5.0 out of 5 stars A 70s Soundtrack From A 50s Movie!!
If "Grease" was meant to be a movie based in the 50s, why are there very little traditional rock'n'roll style tracks on this album? Ah, who care ?!! This soundtrack is simply a joy to listen to. Take away the fact most of the songs are cheesey and corny, what you have is an album that makes you feel good.
Some tracks are more well-known than others, but...
Published on 8 Nov. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Colour yourself calm
I was quite disappointed with this book it gave you a mandala on the left hand page to use as a guide and on the right page was a blank mandala you had to colour in. The detail on the one you had to fill in was not nearly as intricate or detailed as the one on the left. I would not recommend it
Published 12 days ago by MJ

5.0 out of 5 stars A 70s Soundtrack From A 50s Movie!!, 8 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
Some tracks are more well-known than others, but is there anyone living in the Western world that doesn't know the words to these songs? And even if you don't, how many of you have added your own words and ju sung along to the tracks anyway?!
The highlights? Frankie Valli's "Grease" captures the 70s 'disco' sound perfectly, so it won't come as a surprise to discover this was written by one of the Bee-Gees. "Summer Nights, "You're The One That I Want", "Greased Lightning", "Hoplessly Devoted To You" and "Sandy" are all as popular today as they were 23 years ago.
But there are a few hidden gems to be found as album fillers, most noteably the contributions from the 'real' 1960s group 'Sha-Na-Na'. Tracks including: "Born To Hand Jive", "Tears On My Pillow", "Those Magic Changes" and "Blue Moon" prove it's unfair to associate the "Grease" soundtrack CD only with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. Also, Stockard Channing's "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" also deserves a mention too.
Any naff songs? Yeah, but just a few. "Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee" reeks of 'naffness'(!), but on this soundtrack CD, the good outweigh the bad.
I first bought this soundtrack in the early 80s on vinyl (remember lp's?) and twice on audio cassette years later. Now I have two "Grease" CD's (inc. the 20th Anniversary Edition with CD-Rom). Now, if that isn't a recommendation you buy it, I don't know what is!
Just avoid anything associated with "Grease 2"!!!!
Jon:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Too Sure About The "Extras" Though, 28 Jan. 2004
Jon (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This new “25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition” (sounds pretty impressive, huh?!) arrived on the scene last Autumn with very little publicity or advertising behind it, so fans of the original soundtrack might be surprised at it’s availability. Still, for those who love the songs from “Grease”, this really is one of those “must have” CDs. Purists may not like this double CD however because all the initial songs have been digitally re-mastered to sound as if John Travolta, Olivia Newton John and the rest of the cast only recorded these tracks yesterday. But when the songs sound as good as they do on this revamped CD, what’s not to like about them? There’s nothing much anyone can add to what’s already been said about the soundtrack to Grease. It truly is a wonderful feel good album that’s stood the test of time really well - a soundtrack to be enjoyed by many generations to come. My interest in this new edition was the second disc, and for those curious at what these new versions are all about, I’ve decided to review that CD in more detail.
The added bonus of this “25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition” (how cool is that title?!) is the second disc, crammed full of mixes, megamixes and rarities. We begin with the “original” 1978 instrumental version of the title track (yes, it did appear on the b-side of the 7” single as I used to own it!). Nothing special about it, mind you as it sounds just like a karaoke track. The next three tracks on disc 2 (“Summer Nights”, “Hopelessly Devoted To You” and “You’re The One That I Want”) are “genuine” karaoke tracks, however - not songs you’ll be playing time and time again though (oh, and for those who don’t know the words to these timeless classics, you’ll find the lyrics inside the CD cover). Next up, another karaoke gem - this time, the “2003” version of “Sandy”. By this time you’re left wondering why all the fuss about this bonus disc (it’s free after all) when for 25 years, fans of the movie have been singing along to these songs without the aid of “karaoke/sing-a-long” versions. Methinks someone at Polydor caught wind of the upcoming “Greasemania” TV special and decided to give the movie’s real fans an opportunity to better those pop star wannabes who slaughtered those classic songs. I mean, could you do any worse?
John Travolta’s ‘single’ version of “Grease Lightnin’” is up next. Slightly shorter than the movie/album version - with a few naughty words omitted for good measure - but you’ll be hard pushed to notice the difference, making this a near-perfect copy of the version you’re most familiar with. This is followed by two “previously unreleased” instrumentals from the movie (“Rydell Fight Song” & “Greased Up & Ready To Go”). If you’ve seen the movie more than once, these instrumentals will be instantly recognisable to you as they featured throughout various parts of the movie. Still, the words “album” and “fillers” spring to mind after you listen to them - a perfect description of this bonus CD up to this point. Then comes the awful PWL produced “Grease Megamix”. Both John & Olivia have went on record by saying they hate this Megamix and it’s not hard to see why. If I were compiling this bonus CD for Polydor, I’d have included the 1998 “Ultimix” Megamix instead - a track far superior to this effort. That said, the next track - The Grease Dream Mix (again, produced by PWL) - more than makes up for it’s abysmal predecessor. Featuring the songs “Grease”, “Sandy” and “Hopelessly Devoted To You”, I’ll never understand why this Megamix never gained chart success - especially considering it’s shambolic forerunner was one of the best selling singles of 1990.
The final two offerings were originally released in Australia to commemorate the movie’s 20th anniversary back in 1998 and only available in the UK by import. So most won’t have heard the “new” versions of “Summer Nights” and “You’re The One That I Want”. Personally speaking, I didn’t like these remixes when I first heard them back when they were originally released and I still don’t like them today. “Summer Nights” -which is accompanied by a calypso-style backing track- is the better of the two, while “You’re The One That I Want” -to be brutally honest- is terrible. It’s a “trance” style remix that just doesn’t work for me (and I have since discovered it didn’t set the Australian music scene alight when originally released over there in 1998 either). I’ve been lucky enough to have heard several other remixes from the album over the past few years which knock the spots off anything featured on this bonus disc, so I’m surprised Polydor never considered featuring those ones. Quite frankly, this bonus CD makes the “Grease 2” soundtrack album appear one of the greatest pieces of musical work ever recorded! So to rate this awesomely titled “25th Anniversary DELUXE (no less!) Edition” , I give Disc One the maximum 5 stars, with Disc Two limping home with a measly 1.5. Then again, you’re not paying anything extra for this bonus disc, and considering the whole DELUXE edition is available for only £9.99, no-one’s forcing you to play it! But I do recommend you check out the beautiful “Grease Dream Mix”.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Reinvented, 26 Nov. 2003
A classic album reinvented for the next generation. How many times have you caught yourself singing in the shower along to grease lightning, summernights (along with the voice change when you move from sandy to danny) and forgotten the words. Now you can do that all over again but with the added bonus on disc 2 the sing a long versions mean you dont need to forget a word again. There is also bundles of new extras ranging from instrumentals to remix. But if all these extras aren't your cup of tea then just sit back and listen to disc one and relive the memories of a golden sountrack over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well this is good - you know what I mean?, 4 Feb. 2013
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
I starred in my school's production of this musical way back during the Thatcher years. The original version may well have been a '1970s take on 1950s musicals' but our production gave it an added little flavour of life in the 80s as well. I was a somewhat reluctant Danny Zuko. I wanted to be Sandy but the casting director was a tad too conservative for that and went down the rather mundane and extremely predictable route of casting a girl in the role instead. I still think I would have looked better in that black outfit than she did but there we go. Still, it was a great success. You can't really go wrong with a soundtrack like this even if the story was a little far-fetched, certainly by 1980s standards. I mean, Sandy has to completely transform her image purely to win the affections of a borderline Neanderthal car mechanic who does nothing to meet her efforts halfway except throw on a letterman sweater. We had none of that. My Sandy laid it on the line to me right before the final curtain. She had changed her appearance because SHE wanted to, not to impress 'some guy'. And if I thought she was going to be washing my dirty overalls I certainly had another think coming. The audience loved it. Germaine Greer should have had a complimentary ticket.

The sound quality on this disc is superb, especially through headphones. I say that in particular because I myself have a habit of buying CDs because of the presence of one song and then playing that song to destruction. In this case, we're talking about 'Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee'. Stockard Channing's voice is fantastic to sing along with but, having pondered the lyrics quite carefully one afternoon, I did start to wonder what sort of opinions the neighbours might be forming about me. Especially with me hitting the high notes so effortlessly.

'You're The One That I Want' is rather mysteriously to be found as Track 4 which is a little weird. You get the title track, which has the 1970s written all over it. We know by the end of it that the film is called 'Grease' though, so it does do its job. Then it's straight into the absolutely brilliant 'Summer Nights'. By the time we're through with that one we know that Sandy is as innocent as they come - either that or she is a very good liar. And we have also established that Danny is no gentleman and has one heck of a big mouth - either that or he is a very good liar. 'Hopelessly Devoted To You' is next, during which we realise the depths of Sandy's affections for this oik who has been so shamelessly tarnishing her reputation. And then, thanks to the presence of 'You're The One That I Want', we know that they end up together. The whole plot done and dusted in thirteen minutes. It's genius really.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Excellent Sound track Compilation for Posterity Purposes!", 30 Dec. 2011
Matloub Husayn-Ali-Khan "Matloub" (South Yorkshire, Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
I have done over 100 Reviews on Amazon and in my first ever review in June, 2008 I mentioned that the year 1978 was crucial to disco success of "Night Fever & Grease films/musicals". Well, finally, I am in the position to review those two crucial CD's of that "crucial" era: "Saturday Night Fever" (SNF) 1977-78 and "Grease" 1978.

On reviewing the: "Grease Original Soundtrack". This re-mastered CD compilation by Polydor (Polygram) I purchased at HMV, recently. This soundtrack sold over 28 million copies worldwide. As I understand it, the Soundtrack Album remained at the top of the Album charts in the UK, for 13 consecutive weeks in 1978!

Therefore, the top tracks are "Grease" - Frankie Valli; "Summer Nights" - Olivia Newton-John /John Travolta; "You're The One That I Want" - John Travolta/Olivia Newton-John;"Greased Lightning"- John Travolta; "Hopelessly Devoted To You" - Olivia Newton-John and "Sandy" - John Travolta. Point to note, that the songs presented in this CD compilation, are not in the same order of their appearance in the movie.

Overall, the other lesser known tracks from 1960s era by groups like the group 'Sha-Na-Na'. Tracks including: "Born To Hand Jive", "Tears on My Pillow", "Those Magic Changes"; "Blue Moon and Stockard Channing's "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" are not excellent but are okay apart from "Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee" which I found irritating.

Definitely an excellent Compilation Soundtrack worth purchasing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grease is the word!, 7 Oct. 2011
Puzzle crazy (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
Surely everone has seen the movie Grease at least once, right? Bad boy meets sweet girl, they break up then make up. OK, it's completely cheesy, but I would defy anyone to put this CD on and not start dancing around the room.This is a CD full of toe tapping feelgood songs that will cheer up even the grumpiest cynic!

Nearly all the tracks on this CD are iconic numbers that everyone knows the words to. There are so many good songs on here, it is really hard to pick a favourite. The style of most of the songs is 50's style Rock n Roll, but there are a couple of slow ballads thrown in too. There are actually 24 tracks on the CD, and I know you are thinking: "There weren't 24 songs in the film". But some of the tracks can be heard in the background in scenes in the movie where they are in the cafe, and other tracks are taken from the high school dance scenes.

Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film music album, 4 Jun. 2014
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
What can one say? If you liked the film you'll love this album. It's got all of the classic hits we all remember on it like "Sandy", "You're the One that I want" etc. Can't lose by buying this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a trip back to the 50�s with this fabulous soundtrack, 14 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
Everyone should have a copy of this CS - if you loved the film, you'll lover the soundtrack. Takes you back to the fun fifties with lots of energetic music. My absolute favourite is Born to Hand Jive which makes me want to dance wherever I am, a real fun, boppy, inspirational number. This is classic nightclub 'mad half hour' music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now its the Grease Soundtrack, 12 Jun. 2013
It is a great soundtrack from a classic musical from the 70's

As my girls were doing a Grease musical and wanted to learn the numbers what better way than to get them this to hear in the car and learn the words......

Word of warning perhaps my idea of getting this for the car may not have been my best idea as I am now sick and tired of hearing this on EVERY and I mean EVERY journey.......

Grease is the word.........

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Grease (Audio CD)
You can't beet this is a good old favourie lets you sing and dance in the house what everthe days like

Grease
Grease by Olivia Newton-John (Audio CD - 2007)