("oooorrrrrange"), though in reality it is one of those albums that each time you listen to it, you will take something different from it so repeated spins bring a more than ample reward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance, 11 Mar 2002
A. Mockler (Chippenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Has the Right to Children (Audio CD)
This album is sheer musical brilliance.I only stumbled across it by accident while looking for more stuff like early Autechre etc. This album surpasses anything else i have found since and before. All the tracks are magical and my fave must be "roygbiv". The whole album is so melodic and chilled. If anybody is in any doubt about buying this album DO IT! i promise you wont regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars boards skid over new fields, 28 Dec 2000
By A Customer
boards of canada make more headway in their own direction. they seem to ride the edges of techno, hip hop and ambience until you find yourself meshed in another place where phat beats and calming melodic interplays are the norm. a place where music has finally become new. when i listened to this record in the shops i didnt respond at all, a common problem in the thumping musical maelstrom you normally find instore. however with their uncanny ability to make rhythms feel fresh and the way the music can touch an old school desire for distortion and rough edges without becoming harsh or too obtuse, im glad i relied on their skam reputation to pull my head round to buying this. with all their other stuff selling out so fast this is a must have!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the single best album ever, 2 Mar 2002
This review is from: Music Has the Right to Children (Audio CD)
boc's "music has the right to children" is the only album i force every one i meet to listen to, it is quite simply perfection. it is ambient electronica that somehow manages to sound as calming and natural as the sound of waves on a shore or the dawn chorus.
when you buy it and listen to it (a few times: unlike the majority of modern music it credits the listener with many subtle nuances that grow on you with each listening: minimal tracks such as "wildlife analysis" and "olson" - the lead in to "pete standing alone" (my favourite track)) you will start recommending it too, become a boc evangelist now!
put it on, close your eyes and realise that the the beauty of nature can be lovingly distilled onto 17 sections of plastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and hypnotic, 12 July 2001
This review is from: Music Has the Right to Children (Audio CD)
This was my first experience of the BOC. The album consists of 17 pieces of music and not one of them a duff track. This is how ambient music should be, haunting, rythmic and subtle. The only downside is that many of the tracks are too short, believe it or not (not usually the case with this type of music) but many tracks fade out after just a few minutes leaving you wanting more and wandering how they would have evolved if they had developed the ideas further. This album can be apreciated loud or quiet depending on your mood. Or how battered you are when you stick it on! Well worth a listern.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....invokes memory via analogue soundscapes and vocal samples, 21 Aug 2007
Having owned this amazing album for a few years now I still go back to it very often...its about time I shared my thoughts and reviewed it here...

I've never come across an electronic act capable of invoking such distant memories (childhood for example) on tracks like Aquarius...the use of vocal samples (e.g. children / old adverts) coupled with multi-layered analogue sounds and repetitive loops make this unlike anything else you've heard before - especially if your new to electronic music, it can be a huge sonic leap.

There are a few words to describe this album...abstract...warm...intelligent...nostalgic...some people may find it hard to listen to and it may take repeated listenings to really appreciate it - I'm more open minded however to diverse electronic sounds and for me it is a highly rewarding album.

Again like many people have commented already Roygbiv is the standout track...although short it is one of my favourite electronic tracks of all time. The opening bassline...its mid tempo...and the wonderful melody just makes it a perfect track - which can indeed make you cry.

Rue The Whirl is probably the most famous track off the album...it was used on Channel 4's comedy series Spaced and more recently on a Mercedes Benz TV advert.

You'll soon discover that you'll want more...there are other albums by BOC but this is regarded as their finest album. Geogaddi is also worth checking out. Its because of this album that I discovered Ulrich Schnauss and Sigur Ros - two other artists that produce alternative electronic soundscapes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Music Has the Right to Children
Music Has the Right to Children by Boards Of Canada (Audio CD - 1999)