5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning debut
Published on 5 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Come Back to What You Know
Ah yes, it is britpop: Simple hymns with walls of guitar and not much else). Embrace is certainly better than The Verve and not much worse than Oasis. Like them, this sounds terribly dated 10 years later but still a whole lot better than most in this genre.
Published 20 months ago by Lord Anon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning debut, 5 July 2000
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
For ages before this album came out, Embrace had been all mouth, convinced that this was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. They weren't far off with those statements as they produced a record of epic proportions. From the opening rattle of the kettle drum into 'All You Good Good People' right the way through to the epic ballad of 'The Good Will Out', this album is little short of stunning. Whilst the rock moments on the album ('One Big Family' 'Last Gas' 'I Want the World') are good, it is really with the ballads that this album comes into its own. Songs as emotionally charged as 'Retread' just hit you right in the heart. The best songs on the album are left until the end, with four epic tunes out of the last five: 'Fireworks', 'That's all Changed Forever', 'Now You're Nobody' and 'The Good Will'. If these four songs don't move you, nothing will. People complain about Danny's singing, and, alright, it isn't always perfect, but it fits the job here fine. If you don't already own a copy of this album, you must buy it as it is simply wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is...., 21 Feb 2006
G. Inch "fannyfromfalkirk" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
....a long drive with this album on the CD player.
These songs strike a chord with me like no other, which is probably why I'm a huge Embrace fan. Contrary to most other opinions, I actually like Danny Macnamara's voice, and I think it goes hand-in-glove with the Embrace 'sound'. This is an album that rises and falls through some of the best work the band has created, namely 'All You Good Good people', 'Come Back To What You Know', 'Fireworks', and my own favourite 'Retread'.
If I had to pick one album to have if I was stranded on a desert island, then this is it. 10 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album from an Awesome Band, 20 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
When you think of great debut albums you think 'Definetely Maybe' by Oasis or 'Word Gets Around' by the Stereophonics but this album ranks up there with the best of them. It starts off strong with such anthems as 'All You Good Good People' and 'Come Back To What you Know' and continues to be strong until the end with such classics as the sublime 'Fireworks' and the crowd favourite 'The Good Will Out'. This is a must for any fan of great music, a MUST for all CD collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars A guilty pleasure., 13 Aug 2007
F. D. Pastore "indie boy" (The cultural backwater of Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
I shouldn't like this band. People who know me would probably refer to me as a music snob - which isn't true - and here's the proof. I love this record and I love Embrace! A mate of mine at uni did me a copy of this album when it came out and I promptly chucked it in the bin without listening to it. That week I was moving out of halls and into a flat and for some reason I fished it out of the bin just as I was leaving. I'm glad I did because I couldn't stop playing it after that. For the next few months it was pretty much all I played. Maybe it was the sense of dislocation I felt after leaving uni and having to fend for myself (find a job, pay rent, be a grown up etc...) but the songs seemed to make sense. It sounds silly, but they really helped me! The intro may be nicked off Sgt. Pepper's but All You Good Good People is as good an anthem as you'll ever hear. Embrace got a lot of stick for trying to be like Oasis but that was just lazy journalism. Oasis could never write songs as good as these - more anthemic, louder, brasher - but what's truly amazing about this album is the deftness of touch. Fireworks, That's All Changed Forever and Retread are heartbreakingly good. Danny's voice is straining all over the place but that only adds to the fragility of the sentiments. The lyrics are great too. They don't read particularly well - in fact, they don't seem to make much sense on paper at all. Check out My Weakness Is None Of Your Business:

Don't wanna make a row
You do And it's your loss I'm around
I don't mind doing everything
Hallelujah you're the one come back now

When they're sung they sound like poetry to rival Keats! This album still sounds great today. Embrace lost their way a little bit - chewed up and spat out by their major label backers. To accompany this, get the b-sides compilation - Dry Kids. When they were making this album they had more great songs than they knew what to do with - most of them ended up as b-sides. I remember them playing Dry Kids live and it blew me away. They came on stage to big blinking lights that spelt out EMBRACE, punching the air like they'd won the cup. I repeat, I shouldn't like this band...

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Should Own This Album, 2 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
Embrace promised the world with their confident claims on the quality contained within this album. They then delivered exactly what they promised. This album is a stunning debut, it has heart-warming ballads, intelligent guitar solos and meaningful lyrics. The stand out tracks are the title track and 'That's All Changed Forever' if you prefer the slow-ones. 'Last Gas', 'One Big Family' and 'I Want The World' are also fantastic tracks. The album fits perfectly like a jigsaw and you will never get bored of it. now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly an essential 90s album, 14 Feb 2008
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
This album is in my view one of the best purchases I made in the 90s. It's the debut offering from Embrace, another northern band with (at the time) swagger and some anthemic music to back them up.

The singles here are spectacular in their quality - notably Come Back To What You Know and All You Good Good People, both of which were regular fixtures on the radio around their release, both of which hit the top 10, and both of which will make you go 'ahhh' if you don't think you know them now. The strength of the album, though, lies in the album tracks.

Embrace are kings of the uplifting crowd anthem (see the singles) but they are even better at bringing an optimistic twist out of some of the saddest and most heart-rending songs you can hear. The build of the piano-focussed title track is beautiful, and That's All Changed Forever was for a long time my favourite song of all time.

I can't recommend this album enough. It doesn't have the musical sophistication that some would like, but it makes up for all of it in bottle, and great, great songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ABSOLUTE CLASSIC. ALBUM OF 1998, NO QUESTION!, 13 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
First, lets deal with the criticism. Danny Macnamara can't sing? Rubbish! His voice is the perfect vehicle for the bands songs, and a brilliant foil for he sterling guitar work of his brother.Yes its fragile, sometimes breaking, sometimes dancing around the tune, but the point is IT WORKS. No- one else could sing these songs with such feeling. And as for the songs; epic, powerful,often beautiful. 'My weakness is none of your business' still makes me cry, a fabulous arrangement and stunning in its brevity. There honestly isn't a weak track on the album. (Which came first - 'Fireworks' or 'The Drugs Don't Work'? similar tunes, but the former is FAR superior.) If you love rock, love great songs and strong production, buy this record. You'll not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For broken hearts & come downs. Epic., 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
I bought this when it first came out...sometime around 97/98. I loved it then and I love it still. Come Back To What You Know is haunting, depressing, beautiful and rousing all jumbled together. This is not an album of merry indie ditties so be aware. This is an album for the morning after the night before..when the come down begins and the heartbreak hits home. I love Danny's unique voice..but it's definitely got that marmite quality.
This album blows me away every single time...epic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I find this 10 years ago?, 21 April 2007
P. Thompson (Wigan, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
I have had this album in my car for many months now and still listen to it. Danny may well be unable to sing like Luther Vandross, but all that means is that you can join in to a comparable standard when you want to belt out the perfectly arranged songs on a long trip home. It is a varied album and every song on it has merit and could stand alone. Buy this as you are suffering loss in your life without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
Mr. A. C. B. Ranatunga (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Good Will Out (Audio CD)
My favorite album of all time. Got me through many a struggle.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Good Will Out
The Good Will Out by Embrace (UK) (Audio CD - 1998)