Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

#1 HALL OF FAMEon 17 September 2003
Royal Trux were one of those bands- like fellow Pussy Galore descendents The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion- who received much critical adoration from the music press. Sadly it didn't translate into noticeable sales, which is unfair when you heard a mildly similar (if more retro) band like White Stripes doing well at this kind of thang...
As with several Pussy Galore albums, some Royal Trux material falls into the admire (rather than adore) camp; Accelerator puts pay to all that...and now sounds like one of the highlights of the 1990s (& there will only be one Accelerator as far as I'm concerned- somebody tell Primal Scream!)
The album remains highly listable- Stevie is probably my fave track (it was hearing this on a sampler that made me buy this album); though tracks like The Banana Question, Liar, and Another Year are as great.
There's not really much to say- if you want forward-backward (at the same time) thinking regarding music, want to hear something that advances on both garage rock and 70s rock music...Accelerator is the one. This album was surprising as it wasn't lo-fi or distorted feedback-frottage (with additional screaming...)- heck, it's the Highway 61 Revisted of the 90s. Except better...
on 31 August 2010
This is the first Royal Trux album I heard.
I love it, but strangely, I'm not that keen on the other stuff I've heard since.
I disagree with the reviewer who says it's over-produced.
It's richer and more sophisticated than their older stuff, but still kicks ass.
The other ones I've bought were Thank You, Pound for Pound and Veterans of Disorder.
Pound for Pound sounds very flat and boring, like a million other bands.
I'd be interested in other people's recommendations.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2007
I don't know, Royal Trux made a lot of great records. Accelerator is certainly their most invigorating and most immediate release. Who knows whether it's their best, it still deserves five stars. Buy it and play it loud in your car.